Obsessed with my scales :(

Options
Hi Everyone,

I'm seriously getting down, I am obsessed with my scale. Every morning I wake up and the first thing I do is run to my scales to see if I have gone down from the day before and if I haven't then I get really upset and lose my motivation. I know your nor meant to weigh yourself every day and I know your not meant to judge your success from a scale but I just cant help it.

I feel like the only way I am succeeding is when the numbers are dropping. Is anyone else like this? does anyone have any advice?

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I'm seriously getting down, I am obsessed with my scale. Every morning I wake up and the first thing I do is run to my scales to see if I have gone down from the day before and if I haven't then I get really upset and lose my motivation. I know your nor meant to weigh yourself every day and I know your not meant to judge your success from a scale but I just cant help it.

I feel like the only way I am succeeding is when the numbers are dropping. Is anyone else like this? does anyone have any advice?

You can help it, you choose not to.

The simple thing is to alter your goals to something not dependent on a scale. BF% ... a set of measurements ... a fitness goal ... etc.
  • tinkbaby101
    tinkbaby101 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Pack the scale away for a while, and pull out the measuring tape for a few weeks, instead. Or better yet, find motivation that isn't tied inextricably to the end results. Try out a new exercise routine, or set a goal for your current exercise activities, for example.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    I also weight myself every morning after going to the bathroom. I don't get discouraged when the scale doesn't show a drop because I know how my weight will fluctuate from day to day. I know that if I eat a lot of sodium the day before and didn't counter it with enough water intake, the scale will show higher than desired. You would think I wouldn't weight myself these days knowing what I know but I still do because that's how I determine my trends or patterns. It reminds me that I know what I did the day before and to not do it again the next day. If you are going to weight yourself everyday, you need to train you brain to not let it bother you. Your weight will fluctuate daily, you'll have your highs and lows, but in the end it'll all be worth it. Use the daily fluctuations as learning tools to know how your body reacts to certain foods and excersizes.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    This...only, pretend the arrow is pointing downward. (I can't find the actual picture anymore)

tumblr_lo9k5j8SE31qhtggqo1_500.jpg
  • alechua
    alechua Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I am somewhat obsessed with the scales in the sense of I feel accomplished whenever I see the scale drop even though I should be maintaining by now. However, I make sure I don't exceed weighing myself twice a month only the most. I would usually weigh the 1st day of the month and after getting my period. Try not to weigh yourself daily, I saw lots of comments that weight fluctuates during the day and so I don't weigh myself too often or it'll drive me crazy and might cause panic.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Pack the scale away for a while, and pull out the measuring tape for a few weeks, instead. Or better yet, find motivation that isn't tied inextricably to the end results. Try out a new exercise routine, or set a goal for your current exercise activities, for example.
    This. I'm not sure what motivates you but keep in mind that no one but you sees that number on the scale. Everyone else sees what can be measured by the tape. So... which one is really more important to you?

The measuring tape isn't going to show progress from day to day so make a plan to measure yourself every week on the same day, say Friday morning. If you really wanted, you could also make that weigh-in day.
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Actually, a recent study shows that people who weigh themselves everyday are more successful in losing weight as they're on top of any fluctuations and adjust accordingly, so don't worry about it too much :smile:

Here's where I read this if it helps:

Weigh Yourself Often

Time was, experts said to stay off the scale—it can be discouraging. But after studying 3,500 individuals from the National Weight Control Registry (NWCR) who've maintained 60 or more pounds of weight loss for at least a year, researchers found that 44 percent weighed themselves daily.

Unhealthy obsession? No, says James Hill, Ph.D., NWCR cofounder and director of the center for human nutrition at the University of Colorado. "They use it as an early warning system for preventing weight regain," he explains. "If your goal is to keep your weight at a certain level, you have to have feedback to see whether you're successful."

Read more: http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/motivation_to_lose_weight/Weight_Loss_Success_Strategy__1.php#ixzz34R6lvHrv
  • carlyjaner
    carlyjaner Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone,

I do try to stay away but sometimes you just can't help it. I will try and cut back though even if it is only once every 2 days to start with. :)
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday, I record it in a spread sheet and then move on.

Some days I am up, somedays I am down but it helps to see how certain foods affect my weight. Just look at it as a piece of data, the only thing that matters is an overall tread through the month.
  • PandaFat2Fit
    PandaFat2Fit Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I a,m way too obsessed with my scale. I weigh myself first thing in the morning, at least twice. I then periodically weigh myself throughout the day to measure fluctuations to see when the best time to weigh is. I weigh before meals, after meals, in between meals, etc... It's so ****ed up. I spend at least 30 minutes a day combined getting dressed and undressed...in pajamas...

I'm actually thinking of putting the scale up again because it's stupid how much I weigh myself.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Actually, a recent study shows that people who weigh themselves everyday are more successful in losing weight as they're on top of any fluctuations and adjust accordingly, so don't worry about it too much :smile:
    This is true unless every little upward fluctuation is a de-motivator, as the OP stated. I have no real problem with it; to me it's just a number and I know it goes up and down daily. However, some people get too emotional about the number. Those people shouldn't weigh themselves every day.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    This is why I got rid of my scales. I'd see no movement, get discouraged, and give up. I'm now measuring and going by clothing sizes to judge progress and I have stuck to it now longer than I ever did before.
  • veggie_jilly
    Options
    I'm in the minority on this. I weigh myself often... usually every day or every few days. While I do like seeing the number lower than the day before, I don't get down on myself if it's not. I understand fluctuations, water weight, etc. It's when I don't weigh myself that I get into trouble... if it's been too long I get scared of what the scale might say so I avoid it longer. That's just me though. I'm just saying, if you are like me and it helps you stay on top of things, go ahead and keep weighing yourself daily. Just remind yourself that daily fluctuations mean nothing in the long run; it's the overall trend you should concern yourself with.

ETA: I am now in the habit of looking at myself in the mirror BEFORE weighing myself. Generally, I am happy seeing my progress. This way I'm going onto the scale already knowing I'm on the right track, regardless of any daily fluctuation I might see on the scale.
  • Berkshire46
    Options
    OMG I am the same way I really hate getting on the scale in the Morning and nothing, no movement it sucks. I even take it one step further I weigh last thing at night and I know that is an unrealistic weight however I see the weight on the scale and then I think to myself well this is what I weigh before I go to bed so surely it will show a 1 - 2 loss by morning and then I weigh the next morning and darn it no change. I really need to weigh once a week but I just cant. Will not stop doing this, so not sure what the answer is.
  • NinaSharp
    NinaSharp Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I was in this really bad recently and didn't notice. I would weigh myself first thing in the morning and then when I came home from work. Finally I had to step back and try not to weigh myself at all. I finally gave in after a week and was totally surprised. My weight had changed dramatically once I stopped obsessing about it. But if you are getting an emotional response just from the act of weighing yourself, I advise to step away for a while. Put the scale up and pay attention to how your clothes are fitting.
  • hellosay
    hellosay Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Well, I weigh myself everyday. I tend to overeat unless I weigh myself in the morning and am more motivated to stay on track. If scale is going down, I will keep at it, if it went up, I keep harder at it. :P
    What bugs me is when the scale won't move. :( In that case, I don't weigh the next day.
    My idea is to weigh everyday, but only log the weight once a week.
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Yep, it does state that in the article but it also says that (like you) it allows people to monitor what foods/activities affect their weight. As you say thought don't let it de-motivate you.
  • Nightcometh
    Nightcometh Posts: 67 Member
    Options

Here's where I read this if it helps:

Weigh Yourself Often

Time was, experts said to stay off the scale—it can be discouraging. But after studying 3,500 individuals from the National Weight Control Registry (NWCR) who've maintained 60 or more pounds of weight loss for at least a year, researchers found that 44 percent weighed themselves daily.

Unhealthy obsession? No, says James Hill, Ph.D., NWCR cofounder and director of the center for human nutrition at the University of Colorado. "They use it as an early warning system for preventing weight regain," he explains. "If your goal is to keep your weight at a certain level, you have to have feedback to see whether you're successful."

Read more: http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/motivation_to_lose_weight/Weight_Loss_Success_Strategy__1.php#ixzz34R6lvHrv

I agree with this. When I watch how much my weight fluctuates over the course of a few weeks (hello water weight and TOM, anyone?) I'm so thankful that I weigh everyday. I watch for overall downward trend. If I only weighed once a week, I'd be so discouraged, since my weight can stagnate for days and then suddenly drop, or I can gain a bunch of water weight. If I only weighed once a week and it was when I was on a water weight day, of course it wouldn't be an accurate representation of what was really going on . It's better to know and understand more about my body than just wish and hope that everything is going well. I'd rather know than not know.
  • carlyjaner
    carlyjaner Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I a,m way too obsessed with my scale. I weigh myself first thing in the morning, at least twice. I then periodically weigh myself throughout the day to measure fluctuations to see when the best time to weigh is. I weigh before meals, after meals, in between meals, etc... It's so ****ed up. I spend at least 30 minutes a day combined getting dressed and undressed...in pajamas...

I'm actually thinking of putting the scale up again because it's stupid how much I weigh myself.

Thanks for your post, I think the only reason I don't weigh myself more throughout the day is that I read the most accurate time to weigh yourself is when you wake up. before you have eaten or drunk anything. I know your weight is meant to change around 3lbs from the morning to the night so I really don't want to discourage myself even more. x
  • cdnokie
    cdnokie Posts: 7
    Options
    Try taking measurements and going by that instead for a month or two. I am still obsessed with my scale but over time I give myself an allowance of at least 1-2 pounds in either direction before I panic. What I have found is that the scale goes up with sodium levels in my food, pain or inflammation I might have etc. The inches though continue to drop despite all of this. Keep in mind your body does fluctuate all the time so realistically if you are weighing yourself throughout the day it will obviously change tons ....pick a typical time or situation ..for me its 7am when I'm awake, have gone to the bathroom and before I eat or shower. That's the weight I record as my actual weight. I used to get on the scale before bed and figure it was a pound or two above what it would be in the morning etc etc but honestly it wasn't worth the stress. The more I focus on the inches that are coming off ..the changes in clothing and sizes ..the less I panic over the scale.