Favorite protein/nutrition bars?

Options

Replies

• wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people love Quest bars, but I definitely prefer Pure Protein Eat Good Look Great protein bars, specifically the blueberry and strawberry Greek yogurt covered ones. I get them at Market Basket and they are $1/piece.

After reading all the hype about Quest bars, I ordered a box of the Oreo Cookie ones. They are just okay in my opinion, but maybe other flavors are better. I was surprised that they have a gummy consistency and are irregularly shaped. The Pure Protein Ones seem more like a candy bar in shape, texture and flavor. And they have a similar nutritional profile to Quest bars.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    In before everyone says Quest Bars

^^^These. If you can't beat em. Join em.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

^^^These. If you can't beat em. Join em.

I just got a free box shipped over to NZ, JUST so I could jump in and agree. Quest bars!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I go for Quest bars also because of the lower carbs and especially the higher fiber.
  • thinbi
    thinbi Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Kind bars and I don't generally like bars. I'm surprised no one else has mentioned them!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    My two favorites right now.

Premier Protein- Double Chocolate Crunch.
    280cals
    6g fat
    26g carbs
    30g protein

Taste great to me but my wife does not care for them.

Market Pantry (Target Store Brand) Double Dark Chocolate.
    180 cals
    6g fat
    21g carbs
    12g protein

I like these when I need a small snack and they taste good. Macros are not as great though.
  • JenRunTriHappyGirl
    JenRunTriHappyGirl Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Wow... thanks guys! I have really just jumped on the protein bandwagon in the last 6 months or so. I am starting to take this triathlon thing a little more seriously and protein bars seem to be my breakfast of choice on tri mornings...... but the ones I have been eating are kind of a joke I know. Baby steps. I like the Luna bars because they have nutrients in them esspeciall for women. They also have new protein bars that I have not tried yet. I have had powerbars before and can stand them, though they are definitely not something I would eat regularly. In fact, I tried to stomach one before my half marathon and could only get through half of it because it was making me gag.... not to mention it was 4 am and I was not hungry.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    http://www.pureprotein.com/products/chocolate-deluxe-50-g/

Quest bars have too much added sugars and too many calories for my taste. The pure protein bar I eat has 180 calories, 3 g of sugar and 21g of protein (I think more than quest). They are yummy, not to expensive and have great macros for me.
  • hellonew2015
    hellonew2015 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    They are good except that they use Sucralose/Splenda :( which no need to do that since they are also using the good sweetener stevia. I guess more money in their pockets....

There's a good reason for that. I've got no brand loyalty at all, but nobody else offers close to what they do nutritionally.

Cookies & cream are my favorites, by the way.[/quote]

There's a good reason for that. I've got no brand loyalty at all, but nobody else offers close to what they do nutritionally.

Cookies & cream are my favorites, by the way.

• Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I like the Cliff Bars when I am in a pinch and just can't eat whole, real foods.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    They must have changed the formula for Pure Protein bars. I tried them 2 years ago and they were vile.
  • krisfrantzen
    krisfrantzen Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Quest is my fav right now. I am a texture person and still think they are the best.

Second are the simply protein bar very tasty

Then probably pure protein although the sugar alcohols you can really taste
  • friendlymush
    friendlymush Posts: 26 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Quest bars and Pure Protein bars are my favorites! Similar calorie-protein-sugar ratios, Quest has more fiber.

My favorite Quest flavors are cinnamon bun, raspberry white chocolate, and cookie dough.

The chocolate peanut butter caramel Pure Protein bar tastes just like a snickers! Other good flavors are blueberry, strawberry, and chocolate deluxe.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Wow... thanks guys! I have really just jumped on the protein bandwagon in the last 6 months or so. I am starting to take this triathlon thing a little more seriously and protein bars seem to be my breakfast of choice on tri mornings...... but the ones I have been eating are kind of a joke I know. Baby steps. I like the Luna bars because they have nutrients in them esspeciall for women. They also have new protein bars that I have not tried yet. I have had powerbars before and can stand them, though they are definitely not something I would eat regularly. In fact, I tried to stomach one before my half marathon and could only get through half of it because it was making me gag.... not to mention it was 4 am and I was not hungry.

For pre-exercise you might be better off with the energy bars that you are eating vs. a true protein bar. (See Hornsby's comments.) When I want something to eat when biking I think an energy bar offers more than a Quest (although I tend to plan poorly in general or just bring nuts and dried fruit).

That said, my breakfast before my tri a few weeks ago was a Zone Perfect bar (I like some of the flavors) plus a Think Thin bar. (This was not IMO ideal--I was out of town and did not have a refrigerator in my room. My time crunch breakfast pre race tends to be yogurt and banana, and in a perfect world I actually like to have oatmeal with berries and protein powder.) For a true protein bar I like Think Thin and some flavors of Quest (mainly the cinnamon, white chocolate raspberry, and chocolate chip cookie dough). I eat them post exercise more than before, since I'm not sure how the fiber would work and I do like more carbs.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I was surprised that they have a gummy consistency and are irregularly shaped.

I didn't like that at first (and was surprised by it), but they grow on you, or did on me, although only certain flavors.

That said, lots of people never like them, so I wouldn't think it was weird if you don't. ;-)
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Combat crunch bars!!!
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Honey bun type quest or chocolate chip cookie dough
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I know you asked for bars, but I actually really enjoy Lenny & Larry's Protein Fit Brownies or MuscleMed's Carnivore Brownies! Super delicious!

EDIT: I guess I should mention some kind of bar though, just because you asked xD
    The only Quest bars I've really enjoyed were the Double Chocolate Chunk and the Cookies & Cream flavor. Other than those I love any of Power Bar's Protein Plus Bars (mainly the vanilla)!
  • lingo10
    lingo10 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Quest Bars, Muscle Pharm Crunch, PowerCrunch. :):):):)
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    detourbar.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/960x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/s/i/simple-salted-caramel-cookie-dough_2.jpg

I used to eat like 4 quest bars a day because I thought they were so good but I've been actually liking these better. They are so good!