Physique or Strength??

Options
12346»

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Fat is really strong. Stronger than lean.

But, you guys are not getting what I'm saying and keep talking about cross-overs and athletes and body fat. Pure strength is different from all that.

If raw power lifting isn't a demonstration of strength....then I don't know what is?

Perhaps your standards for what is considered "strong" are misguided.

Nope. That's what I'm talking about in this case. Youre' making it too complicated. This is why I hate this place sometimes. I wish people would take things a little lighter and stop nit picking every detail. I feel like I have to write a 20 chapter book to fully explain, or else it will be torn apart. Who has time for that?

well pound for pound- most top lifters are in the 140-160 weight class. most of them are not fat.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Initially, health and wellbeing. That improved in the first 6-12 months whereafter I shifted my focus more heavily to strength. Now, I'm phasing more toward physique, while still doing a lot of work for strength.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Both, but I am more mindful of physique. If my strength gains have to slow down so I can maintain or lower body fat I am fine with that.

Initially it was all about losing weight to be healthy. Then growing muscle to look better and now improving strength is really important as well.
  • marleyskye05
    marleyskye05 Posts: 138
    Options
    Both. I feel like they go hand in hand.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Both. I feel like they go hand in hand.
    They do go hand in hand, but training for strength doesn't maximize aesthetics, and training for aesthetics doesn't result in maximum strength gains.
  • Qen74
    Qen74 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I started powerlifting as a hobby when I was in my early 30s and my motto has always been the same

I lift to be strong, not to look pretty.

For those who are new to lifting, even most pro bodybuilders will tell you... start with a powerlifting style workout to get a strong base and get your strength up. Those "bodybuilding get ripped etc etc" workouts you see in magazines arent going to help you if you cant lift heavy enough weights to do any good.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    I want to lose weight and be able to open my own jars and shizz.