People who were successful at shedding 50+ pounds

Options

Replies

• sphinxdust
    sphinxdust Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    About 8 years ago, I went from a thick and flabby and lumpy 210 pounds to beginning a new strict diet and exercise program at home with my dumbbells, bench press, and morning yoga before breakfast. I lost over 25 pounds in the first month, probably about 45 pounds by month 2, and 50-55 pounds by three months. I had not intended to lose 60 pounds, but some time after one year of still remaining steady at 155 lbs., I lost another 5 pounds inadvertently by being to busy with work for a week and vowed to begin gaining healthy muscle weight. I am now about 190 pounds and more muscular than I've ever been in my life.
  • nyiballs
    nyiballs Posts: 147
    Options
    5'11" male, started at 250, down 70 lbs in 5 1/2 months
  • jlgobert
    jlgobert Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It has been a little over a year and I have lost 100lbs. It has been a long journey and I have had to re-think how I see food and why I eat. I used to eat because I loved food, but now I still love food but I eat to live healthy.
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    It took me 8 months to lose 100 pounds.
    I slowly gained and now have 10 pounds to lose.
    It is much harder to keep it off then it was to get it off the first time
  • jenschroll
    jenschroll Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    94 as of this week, have been losing since May of 2013 with more to go!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    bump
  • fpelletier
    fpelletier Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    A little less than 8 months to lose 50lb, I started May 7 and on Jan 1 I was down 50 :)
  • gcbma
    gcbma Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Today's my 365th day on MFP and am down 74.2 lbs. I lost 50 of it in about 6 months.
  • atiral
    atiral Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    57 pounds in 5 months. Results definitely not typical. I don't have my goal set at 2 pounds either. I keep it at 1 pound per week but sometimes eat over or under.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It took me exactly 6 months to lose my first 50... then 20 in 6 months... then 10 in 4 months.
  • Sailatsorf
    Sailatsorf Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it super slow. 70lbs in 3 years. On the plus side, it's taken me long enough that my appetite has completely changed, and I don't see myself ever going back to overeating. Slow and steady wins the race!
  • mary659497
    mary659497 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for sharing your story. You are all amazing.
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Took me about 9 months to lose 50 pounds. I have readjusted my goals many times along the way. I also plateau occasionally (or as I call it, "unintentional maintenance").

I still have a ways to go. And I'm enjoying the process. :drinker:
  • RosieWest8
    RosieWest8 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I started Jan. 13, 2012 and reached my 'goal' weight July 24, 2013. So ~1.5yrs. That's 1.5yrs with some short time periods where I was not exercising/eating well just due to life circumstances/being a bit lazy. I have continued to eat well and exercise so I've lost a few pounds beyond what my goal was (or maybe I just don't have the calculations right to maintain my weight but it's all good).
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Lost 138# in 2.5 years.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I'm down 87lbs and its taken me 2.5 years
  • harleykat64
    Options
    96 lbs total so far, three years with a pregnancy in the middle of it :)
  • lmm2323
    lmm2323 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have lost 63lbs since the beginning of February (amost 5 months). I have watched what I eat, good proteins, no sweets except for an occasional Hershey minniatures, lots of fruits and veggies, 3 meals and 3 snacks each day....each one includes some proteins, I eat from all the food groups. I have a trainer for an hour a week...2 half hour sessions and then I try for at least 2 other days of cardio at the gym. I really think the key to my success is my trainer who works different parts of my body each session which keeps my metabolism from getting complacent.
  • KameHameHaaa
    KameHameHaaa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I went from 410 to 350 in about seven months. But after that I plateau'd for a year =/ I just now started losing weight again, down to 341.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!