Low Budget, Feel-Good Recipes!

Options

Replies

• superdeedooper
    superdeedooper Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Pineapple fried rice... YUM! Thanks for sharing. I'll gather my thoughts and post something later.
  • KatherineMichelle72
    Options
    I just made these 2 ingredient pancakes and they filled that craving for heavy breakfast foods. The 2 ingredients are 1 banana and 2 eggs. I added some cinnamon too. It made about 6 small-medium pancakes. The density is between a crepe and a pancake.

I have been craving pancakes for over a week..but I am also diabetic and so I stay away from them... just did the numbers on these...

if you make it into 2 servings... Calories-134...carbs-16...protien-7...fiber-2

going to get the bananas today and just got a pint of blueberries so I might add in a few of those as well! Thanks!
  • ptheders
    ptheders Posts: 24
    Options
    I'm a sucker for almond butter as well, so I buy the prepackaged packets of Justin's. That way I can't do the "just one more spoonful..." thing :)
  • mswaters27
    mswaters27 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm a sucker for almond butter as well, so I buy the prepackaged packets of Justin's. That way I can't do the "just one more spoonful..." thing :)

I am the same way. Its cheaper to buy a whole jar but its SO hard not to eat more than one serving! I love the Justin's packets! I like to bring one to work with a green apple as snack!
  • mswaters27
    Options
    One of my favorite cheaper healthy meals I have recently thrown together: Curried cauliflower w/ Quinoa. Quinoa is super versatile and affordable, especially when bought in bulk and a head of cauliflower is usually not more than $4 and yields a lot!. The other day I made roasted cauliflower (Broken into bite size pieces, tossed in 1 tbsp. melted coconut oil, salt, cracked pepper, cayenne pepper, and curry powder, baked at 375 degrees until tender and golden brown) I like to roast cauliflower like this a lot- it can be seasoned any way you can imagine and goes well as a side or main dish. I cook the quinoa with diced sautéed yellow onion and chicken or vegetable broth instead of water to make it flavorful. Toss cooked quinoa with the roasted cauliflower, wilted spinach, and julienned red bell pepper. You can add any other vegetables you'd like! Cauliflower makes it super filling and hearty while the quinoa provides more protein than rice.
  • mswaters27
    Options
    I also like to make a southwest style quinoa (cooked the same way- with sautéed onion and broth instead of water) tossed with cilantro, black beans, corn, tomato, avocado, red onion, bell pepper, lime juice, salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder. Its amazing with some marinated shrimp or chicken, too!
  • LisaC101
    LisaC101 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Beans, lentils, most whole grains, and eggs are cheap. These make up most of my diet everyday along with lots of fresh herbs, fruits, and veggies. ;)

I also cook beans from dried. My favorite way is to do a quick soak. Bring to a low boil for about a half hour, drain, then add to a crockpot with lots of water to cover and plenty of olive oil. I almost always add an onion and some garlic too, and sometimes some veggie scrapings if I have them. I don't want to give times because its so dependent on the types of beans, age, heat of crockpot, etc.

I usually make two kinds at a time. One in the crockpot and one in the pressure cooker. Same method, quick soak, drain, water, oil, cook until soft. In the pressure cooker I generally cook for half an hour, see how they are doing, and then check every 15-20 minutes.

Make a big helping, portion out, and freeze in decent quality freezer bags like ziploc. I put all my small bags into a larger bag that has the date and what it is on it.
  • bigblondewolf
    bigblondewolf Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I also like to make a southwest style quinoa (cooked the same way- with sautéed onion and broth instead of water) tossed with cilantro, black beans, corn, tomato, avocado, red onion, bell pepper, lime juice, salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder. Its amazing with some marinated shrimp or chicken, too!

This sounds absolutely heavenly! Definitely adding to my list of recipes to try :)
  • sdps720
    sdps720 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I make a 2 ingredient crepe.

2 eggs
    2 oz fat free cream cheese

Put in the blender until smooth
    makes 6 med or 4 large crepe

I normally fill mine with strawberries or blackberries and just a touch of sugar free whip cream. These are very indulgent for little calories.
  • lore11a
    lore11a Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options

I love quinoa and I love all things Mexican/southwest flavored. I can't believe I haven't thought of this before. Thanks for sharing!! :)
  • mandes31
    mandes31 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi-
    One of my go-to's I got from a diet book. It's black beans, brown rice, salsa and greek yogurt. In expensive and healthy!
  • Hazelcat60
    Options
    I tried Justin's Maple Almond Butter and loved it, but when I did some reading on it, someone said that it wasn't healthy, and you should opt for raw, no-salt, organic almond butter. I bought some at the health food store (can't recall brand name - had "tree" in it though - Tree of Life, maybe?) and it was $19.05 and it tasted awful - bland - like eating gritty paste. So I'm flummoxed - go for the better tasting Justin's, or forego almond butter altogether for the much more affordable Jif peanut butter?
  • danaberge
    danaberge Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I love all these ideas! Especially about beans. I can't afford "real" meat every night. I will be slow cooking my own :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Pizza - I use a regular crust, not bread. I just make it a thin crust, lots of veggies, reduced fat cheese

Nachos - lean ground meat or shredded chicken, mashed pintos or black beans, reduced fat cheese, salsa, onion, jalapeno, guacamole. And I really load up the chips so I eat less of the chips and more of the yummy stuff.

Spaghetti w/ meatballs - Fiber Gourmet low calorie pasta, red sauce with lots of veggies, sometimes with crumbled tofu, meatballs made with lean meat (venison is my favorite when we have it) and some type of whole grain (bulgur, oats, quinoa). a little parmesan

Beans and cornbread - Okay, this one doesn't need much tweaking but it was my favortie comfort food as a child. I do not add a glob of bacon fat in mine now though. top with chopped scallions

Peanut butter and jelly sandwich - I now use natural pb, either sliced fruit or no added sugar jam, and thin sliced wholemeal bread

tuna or egg salad - I now use less mayo, more mustard and add chopped hot pickled cauliflower, and often serve it over dark leafy greens instead of on bread.

ETA: Also, soups, stews and chili - these can be very budget and diet friendly.

Also, usually every month or so whole pork loin, which is a lean cut, usually goes on sale here for $1.99 a lb. I buy one, cut it half, either stew one half with root vegetables or make pork bbq, then thick slice the rest of it for pork chops.
  • ryblueeyes
    ryblueeyes Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Saving this for later!
  • shannonerdelyi
    shannonerdelyi Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    budgetbytes.com
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Bump to come back and try some of these.

Some ideas from me:

A cheap quick and easy meal that's good for taking to work:
    - rice/quinoa/etc
    - beans of your choosing (I like chick peas)
    - greens (swiss chard, kale, whatever)
    - hot sauce optional

I precook the rice and beans and put them in a container, sprinkle some hot sauce on it, and then layer raw greens on top (if you use kale maybe wilt it a bit before hand). Then I microwave it at work and it cooks the greens just a bit. Mix together and enjoy!

I also make lentil and veggie soup on a regular basis. It's a great way to use up veggies in my fridge that may be a little past their prime. Broth, spices, hot sauce, lentils and veggies. I portion it into serving size containers and then they are ready to grab and go anytime (and it freezes and reheats really well too).
  • leradoms
    leradoms Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You should check out the site Buget Bytes: http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com/
    She is also on pinterest, her recipes are awesome.