Anyone in the 50's going for the 60's

Options

Replies

• jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    It's all in your head. I turned 60 a few months ago, and I am in better shape than I was at 59 & 3/4.
  • joann
    joann Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Wow almost everyone story is the same including mine. Im 56, going thru menopause, hip replacement, thyroid taking out, Im currently having laser being done on my veins in my legs.. All I can say is Im trying..been doing pretty good the last couple of months. Looking for as many friends and support people I can..anyone is free to add me.
  • Dianemarie58
    Dianemarie58 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Just started again on the 10th. This seems to be the only thing that works for me. I am 55, 56 in august. I have several minor illnesses that add up to me having trouble going outside and exercising. Aches and pains, you know what I mean. I have lost 11 lbs so far and I have a goal of 80 more. Would love to be in shape before the 60's hit. lol
  • Seabee74
    Seabee74 Posts: 314
    Options
    If I knew I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself :)...
    58 here. Been with mfp since Sept 13. It works if you work it !
    Always looking for supportive friends that I too will support. Anyone who is doing this, feel free to add me !!
  • gardendolly
    gardendolly Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Oooh, I know how that feels. I will be 59 later thus year, but like the rest, I have no idea where that time went. I lost about 30lbs -ok, so I lost it slowly - but then holidays happened, and then i broke my ankle and it all stopped. Somehow i managed to maintain while my ankle mended. Recovered now, and starting to exercise again, I need to get back on the losing track again. I'm struggling to get back in the place I was before when I lost my weight. Hey ho, its a slow process, but I will get there. New friends always welcome.
  • Loumarberts
    Loumarberts Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Herniated disk is a wake up call. Somehow that is when I first felt "I'm broken", the shock lasted a full year until one day I was able to breathe. I am the bread earner of the family, it was a serious crisis for me.
  • Loumarberts
    Options
    Quoted from above:

However, I eat cleaner, have a better mindset and to keep the joints and ligaments loose at my desk job, I set reminders on my calendar every hour to get up and do 45 seconds of an exercise. I have a timer bookmarked. I have different ones each hour (squats, jumping jacks, pushups, burpees..etc). At first, my co-workers thought I was losing it, now they don't even look in my direction. It seems to help, and I actually feel less tired and stiff.

No worries, I do that at work too, however being on my feet require more stretching moves to ease the muscles, like you everyone thought I was loosing it, but now they do it too!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I will be 60 in less than a month. My metabolism has gone WAY down in the last 10 years so now the only way I can lose weight consistently is to exercise. It does get harder as you get older but it gets easier the more you do it. Also improves your emotional state as well as your physical one, which makes you feel younger. I exercise for at least an hour every other day and it really helps.
  • slimmermeja
    Options
    Hi i'm 58 this month also looking for friends my own age
  • rkmeyer41
    rkmeyer41 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I want you all as friends!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If I knew I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself :)...
    58 here.

I can relate to that!

58 & never felt better. I started running a few years ago and nobody warned me that 5K races were a gateway race.......:laugh:
  • Catherine0959
    Options
    But it can be done. What is working for me is logging what I eat, working out and veggies, veggies, veggies! If I offer a salad for dinner, my husband might say that he had a salad for lunch, but when I asked him what he ate today he said that he had an toasted egg sandwich for breakfast, an apple for morning snack, a salad (3 - 4 veg) and protein for lunch, a banana for afternoon snack and pizza for dinner ( he tried to count the 2 mushrooms on the pizza as veg). We really need to acknowledge realistically the vegetables we are eating.

I have lost 7 pounds in the last six weeks - slow and steady wins the race :)
  • Loumarberts
    Options
    Hello guys and gals, I am wondering if anyone exercises in a gym,(at home or other), walks, runs, for certain distance or time? I thought it might be a good thing to acknowledge our hard earned calorie fighting efforts, here. We all can encourage those that are working at it and encourage those who need a nudge. Also it is a good place to ask and receive some advice, share some pictures of our journeys.

I would feel it makes being true to your goal a bit more accountable when you have your friends see your progress each day or week.

Anyone, what do you think?

Marilyn
  • vls1127
    vls1127 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi, so glad that this thread is here. I am 54 and will be 55 in November. I had lost 75 lbs back in 08/09 and got down to my lowest adult weight by doing exercise and low carb. But, after I met my current husband, the weight has crept back. I still continued to exercise, but nothing like what it had been when I took the weight off. My self esteem managed to hit bottom again. I am a past gastric bypass from 01 also, so I too have run the gamut of various methods of wt. loss. I am sick of it.

On FB, there is a group that spun off of a low carb group called the 90 day challenge. The person that started it is very encouraging. Through that, I decided to restart using MFP. I used it barely back in 11 and found a weight I had posted that was under 200. Needless to say, I am now well in the 200's. Because of the members on the FB group commenting about activity trackers, I bought a Fitbit One, and have been using it since last Saturday. I began my 90 day challenge on May 28. My oldest son's bday, he turned 30 that day.

I am ready to beat this devil once and for all. Hopefully with sustained determination.
  • davlin41
    davlin41 Posts: 4
    Options
    do I ever!! I feel like since turning 50 my body is seizing up on me bit by bit. My flexibility is almost non existent and as for weight loss!! Huh - is it ever going to happen?? I successfully lost 28lbs ....... 15 years ago!!! Can I do it now? Well Ive managed about 15oz in the last month is thats anything to go by lol. I would be happy to hear your story though if you find you can relate to any of this. :ohwell:
  • possummama
    possummama Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I am 56 and have always struggled with my weight. Things have happened to my body that I never thought would!! And although I remain active and eat right it's just not as easy as it used to be. I mostly struggle with fatigue, I feel like I've lost my "mojo".
    So, here I am looking for support and finding it! It's so good to know I am not alone or crazy! :smile:
  • LinzyHendrix
    Options
    I am 54 also, and will be 55 in November too. I just got started on MFP a few days ago. I started my weight loss journey several weeks ago and lost 11 lbs prior to signing up on MFP. I want to get back to my wedding weight of 131, from 20 years ago. I have 32 lbs to go. Lucky for me my husband is also watching his weight, so it makes cooking, meal planning, shopping easier for me (he is not a picky eater). He gets to have 1800-2000 cal for his weight goal, I am limited to 1340. I have lost 2 lbs since signing up to MFP.

Before signing up for MFP, I was eating very healthy food and limiting my calories to 1200-1500cal/day. According to MFP, my calorie limit should be 1340cal. I am eating the same foods, but just looking at my evening meal calories allowed left for the day dwindle down to nothing has really disturbed my psyche. Before MFP, I just ate what I knew was healthy and I knew that I had
    a few hundred calories left to play with at the end of the day. I usually ended up the day having consumed 1200-1300 cal. I knew if was really hungry, I could indulge in a late night snack if I felt I needed it. Now I just look at how few calories left before I go "over". It frustrates me. Is there anyone else who has this feeling? Are there other tools I should be using instead of this calorie limit?
  • eihope
    eihope Posts: 5
    Options
    :smile: I joined myfitnesspal first on my new Iphone (never thought I'd like a smart phone but boy, am I loving it!) It is wonderful for tracking my foods and fitness. A food diary is always a great tool and having the convenience on the phone is just great. I am 59 and will be turning 60 next winter. It has been a struggle for me lately and I'm just trying to get back to basics. So far, I am on a 10 day streak - which is pretty good for me at this point. My first goal is to lose about 10 lbs (more if I'm lucky) for my daughter's wedding coming up in just 7 weeks. Doesn't seem like it would be hard to lose 10 lbs, but after I lost the initial water weight and garbage weight, the real stuff is harder to tackle. The 10 lbs will definitely make my dress look and fit better. The scale hasn't budged this week at all so far - but I do feel really good and I feel like my clothes are fitting better. Sometimes I feel a little disappointed but I need to keep going forward. I try not to only focus on the scale. I am exercising - walking, working with weights. I could be doing more but I am trying to be gradual about it. 60 is kinda scary but I figure if I feel good and am healthy - then it's just merely a number.
  • PaulaKac
    PaulaKac Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hello, 58 hear. First time with mfp, logged on 2 weeks ago
  • christinecsaucier
    christinecsaucier Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hello! Turned the big 50 back in March and have decided to get going and get rid of the old menopot! Could use a few friends on the same journey!