Suggestions for replacing Wheat Thins

Options
lukewind
lukewind Posts: 177 Member
When I started losing weight I basically just began to gradually take away all the bad foods. For the first month I ate anything I wanted so long as I stayed within my calorie limit. Slowly and surely I got rid of almost all the bad things in my diet. After a year I no longer drink soda, I don't eat red meat, and I have increase fruit and veggie consumption quite a bit.

My daily meals consist of a turkey wrap with chipolte mayo with a side of Wheat Thins (spicy buffalo). I will sometimes eat this exact same meal three times a day. Lately I have mixed things up a bit by making some turkey burgers with sweet potato fries and some other things but I feel like I am eating way too many wheat thins a day. I am still losing weight so its not like its stopping me there, but I kind of want to start weening myself off the wheat thins and all the salt they bring to my diet.

So I usually have about 280 calories of wheat thins with each meal. Can anyone recommend something filling around that same amount of calories that I can substitute for wheat thins?

These wheat thins are the last unhealthy thing left in my diet and I want to get off of them but its hard to find something as satisfying.

Replies

• martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Try Quaker rice cakes, and the Veggie Chips.... both are amazing.
  • lukewind
    Options
    Try Quaker rice cakes, and the Veggie Chips.... both are amazing.

I tried the rice things, they were awful to me, will give the veggie chips a try though. Thanks!
  • chad_phillips1123
    chad_phillips1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Triscuit makes a new kind that may be a bit healthier (I think they're made from beans or something; haven't tried them). Some baked chips or no/low salt pretzels may be a good sub as well.
  • fit_rox
    fit_rox Posts: 83
    Options
    Mary's Gone Crackers, Kashi Crisps, or Crunchmaster Multigrain crackers. Wheat thins makes a 100% whole wheat/whole grain cracker now too though don't they?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I eat Wheat Thins because I think they are a heatlhy cracker option. :laugh:

But, I can see not wanting to eat so many of them. Without knowing what criteria you're looking for, I'd suggest veggie sticks and hummus, tortilla chips and salsa (baked tortilla chips for lower calories), fruit and reduced fat cheese, veggies and reduced fat dip, or deviled eggs.

ETA: Fiber Gourmet makes low calorie crackers, but I'm not sure how good they are. I've had their pasta and like it, but never tried the crackers.
  • lukewind
    Options
    I eat Wheat Thins because I think they are a heatlhy cracker option. :laugh:

But, I can see not wanting to eat so many of them. Without knowing what criteria you're looking for, I'd suggest veggie sticks and hummus, tortilla chips and salsa (baked tortilla chips for lower calories), fruit and reduced fat cheese, veggies and reduced fat dip, or deviled eggs.

ETA: Fiber Gourmet makes low calorie crackers, but I'm not sure how good they are. I've had their pasta and like it, but never tried the crackers.

Thanks, will give some of that a try.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Hoe about some popcorn? Or grapes & nuts? I personally hate raw veggies as a side dish, except for cucumber), but the veggie chips are good!

Oh, and Pirate's Booty, too!!!
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    It's not even vaguely the same but throwing my two cents in anyhow: baby carrots and hummus. I used to eat chips with everything and the lone sandwich in the plate looked so sad with nothing on the side. And I had to have something crunchy.

Calories will be alot lower but for me it got me over the hump. I just started adding a handful with everything.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Wheat thins has some kind of popped crackers now... 130 calories a serving but it's like 28 chips and a pretty big serving, and they are delicious.
  • carriecoo
    carriecoo Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I really like the Special K Multi Grain crackers
  • lukewind
    Options
    I really like the Special K Multi Grain crackers

Picked up some of those today to give them a try...thanks!
  • lukewind
    Options
    Hoe about some popcorn? Or grapes & nuts? I personally hate raw veggies as a side dish, except for cucumber), but the veggie chips are good!

Oh, and Pirate's Booty, too!!!

Got some pistachios and almonds and will give them a try. Thanks
  • thenolanz
    thenolanz Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Pop Chips are great and come in a bunch of flavors!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy the wheat thins, and your diet consists of mostly whole and nutrient dense foods (what I mean by this is that the 280 calories of wheat thins are not robbing you of adequate nutrient intake by displacing nutritious foods), and the wheat thins are not preventing you from reaching your weight/body composition goals, then why exactly are you trying to eliminate them?
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I like the kashi hummus crisps, veggie straws (lots of brands, I usually buy stop & shop), pop chips (also can get the store brand of these), Chia crisps, I really like those blue diamond nut crackers, late july tortilla chips (they are basically like doritos), quaker just came out with their own hummus crisps, white cheddar and herb is bangin'... I'm a sucker for any kind of new "exotic" looking chips/crackers/crisps, but I have to be able to eat a lot for a low calorie value. Popcorn is pretty good for that. Popcorn Indiana white cheddar is 150 calories for 28g - which is a whole lot of pop corn.

ETA: I didn't realize that you wanted a substitute because you're deeming them unhealthy, thought you wanted variety. Should read the whole thread before answering. Duh. Yeah, don't cut out wheat thins, there's nothing wrong with them. Personally I think they are super boring and have this weird sweet taste that crackers shouldn't have (also why I hate ritz) but whatev.
  • ErinMcMom
    ErinMcMom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Pop chips, Veggie Straws or popcorn.
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    not sure why wheat thins should be unhealthy... but I have bread. satisfying :)
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I do not see wheat thins as being unhealthy at all.
  • maraq
    maraq Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Try larabars (the only ingredients are nuts and fruit). Or some hummus and carrots/celery sticks. An apple & peanut butter or sunflower seed butter or baked sweet potato wedges. When you try to move away from snacks that come in a box you might have to spend a little time once a week preparing portions of snacks so you are ready to go when you are hungry. It will seem like a pain at first but after awhile you won't think twice about it - it will just be something you do automatically.
  • tigergem86
    tigergem86 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    ive heard that baking shredded monterey jack cheese gets crispy in the oven