I hate yogurt

Options

Replies

• aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Can I ask why you're forcing yourself to eat something you can't stand?
    I'm just curious. :smile:

Well, I'm currently on Depo; I'm on it to help with my horrendously painful monthly cycle. The doctor has warned that it can cause thinning to the bones in some patients, and encouraged me to up my calcium. I eat cheese, get a splash of milk in my daily coffee, ect, but I want to incorporate more dairy into my diet. I don't just want to be taking calcium pills and relying on those.

Plus, I know it's good for you! So I figured, if I can make myself like swiss, I can at least try to incorporate it into my foods! In smoothie/frozen yogurt form, I'm fine. But just trying to find ways that I can hide it in my meals and still get a little more calcium into my days.
    You can get calcium from so many other things. http://bunniesinneed.net/calcium-content-leafy-greens-2/ site is for bunnies, but it tells of all the calcium in many different vegetables. lol
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options

Well, I'm currently on Depo; I'm on it to help with my horrendously painful monthly cycle. The doctor has warned that it can cause thinning to the bones in some patients, and encouraged me to up my calcium. I eat cheese, get a splash of milk in my daily coffee, ect, but I want to incorporate more dairy into my diet. I don't just want to be taking calcium pills and relying on those.

Plus, I know it's good for you! So I figured, if I can make myself like swiss, I can at least try to incorporate it into my foods! In smoothie/frozen yogurt form, I'm fine. But just trying to find ways that I can hide it in my meals and still get a little more calcium into my days.
    It scares me that so-called medical professionals implore us to go on potentially harmful birthcontrol to combat the pain of our periods. It seems counterintuitive and bandaid-y. Have you looked into why you get such a painful cycle? Is there a root concern you could address instead of being on Depo?
  • sammama5
    sammama5 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I"m not a huge fan either, but eat the Greek because it helps balance out my macros so well. I add honey, frozen blueberries, strawberry sauce, and/or oats. I try to change it up, because really, my least favorite is plain with honey. It really makes me want to gag, but since it has no fat, it allows me to get some fat somewhere else (maybe a serving of chocolate chips, for instance.) It balances out for me, and the health benefits are worth it even if I don't adore it.

Also, I have used it on occasion in place of sour cream in a recipe...it's not gonna work on a baked potato for me. :-P
    Beef stroganoff & chicken alfredo are two that come to mind that it helps cut the fat and calories.
  • benaddict
    benaddict Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Definitely try almond milk, it has more calcium than cow milk.

I can't stand vanilla or honey flavors of yogurt. I eat peach Chobani Greek pretty much every day, but now that peaches are in season I'll probably start doing what I did last summer and slicing up a fresh peach to mix in my plain Chobani. Also, Voskos makes a coconut flavored yogurt that I really like.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy ricotta cheese. It's not as sour as plain yogurt and it's not as salty as cottage cheese (not that there's anything wrong with salt, but I usually have a sweet tooth :happy: ).

I take some ricotta cheese (Dairy Farms makes a ricotta cheese that's closer to the texture of yogurt) and mix it with instant coffee. It is so tasty! Plus I get the same amount of protein and calcium. I highly recommend it!
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Today was day one of trying to make me like yogurt for the 8239892nd time.
    I decided I hate it. Definitely hate it. I've given it far too many tries over the years. The greek yogurt I tried today pretty much turned me off from trying again anytime soon. It looked, tasted, and smelled like butt, even though it wasn't past its expiration date. I tried to like it, I really did. I even found this gold star that summarizes my efforts:

4756207+_9a7958b39fb87b7bc0fbb8f435ea162d.png

How can I be sneaky and sneak more yogurt into my macros, without having to eat it straight up? I've tried it in smoothies and enjoy that, but there has to be other ways out there. Other than froyo. I unfortunately cannot live my life through smoothies and froyo.
    [Edit]: I would like to clarify that I do not know what butt tastes like. It was merely an educated guess.

I don't like all this flavored, fruit added " Greek " or not yogurt either. I did not complain and looked for alternatives. I found out that I really like home made yogurt from whole milk with nothing added. The way I make it, it is true greek yogurt ( and not what most people think is greek yogurt just because it's thick ) and I like it and eat it mostly as a protein in a main meal but never as a snack, because I don't do snacks....but am aware that most Americans think they go into starvation mode if they don't eat snacks....:o).
    My advise: If you hate yogurt, don't eat it.

Alright..I think you missed the reasons why I'd like to incorporate this into my intake.
    And was it necessary to bring up starvation mode? Goodness.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    I really enjoy ricotta cheese. It's not as sour as plain yogurt and it's not as salty as cottage cheese (not that there's anything wrong with salt, but I usually have a sweet tooth :happy: ).

I take some ricotta cheese (Dairy Farms makes a ricotta cheese that's closer to the texture of yogurt) and mix it with instant coffee. It is so tasty! Plus I get the same amount of protein and calcium. I highly recommend it!

I COMPLETELY forgot about ricotta. LASAGNA. How could I have been so blind! I make a meaaan filling veggie lasagna, and 1/2 cup ricotta (part skim) has a 1/3 of what I need for the day, and easy macros to work with.

I don't think I'd be able to do the coffee thing; I'm a Dunks girl, and don't know how they'd feel about me bringing in a tub of ricotta! Lol.
  • missiontofitness
    Options

It scares me that so-called medical professionals implore us to go on potentially harmful birthcontrol to combat the pain of our periods. It seems counterintuitive and bandaid-y. Have you looked into why you get such a painful cycle? Is there a root concern you could address instead of being on Depo?

I made the decision to go this route with GUIDANCE from health professionals. Please do not assume I blindly went into this. This was the best decision for me, and I have happily been on it since beginning it.
    I also occasionally use it for its intended purpose, but for the most part, it's been a godsend for me for my cycle. So please do not make assumptions about someone's medical decisions like this. You aren't me.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Use it like sour cream in soups, casseroles and topping
  • 73JD2013
    73JD2013 Posts: 26
    Options
    Maybe there is a different option you may like?:smile::smile:
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,798 Member
    Options
    LoL..the star effort made me LoL:laugh:
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    Maybe there is a different option you may like?:smile::smile:

I hope! I've already gotten some great ideas to test out though, and other foods to look into to meet my calcium goals. :)
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
    I decided I hate it. Definitely hate it. I've given it far too many tries over the years. The greek yogurt I tried today pretty much turned me off from trying again anytime soon. It looked, tasted, and smelled like butt, even though it wasn't past its expiration date. I tried to like it, I really did. I even found this gold star that summarizes my efforts:

How can I be sneaky and sneak more yogurt into my macros, without having to eat it straight up? I've tried it in smoothies and enjoy that, but there has to be other ways out there. Other than froyo. I unfortunately cannot live my life through smoothies and froyo.
    [Edit]: I would like to clarify that I do not know what butt tastes like. It was merely an educated guess.

I would switch brands...
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options

I'm the same, except I think greek yogurt tastes like dead people.

Mmmm dead people
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    LoL..the star effort made me LoL:laugh:

I deserve a star! Lol.
  • irleshay
    irleshay Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Have you considered cottage cheese? Some people like it and others hate it, but it's another alternative. I like the Trader Joe's Organic Lowfat one ... seems creamier and better-textured to me. Also, I saw that you like lasagna, and there are recipes that use cottage cheese as well.
  • hannhr
    hannhr Posts: 22
    Options
    I thought I hated Greek yogurt, but I was just eating the wrong kind. A lot of the flavored ones have tons of sugar, but my favorite lower-sugar ones are Dannon Light and Fit Greek Yogurt, Yoplait 100cal Greek yogurt, Siggi's yogurt, and the 2% Fage fruit varieties (16g sugar). Dannon and Yoplait don't have the sour cream texture, so they're much easier for me to eat without gagging! I'm always on the hunt for new brands and flavors, but look for ones with at least 10g protein. Some of them have only 6g protein and like 20g sugar! Not worth it, in my opinion.
    When I buy the plain ones, I usually get the 2% and mix in some add-ins such as:
    - dry pudding mix (1 1/2 tablespoons)
    - honey
    - fruit
    - pb2 or real peanut butter
    - nutella (as a dessert!)
    - granola
    - Stevia/other artificial sweeteners
    - nuts, seeds, hemp, etc
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Don't eat it.

End of story. :tongue:
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    Have you considered cottage cheese? Some people like it and others hate it, but it's another alternative. I like the Trader Joe's Organic Lowfat one ... seems creamier and better-textured to me. Also, I saw that you like lasagna, and there are recipes that use cottage cheese as well.

Oh, I have...I can never get the courage to try it now.
    I bought bad sour cream that had the consistency/look of cottage cheese, and I will forever associate the two together, lol.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    I thought I hated Greek yogurt, but I was just eating the wrong kind. A lot of the flavored ones have tons of sugar, but my favorite lower-sugar ones are Dannon Light and Fit Greek Yogurt, Yoplait 100cal Greek yogurt, Siggi's yogurt, and the 2% Fage fruit varieties (16g sugar). Dannon and Yoplait don't have the sour cream texture, so they're much easier for me to eat without gagging! I'm always on the hunt for new brands and flavors, but look for ones with at least 10g protein. Some of them have only 6g protein and like 20g sugar! Not worth it, in my opinion.
    When I buy the plain ones, I usually get the 2% and mix in some add-ins such as:
    - dry pudding mix (1 1/2 tablespoons)
    - honey
    - fruit
    - pb2 or real peanut butter
    - nutella (as a dessert!)
    - granola
    - Stevia/other artificial sweeteners
    - nuts, seeds, hemp, etc

....You had me at Nutella.