Whats your favorite protein powder?

Options
I'm going to preface this post by saying if there is a good topic already about this (which I'm sure there is!), please feel free to simply direct me to that post!!

Some people can have a bowl of cereal and berries for breakfast and be fine. Unfortunately, I am not one of those people. I need 2 eggs and turkey sausage if I want to be functional. I need my protein! So I'm looking for other sources of good protein besides always eating eggs.

I've heard wonderful things about Shakeology, unfortunately I can't afford that.. So what protein/shake powders are your favorite and what do you recommend?

Replies

• booboo68
    booboo68 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I get the GNC Total Lean 25. IT has 200 calories and 25 grans of protein. I love all of the flavors. The orange cream one tastsl like the ice cream push ups you probably ate as a kid. I love the chocolate peanut butter, apple cinnamon, banana, mixed berries, etc. It is usually on sale about every other week.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I currently have Optimum Nutritions 100% Whey in the Double Rich Chocolate flavour.

I like it, it tastes very similar to Nesquik instant milkshakes and it isn't full of artifical sweetners which totally make whey taste naff.
    The mixability is good, no lumps or a hard time chugging it.

But if you did buy a whey protein and dislike the flavour, the best way to mask it is add some peanut butter and perhaps a little sugar to get rid of the nasty taste.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I don't take any, but my husband uses the Optimum Nutritions 100% Whey.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    I currently have Optimum Nutritions 100% Whey in the Double Rich Chocolate flavour.

I like it, it tastes very similar to Nesquik instant milkshakes and it isn't full of artifical sweetners which totally make whey taste naff.

But if you did buy a whey protein and dislike the flavour, the best way to mask it is add some peanut butter and perhaps a little sugar to get rid of the nasty taste.
    This. I have the 10lbs bag. And I also use Nitrocore 24 in my "off season" when I need more calories. I've drank protein powders/weight gainers since the 80's and let me tell you that today's powders taste like actual milkshakes compared to the "chalky" taste of powders back in the day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mscleo1115
    mscleo1115 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Protein Double Rich Chocolate with almond milk. I like to add a tablespoon of natural peanut butter and it tastes like a reese's peanut butter cup, yum!!
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Ultamet low carb vanilla protein powder with a little cinnamon, ice and water...OMG heaven!!
  • abbyblackcft
    Options
    I love my IsaLean Pro. It's non-GMO, organic, non-soy, and free of artificial flavors and preservatives.
  • triciabh1
    triciabh1 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I also like the Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Protein Double Rich Chocolate...I mix mine with unsweetened vanilla almond milk and about 1/2 frozen banana...so yummy! I have also mixed it with just skim milk and it does taste like chocolate milk using the Nesquik powder.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I also like the Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Protein Double Rich Chocolate...I mix mine with unsweetened vanilla almond milk and about 1/2 frozen banana...so yummy! I have also mixed it with just skim milk and it does taste like chocolate milk using the Nesquik powder.

When you add the banana in, do you put it in a shaker or do you use it in a blender? That sounds quite nice for a breakfast if I don't feel like cooking.
  • liftnlove_
    liftnlove_ Posts: 112 Member
    Options

This. I have the 10lbs bag. And I also use Nitrocore 24 in my "off season" when I need more calories. I've drank protein powders/weight gainers since the 80's and let me tell you that today's powders taste like actual milkshakes compared to the "chalky" taste of powders back in the day.

^^ +1 for ON Double Rich Chocolate. I mix it with water and it tastes great to me. I personally hate "drinking" my carbs, so I drink the protein powder alone, and just eat a banana. :)
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I use ON Extreme Milk Chocolate. I must be the only one who prefers it to the Double Rich Chocolate. If you look online and get it in a 5 lb tub or 10 lb bag, you can usually find a pretty good deal on it. If you do buy a brand/flavor you don't like, another way of masking the taste is adding a little pudding mix to it (sugar free or regular, depends on your macros/calories).
  • Ryguy08
    Ryguy08 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition for me as well. I like the Extreme Milk Chocolate flavor by itself with almond milk, but sometimes I add berries and peanut butter to it. Soooo good!
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    This may not be the best one, but I am pretty happy with MLO Super High Whey Protein powder. 110 calories for 25 grams of protein. I also get cranky if I don't have a decent shot of protein in the morning (that's what she said).
  • justjumpit278
    justjumpit278 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your input guys - I really appreciate it!

Another question... where is your "go to" place to buy it? Walmart, GNC, online, etc? I would think that a place like GNC would be more expensive than Walmart, but perhaps I'm wrong?
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I use Bluebonnet dual-action Protein Powder French Vanilla. It's 125 calories and 27g of protein. It's sweetened with Stevia and has a pretty good baseline taste to mix with other stuff or even in oatmeal, which I do every day. I get it from Amazon.com. Next time I'm going to get the 5 pound size.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    i get the eas lean 15 vanilla and put in frozen mixed berries with almond milk and water ..this powder is affordable and i have no complaints on the taste
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options

Another question... where is your "go to" place to buy it? Walmart, GNC, online, etc? I would think that a place like GNC would be more expensive than Walmart, but perhaps I'm wrong?

Depends on what you're getting, but I'd look online first, especially for ON.
  • htg20
    htg20 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    True Vitality Vanilla Plant Protein- get it on Amazon
  • liftnlove_
    liftnlove_ Posts: 112 Member
    Options

Depends on what you're getting, but I'd look online first, especially for ON.

Amazon.com or bodybuilding.com
  • IndecisiveGirl2013
    IndecisiveGirl2013 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I use ON Extreme Milk Chocolate flavour. I either mix it with some whole milk and water or I mix it with some Greek yogurt. Best flavour I've tried so far from ON.