If Nickelback sucks so bad...

Replies

• miktone
    miktone Posts: 2 Member
    There are two main reasons why I dislike Nickleback.

First, during the time that Nickelback became popular, post-grunge wave was still dominating the alternative rock scene. During this time, Nickelback, Foo Fighters, Red Hot Chili Peppers were all equally huge. Foo Fighters and Red Hot Chili Peppers (kinda) changed their styles with the time. Nickelback I believe failed to do that.

For me, bands like Nickelback, Shinedown, Saving Abel, Hinder sound very monotonous and boring. All of their sounds follow a very similar formula. If you youtube the Nickelback formula, you'll see a lot of parodies on the band.

I also think that Nickelback is "safe rock" too. Being a "safe" band I think they sacrificed a lot of their artistic ability to be popular and radio friendly.

That's a well thought out response. Agree with the criticism, althought that can be said for most genres of music (formula). As someone who is a bit of a music snob, I don't understand the level of distain that Nickelback gets. They are not my favorite but I have come to suspect that Nickelback is the band that people who don't even like music or know anything about music feel comfortable in slagging, like "saving the whales" in the 80's it's the fall back band to hate. It's cool to hate Nickelback. To me they are no worse than every other band I don't listen to. I find it interesting that Journey was similarly criticized by people for being commercial and following a formula in the 80's and that seems to have stopped, so maybe Nickelback just needs to wait to be appreciated and in the meantime, well there is all that money to occupy their time.
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    My old roommate auditioned to be their drummer way back when.
  • Slendermike
    Slendermike Posts: 1,776 Member
    lots of good tunes and they are an Alberta band!
  • ColeCake292012
    ColeCake292012 Posts: 247 Member
    I feel the same way about Miley Cyrus.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    There are two main reasons why I dislike Nickleback.

First, during the time that Nickelback became popular, post-grunge wave was still dominating the alternative rock scene. During this time, Nickelback, Foo Fighters, Red Hot Chili Peppers were all equally huge. Foo Fighters and Red Hot Chili Peppers (kinda) changed their styles with the time. Nickelback I believe failed to do that.

For me, bands like Nickelback, Shinedown, Saving Abel, Hinder sound very monotonous and boring. All of their sounds follow a very similar formula. If you youtube the Nickelback formula, you'll see a lot of parodies on the band.

I also think that Nickelback is "safe rock" too. Being a "safe" band I think they sacrificed a lot of their artistic ability to be popular and radio friendly.

That's a well thought out response. Agree with the criticism, althought that can be said for most genres of music (formula). As someone who is a bit of a music snob, I don't understand the level of distain that Nickelback gets. They are not my favorite but I have come to suspect that Nickelback is the band that people who don't even like music or know anything about music feel comfortable in slagging, like "saving the whales" in the 80's it's the fall back band to hate. It's cool to hate Nickelback. To me they are no worse than every other band I don't listen to. I find it interesting that Journey was similarly criticized by people for being commercial and following a formula in the 80's and that seems to have stopped, so maybe Nickelback just needs to wait to be appreciated and in the meantime, well there is all that money to occupy their time.

Honestly, I don't know much about music. I don't really pay much attention to artists. If you asked me what I like, I'd probably flounder at listing off songs, to say nothing of the performers.

Then there's Nickelback. Upon the first experience, I walked away with a "Yup, that's pop-rock, top 40. Catchy, nothing special. Might get into it if I'm drunk." feeling.

Then you hear it more. And more. Except supposedly they're different songs. Eventually, I just want to say, "Stop it! Stop that forced, over dramatized...thing...whatever it is you're doing." On the topic of Journey, there's obvious repetition there, along with over-dramatization, but there's something to their kitsch that's entertaining. Eye of the beholder and all that.
  • larddragon
    larddragon Posts: 24 Member
    I don't understand, why do people hate Niclelback? I only know a few of their songs but they're really catchy.

Why do they get so much hate?
  • ComradeTovarich
    ComradeTovarich Posts: 495 Member
    If Hitler was such a bad person why'd he get so much airtime?

1397937908788.jpg
  • shmerek
    Canada has a lot to answer for in terms of music: Nickelback, Justin Beiber, Avril Lavigne, Celine Dion, Barenaked Ladies, Drake, etc etc. having said that I think that Rush makes up for it.

I would say that Nickelback is the quintessential sanitised pop rock, entirely inoffensive and boring, every song sounds the same. Having said that good on them for making millions of dollars and doing what they love.
  • larddragon
    larddragon Posts: 24 Member
    I hate the notion that if a band/singer/song is mainstream then they aren't good. Yeah you may not like the singer but that doesn not mean their music is crap. I love music from the 80s and 90s but I also enjoy music from popular artists (such as Labyrinth, Nicki Minaj and dare I say it...One Direction).

And yeah Justin Bieber is a *kitten* but I hate how some people just jump on the hate bandwagon. Heck, I even like a few of his songs.

It's okay to like something that's popular. Whatever music you like is up to you.

I know this reply isn't about Nickelback but I see a lot of people I know claiming to hate them because other people hate them. I understand if you have actual reasons for disliking them but it just annoys me when people say they hate something just to be 'different' you get me?

(Not saying any of you guys are. Just getting my opinion out there).
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Canada has a lot to answer for in terms of music: Nickelback, Justin Beiber, Avril Lavigne, Celine Dion, Barenaked Ladies, Drake, etc etc. having said that I think that Rush makes up for it.

I would say that Nickelback is the quintessential sanitised pop rock, entirely inoffensive and boring, every song sounds the same. Having said that good on them for making millions of dollars and doing what they love.

If they are "sanitized," then why are their lyrics censored on the radio?
  • shmerek

Geez where do you live? I mean sanitised in terms of generic rock.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member

I'm in America. Here, "sanitized" means "clean."
  • shmerek

I'm in America. Here, "sanitized" means "clean."
    Means the same thing here but it also means: make (something) more palatable by removing elements that are likely to be unacceptable or controversial. which is where I was going
  • shmerek
    Why do they get so much airtime?
    airtime ≠ good
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member

Whoa. Hey now... ok we apologize for most of these (apologizing is what we do best) but NO ONE messes with our Bare Naked Ladies. :mad:

Thank you. Have a nice day!
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Why do they get so much airtime?
    airtime ≠ good

Exhibit A: Ke$ha.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Um, because there are a lot of tasteless morons living in the world? There are like 9 seasons of The Real Housewives too...that doesn't make the show NOT a steaming pile of dogcrap.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member

Whoa. Hey now... ok we apologize for most of these (apologizing is what we do best) but NO ONE messes with our Bare Naked Ladies. :mad:

Only good Canadian band = Metric
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    I dislike Nickelback in part due to the Chad Kroeger interview I read in Playboy in 2008. He came across as a schmuck. He admitted to completely selling out any of his possible artistic ability in order to sell records. He was proud of this, and that's okay if that's who he wants to be, but he can't expect people to respect him for that. There are plenty of bands out there who are struggling to make it because they are not willing to give up who they are and what message they want to get out. There are plenty of bands out there who have made it not giving up their message. Yeah, it's easier to take a formula that works once and repeat it for the masses, but your message, whatever it used to be, is gone.
  • shmerek

Only good Canadian band = Metric
    Do you even Canadian??? Rush>Metric :tongue: