Hard to be "good" anymore

Options
When I started I found it so easy to stay on track, now I cheat every other day.... I'm not sure how to motivate myself to say no to treats and extra calories... I am good in the morning and afternoon and start off the day with good intentions but then 6pm hits and I feel like eating everything I shouldn't in the house.

I wish it were as easy as not buying "bad" foods but I live with my family and I'm not the one that buys it...

Anyone else feel the same? How can I find my beginner's motivation again?

Replies

• missylectro
    missylectro Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I want to add... It feels so good to binge, it gives me this sort of satisfaction, but it's mixed with guilt...
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,264 Member
    Options
    Are you binging on foods you have totally cut out? Why did you cut them out? Why don't you enjoy all foods in moderation all the time?
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    One family member of mine has her husband hide the chocolate in the house, and only give her a few pieces at a time when she asks. It helps her moderate it.
    In regards to foods in the house, it's all about willpower. If it helps, prepackage everything and write the macros on it. If you can see you're eating 500 calories in Oreos in one sitting, and it's x amount of fat for those bags, it can help you visualize what you are overeating on.

Regardless, you should speak to someone about your binging. It sounds like there may be some underlying issues.
  • missylectro
    Options
    Are you binging on foods you have totally cut out? Why did you cut them out? Why don't you enjoy all foods in moderation all the time?
    What is this word moderation?

I cannot have peanut butter for example in moderation, I feel like eating more than one tablespoon
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Also, make sure you are logging ALL that you are eating, binge or no binge. Now THAT is a real eye-opener. The "dieting" wagon is pretty easy to fall off of if you are restricting yourself from eating certain foods. I've had pizza every Sunday night. Granted, one slice, but I'm still at least eating it. I'm not sure what sort of plan you were following, but maybe it's a good time to find something else that is more do-able. Or to find an activity that you like that can take the place of the binge.
  • wozkaa
    wozkaa Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    My motivation has been waxing and waning too, OP.

The biggest hurdle i have is NIBBLING. I have 18 month old twins, and while they eat well it's stuff I keep to a minimum for my dietary goals. I'll have a filling and healthy lunch (which i enjoy) but then there might be dried fruit, or leftover parts of a PB & J sandwich. A bite of banana muffin etc

I am not sure of the solution, other than trying to just do better each day.
  • missylectro
    Options
    One family member of mine has her husband hide the chocolate in the house, and only give her a few pieces at a time when she asks. It helps her moderate it.
    In regards to foods in the house, it's all about willpower. If it helps, prepackage everything and write the macros on it. If you can see you're eating 500 calories in Oreos in one sitting, and it's x amount of fat for those bags, it can help you visualize what you are overeating on.

Regardless, you should speak to someone about your binging. It sounds like there may be some underlying issues.
    Probably the meds I'm taking
  • ChristineRoze
    ChristineRoze Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'm very similar to you, i honestly have to cut out certain foods because if i eat the tiniest bit i will go over board. I have more control before the food is in my mouth. What helps me is not having access to it in my house, but unfortunately you can't do that. Maybe ask for the family to support you and hide their snack foods? not sure.
  • IndigoFlowers
    IndigoFlowers Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    You're restricting too much - either mentally (by saying that you cannot/must not have certain foods) or physically (by not eating enough calories).

Your body is trying to revolt against you, because you are denying it.
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what is the food being eaten during the binge. If it is only processed, high sugar, high fat food (you know, the stuff that tastes fantastic), then I don't think the body is revolting. That is an emotional eating issue and if it is truly bad and the OP wants to change it, then seeking some therapy, or simply talking to a trusted friend, might help. Now, if the only thing in the house is something the OP doesn't like and THAT is what is being eaten, then I think it is physiological in nature, the OP is truly hungry, and should eat more.

Just a thought.
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options

I cannot have peanut butter for example in moderation, I feel like eating more than one tablespoon

Could always buy the PB that comes in individual cups and pouches, so it's in a sealed serving. If the one you like doesn't come like that, you could buy little tupperwares and have it packed up in serving sizes. :)
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Are you logging your binges?
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    The hardest thing to learn is moderation of foods that we used to binge on.
    The most important thing to learn is moderation of foods we used to binge on.

Everything about this process is a choice. It was easy for me to make excuses for way too many years. Time wasted. Make up your mind what you want and then work hard to get it. You will not be perfect. You will have bad minutes - they do not have to turn into hours or days.

Learning the lesson of moderation is the ONLY way to be successful in the long run. Good luck in your choices.
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I guess the question you have to ask your self is how bad do you want this?

Also, figure out why you have such an unhealthy relationship with food, and quit finding someone/something else to blame.
  • missylectro
    Options
    I'm very similar to you, i honestly have to cut out certain foods because if i eat the tiniest bit i will go over board. I have more control before the food is in my mouth. What helps me is not having access to it in my house, but unfortunately you can't do that. Maybe ask for the family to support you and hide their snack foods? not sure.
    That's what I did and they did do that :)
  • missylectro
    Options
    I think it depends on what is the food being eaten during the binge. If it is only processed, high sugar, high fat food (you know, the stuff that tastes fantastic), then I don't think the body is revolting. That is an emotional eating issue and if it is truly bad and the OP wants to change it, then seeking some therapy, or simply talking to a trusted friend, might help. Now, if the only thing in the house is something the OP doesn't like and THAT is what is being eaten, then I think it is physiological in nature, the OP is truly hungry, and should eat more.

Just a thought.
    Yeah I should probably eat more
  • missylectro
    Options
    Are you logging your binges?
    No. I'm too embarrassed to
  • missylectro
    Options
    The hardest thing to learn is moderation of foods that we used to binge on.
    The most important thing to learn is moderation of foods we used to binge on.

Everything about this process is a choice. It was easy for me to make excuses for way too many years. Time wasted. Make up your mind what you want and then work hard to get it. You will not be perfect. You will have bad minutes - they do not have to turn into hours or days.

Learning the lesson of moderation is the ONLY way to be successful in the long run. Good luck in your choices.
    Noted. I will have to change my mentality and my choices.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Once you learn to make 'good' things taste like 'bad' things it becomes way easier. For example, this morning I made red velvet pancakes. Sounds kind of bad right? But it wasn't bad at all, I use a high protein organic pancake mix, add in red velvet flavored protein powder, an egg, and top it with calorie free pancake syrup. Was very GOOD in every way. ;)

There's lots of good things you can make that taste really awesome that are actually good for you. Once I learned to do that, it's been pretty easy to lose weight and easy to maintain because I don't crave anything. I just make very tasty alternatives to junk.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

maybe you should work on that...moderation is a learned thing and as with any learned thing, it takes deliberate practice. Long term success is largely about learning moderation and portion control...without those two things, weight maintenance is a real *****.