Nutribullet - Anyone use it?

Options

Replies

• htg20
    htg20 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    The shakes/smoothies should taste good initially but for the ones that are a little out of your comfort zone, your taste buds will adapt and you will actually start craving the taste. That is what happened to me with green juice.
  • Tigermum9
    Tigermum9 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    is this machine a juicer or a smoothie maker??
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    is this machine a juicer or a smoothie maker??
    basically just a good blender.
  • westendcurls
    westendcurls Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    for smoothies the ratio of 60% fruit to 40% greens usually gives the best taste the more you've been drinking them the more you can start to add more greens.
    I like 2 hand fulls of mixed greens, 1/2 a banana, 1 apple and a hand full of berries always seems to turn out yummy.

my friend just gave em her old nutribullet and I cant get the lid off so be careful there. lol. oh and if you have any tips how to get the stupid thing off I'm all ears ( the storage lid not the blades )
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I find that when I use frozen spinach portions I don't seem to taste them even though the shake is green.
    I usually do 1 scoop of protein, blueberries, half or whole banana, almond milk, sometimes raspberries, flaxseed and spinach as well. Tastes pretty yummy to me.
    I find the same.
    Today I had:
    2 cups frozen spinach
    1/5 an old frozen banana
    mixed berries
    1 cup almond milk
    1 cup water
    1tbls flax
    1tbls chia

tasted pretty much like berries and banana.

Sometimes I add peanut butter. Then it tastes like banana and peanut butter.

I don't normally do protein powder, but may buy some hemp powder.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I just got the Nutribullet - need some help! 1st shake looked and tasted like lawn clippings from the yard. Could barely get it down.
    What works for you?

I've made smoothies that tasted like lawn clippings before. I've also made some that tasted worse than that. (Not to get off track, but do not use frozen grilled chicken or raw garlic in your smoothies. Ever.)

If you had told us what you used in your bad tasting smoothie we might be able to offer specific suggestions. Since you didn't, you might try starting with a blend of 2/3 fruits to every 1/3 vegetables. Give that a try. If it still tastes like lawn clippings, reduce the veggies even more.

Over time, you'll get more accustomed to the taste of veggies. Or you can do like I do -- I eat my veggies raw and unprocessed. When I make smoothies I use protein powder, hemp, chia and flax seeds, milk, and fruit. My smoothies taste like milk shakes.

OMG I remember that thread! POST A LINK to share it! You were HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1248520-chicken-smoothie?hl=chicken+smoothie

I learned two important things from that:

1. Do not put stupid things in your blender
    2. If you're going to be stupid and ignore #1, make sure you open a thread and chronicle your experience.
  • Tigermum9
    Options
    are any of you doing this as a meal replacement?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm using it as breakfast while it's hot this summer. Nice and refreshing.
  • toddka1
    toddka1 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have a Nutribullet and love it! I also got the recipe book and have tried many different recipes. I must admit my very first smoothie tasted like lawn clippings too - I had way overloaded the cup with spinach and fruits and did not use enough water. Lots of the recipes provided in the post sound good too. I'm going to give some of them a try.

Keep mixing and you'll find ones you enjoy!
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Of the 70g of protein you used, your body can only absorb 30g per serving, so you're wasting the other 40g as its not used by your body at all

Actually Khalil, I've just read through some of your posts, and I've got to say that you've got this fitness thing so utterly *kitten* backwards it's not even funny.

I really implore you to not give advice or tout your wares here until you've studied properly and learned your craft, without having any ulterior motives. It really goes against the vibe of MFP man.
    AGREED!!! :noway: Don't know where you got your degree, but I would ask for a refund!:laugh:
  • binniesmart
    Options
    I have just bought one, waiting for delivery. Thought I should make better breakfast choices rather than a slice of toast eaten at the wheel of my car, or worse still, nothing. Looking into spirulina for protein and other benefits too.
  • kikicooks
    Options
    So far no, not really, just a way to help get my fruits and veggies in. In the future I plan to try a smoothie with greek yogurt and/or protein powder, that way would be more filling and could be a meal/snack.
  • kikicooks
    Options

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1248520-chicken-smoothie?hl=chicken+smoothie

I learned two important things from that:

1. Do not put stupid things in your blender
    2. If you're going to be stupid and ignore #1, make sure you open a thread and chronicle your experience.

:laugh: :laugh:
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    No, my smoothies are meals. Because it's food. I only eat food.
  • TinTinTin111
    TinTinTin111 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Bump for recipes
  • Tigermum9
    Options
    No, my smoothies are meals. Because it's food. I only eat food.

er yeah, thats what I meant???
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    All right, as a clone of the OP being a chubby 41 year old guy I'll work off the possibility that our tastes are somewhat similar and offer some advice for what I like.

I don't use a nutribullet, just a blender, but I suspect it spins stuff together all the same.

I like my smoothies to be more shake like so I tend to use about 50% ice to my other ingredients. The smoothies I make are still mostly sugar bombs but they are an alternative to the huge amounts of Mt. Dew I used to drink all the time and I feel better about that so I go with it.

I use non-concentrated carrot juice as a base (Bolthouse Farms) along with a little Naked Juice (which is basically just expensive apple juice with protein powder) and then toss in some frozen berries, a little frozen pineapple and a banana.

For a 32 Ounce Shake it looks something like this right now:

1 Cup Carrot Juice
    1/2 Cup Naked Protein
    1 Cup Frozen Three Berries (Blueberry, Raspberry, Marionberries)
    2-3 Frozen Strawberries
    2-3 Frozen Pineapple Chunks
    1 Medium Banana
    As much ice as it takes to get to 32 ounce and a nice thick shake

I plan on ditching the Naked Juice as soon as I find a protein powder that doesn't throw off the taste too much and the above is DEFINITELY sweet enough sneak a serving of veggies in. The carrot juice is actually pretty flavor neutral but looks like it would be overpowering until you actually try it.

Just keep in mind this isn't a "weight loss" shake, it's a lot sugar packed into a blender.

Anyway, not sure how many other folks use bottled juices as a base to make something tasty so I thought I would toss this out.