He said what?!

Options
Today is the month mark of me doing MFP. I have been weighing and tracking everything and I have started working out a few times a week. I weighed in today and have not lost anything this week. For the whole month I have lost 2.5 pounds even though I set it to sedentry and 2 pounds a week. I have only been eating back half of my exercise calories. So needless to say I was disappointed.

I went out to talk to my husband about it and he said "well if it's not working I guess you need to do more". I was so mad! I explained how MFP is supposed to work with net calories etc. He said well you are only doing that Jillian Michaels workout. (Ok for me that workout if tough!) Then he suggested I start taking more walks during the day. We just moved to Houston. It is hot and humid! I have a 1 year old I take along too.

Anyhow I don't know what to do to make this more of a success. I was really hoping to love 2 pounds per week or at least 1.5. I am mad and hurt that he just doesnt get it. I am starting to feel like this is all not worth it. I cut back my calories without MFP the month of April and I lost 5 pounds then. So for over 2 months I have lost only 7 pounds. I m down 40 pounds of my prepregnancy weight but now that I am really working on it ...nothing! I know things dont happen over night but I feel like I am failing the harder I try.

Replies

• JodiDavidson48
    Options
    It actually sounds like you're doing well overall. Sometimes the body retains fluid which would result in a week of what looks like a "stall". My take - keep doing what you're doing and have compassion for the journey. I just signed up today with my daughter - hope this helps me to move forward. I'm an avid exerciser (thank goodness) or I would be much larger, and I'm trying to move away from some long term emotional eating issues - the classic "yoyo" syndrome. Best wishes.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    First, a new workout plan can cause water retention as your body adjusts to the new stresses and that can slow initial weight loss. Second, getting out and moving around is rarely a bad idea. It's hot ... it's humid ... a kid ... really those are all excuses.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    You're either eating too much or overestimating your exercise calories, or both.

Make sure to log your food accurately... you don't seem to weigh your food, so you're probably way underestimating what you're eating. Too many quick added calories and some dubious entries (where are those 45 calorie tortillas you used on June 8th?).

ETA - it's normal not to lose every week, and I hear you on the humidity being a pain, but I wouldn't do anything in Summer if I let that stop me... I just have to take a shower after. And yes it's a pain with kids, so I joined a gym so they can stay in the babysitting area while I work out.
  • LessIsMoreCB
    LessIsMoreCB Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    One thing I've learned, a positive attitude will be your rock when the scale won't budge! That will happen from time to time, don't give up! It has to mean more to you than a number. Think about how much better you will feel. Chasing after that one year old when you fuel your body with good healthy food and keep it strong with good healthy exercise. It's worth every drop of sweat! You can do this momma! Read up on staying hydrated and food protein to carb ratios. I live in Texas too and the heat will suck the life right out of you! Rooting for you! :)
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    If it's too hot & humid, take the baby & the stroller to the mega mall (It's Houston - I know there's at least 1 mega-mall) and put on a pedometer and briskly walk the mall. Do not stop for a starbucks Grande Latte with Whipped Crème, or to pick up some cheap T-shirt at Walmart. JUST WALK in air conditioned comfort.
  • merisaOct3
    merisaOct3 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels workouts are tough! Good for you for keeping up with it.

IMO, and I didn't look at your diary, but pay attention to not just how much but also WHAT you're eating. Upping natural lean protein, cutting back on sugar and carb calories, and focusing on lots of veggies may help break you through your stall.

Culturally, men (and a lot of women) think they need to offer advice when all we are trying to do is vent and get a little sympathy. Maybe mention to him that sometimes you don't need a "fix" of the problem, just a little emotional support through it.

Congrats on your successes! Take measurements and see how your clothes are fitting - you may be surprised at seeing success in ways other than on the scale.
  • bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Maybe go to the library and get some different workout videos to try. I do a lot of them and don't like Jillian Michaels DVDs. Maybe start with a walking DVD or lower impact like Zumba.and work your way up to the JM DVD.

Also walking at the mall was a great idea.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    A month isn't really that long for your body to adjust to changes. You did change something partway through as I noticed your calorie goal dropped. Some of your burns seem a little high but again those are estimates. Find a balance somewhere and stick with it. You didn't gain the weight overnight, so be patient and let it happen.

Weigh and measure your foods accurately - if you don't have a scale yet buy one.

Jillian workouts are tough so cudo's for sticking with it. Again be patient and maybe invite your husband to try Jillian's workout so he can see how hard you are working.

This is your journey so don't let his opinions sway the progress you have already made.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Theres no need to be mad- youre doing well, and your husband is trying to be helpful.
  • pensierobello
    pensierobello Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    he's trying to help you. don't get righteously offended, his suggestions are good!
  • TIUClare
    TIUClare Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    The human body is a pretty complex machine. You've got a child - you know what I mean! The body can be stubborn too, one week of staying the same should not be enough to shake your commitment.
    1. Are you drinking enough water? Half your body weight in pounds.... and drink that number in ounces. Every day.
    2. Keeping moving throughout the day is essential to keep your metabolism ramped up (I have PCOS and my metabolism is so slow... it is the bane of my existence, but it doesn't have to always be slow)
    3. Muscle weighs heavier than fat - have you taken your measurements? The scale might not have moved but you might have gained muscle / lost inches - check this too
    4. The body could be playing catch up with itself. Make sure that your nutrition is bang on target and keep working out - the body will eventually catch up.

These are all things I have to keep telling myself. Make sure you're having enough protein, carbs, fibre, healthy fats etc. Take your measurements and some progress pics and take your little one out with you and build in more exercise throughout the day. One thing I'm learning: we only have one body in this lifetime and even though sweating it out for an hour a day can be tough, I'd rather do that to keep living in this world :)

Good luck on your journey. You can do this! Believe in yourself and go out and make your dreams a reality!
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,470 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I lost only like 2 lbs in two months due to water retention. Then, suddenly I was down 10 lbs. Keep going and DON'T give up. It will come off, just takes some time to see it on the scale.
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,470 Member
    Options
    he's trying to help you. don't get righteously offended, his suggestions are good!
    Agreed!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your husband is TRYING to be helpful, but really isn't and/or cannot truly relate to the issues you are having. I'd just keep it on the down low, to be honest, because the LAST thing you need is discouraging words.

As for not losing 2 lb per week...I know this whole thing (counting calories) doesn't work the same for everyone. I'm not trying to tell you how to feel. But for me, I had to have the mindset of "I expect to weigh less in 30 days or 1 year than I do right now" without imagining it would be exactly 1.5 lb each week (my settings until I got closer to goal and reset to 1 lb per week). EXPECTING to be down 8-10 lb each month is a recipe for failure and/or giving up, for a lot of people!
    Track, weigh, measure, whatever it takes. Exercise is great, too...but you also need to give your body a chance to adjust to the way you are eating which may be less calories than in the past - even more adjustment for the body if you haven't been doing the Jillian Michaels workout (or other exercise) long-term and that is newer to your body as well. It's not an instant thing for some people. It takes a little time to level off and start seeing losses, for some people there is initial success and then a slow period and for others it starts off rapid and then slows.

Most of all, be patient. If you are truly eating at a deficit long term then you will be several pounds lighter in a few months. Would you rather lose 30 lb in 2-3 months or over a year period? My way of thinking is that I could go hardcore, burn out, and weigh the same in a year, or keep at this steadily and be down several pounds. I prefer the latter.

Seriously, I don't mean to sound like a know it all, but I started using this site 15 months ago wearing a size 22 and weighing 262 lb. My first goal was to weigh 220 lb and hopefully wear an 18 by the end of the first year...met that easily even with losses of less than a pound some weeks. Now I weigh 179 lb (losses still going slow but strong, too) and wear a 12 in most things. It's totally worth it to improve your health, nutrition, and fitness...and there is no bonus prize for getting to your goal in x number of months.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    My two cents on Father's Day weekend. Your weight loss is awesome. The fact you are working out is great and adding light cardio like walking maybe 2 x's a week for a total of 30 minutes is a good addition. Slowly try to incorporate more walking every two weeks. Continue to weigh your food, use your diary, seek support, and continue onward.

When you hit a plateau it is par for the course(golf speak which means 'good') and continue onward. Congratulations on the one year old, the weight loss, and your desire to stay fit and healthy. Peace.
  • liz77095
    liz77095 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the kind words and tips. He really is trying to help but truly cannot relate. I have been weighing on my scale at home and am trying to work up to 5 workouts per week. I had not really thought about water retention from new exercise so maybe that is part of it too. Looks like I should keep things on the down low so I don't get upset so easily. It sure was a lot more fun gaining weight than taking it off. ;)

Here is hoping my patience with this journey grows!
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    First, a new workout plan can cause water retention as your body adjusts to the new stresses and that can slow initial weight loss. Second, getting out and moving around is rarely a bad idea. It's hot ... it's humid ... a kid ... really those are all excuses.
    Have you ever exercised outside in Houston n June? It's like 100% humidity and 100 degrees or more.
    When I would do military training in San Antonio ( which is much dryer) they would make days over 90, or over 100 degrees on the heat index, red flag days. No outdoor exercise, marching or other activity could be performed in that weather due to increased risk of serious heat injury.
    I've had heat exhaustion a number of times and you don't want to go there. The last time it happened I almost ended in the hospital, with an irregular heart beat around 180 bpm. That was just standing around in 116 degree heat, under a metal, open sided shed that was holding in the heat.
  • ownedbyaragdoll
    ownedbyaragdoll Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I know people hate hearing this, but perhaps you're eating too little? To use myself as an example: I started WW Feb 2013, lost 45lbs by Aug 2013. Maintained for about 6 months, then started to gain even though I was still 100% on track (eating well and exercising). No changes other than I had steadily increased my exercise. Continued to gain with no clue as to why, lost motivation, ended up gaining about 10lbs. Came back to MFP recently (I created an account ages ago but never used it) and started to track both here and on WW. I was also eating about 1200 calories and not eating back my exercise calories. Learned more about BMR & TDEE from the forums and ran my numbers - my BMR is 1414 before any exercise/activity so I'm already in the negative calories eating only 1200. When I added increased exercise into the mix it was no wonder my body started holding onto everything! I've increased my food intake and 4-5lbs have come off this week alone (yes, some of that was water retention from TOM).

So, moral of the story is take a look at your numbers and how many calories your body needs to function. You may just need to fuel it more! :)

Also, I don't know how much you have to loose but 2lbs per week is ambitious (as I have seen commented by many much more knowledgeable MFP folks). Perhaps drop to 1lb per week (thus increasing your calories) and see how you do.
  • jjplato
    jjplato Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Your sodium is through the roof. Yesterday, you were 1200 calories over your goal. A few days before that, you were over 500 calories over goal. You are using "quick add calories", which is usually an indication that you're guessing rather than weighing. A few days ago, you estimated 700 calories burned for 45 minutes of exercise, which could be accurate, but you've got to be honest with yourself - that's a lot of calories to burn in that amount of time. I'm in very good cardio shape, and I log 45 minutes of taekwondo as 500 calories, and that's going flat-out, drenched in sweat, for almost the full time.

Take this as constructive. You look good, and you've lost weight, so you should be encouraged. If you're not losing weight faster, it's because you are either underestimating food calories, over-estimating exercise calories, or both. If you want to pick up the pace, be brutally honest with yourself about what you're eating and how you're counting your exercise calories.
  • JenD1066
    JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Well of course you can't walk outside! Walking in Houston this time of year is like walking through warm Jello! But there is always the mall- go early, before the stores open, so the shoppers don't get in your way!