Question concerning "Calorie in, calorie out."

Options
As long as im taking in less calories than I'm burning per day I'll lose weight right?

My daily diet looks something like this:

Breatkfast = cinnamon oatmeal + coke zero (no calories)

lunch = salad or sometimes ill get a turkey and cheese sandwhich with some chips and a water

dinner = like 10 pizza rolls and a coke

With all of this combined I still have about 20 calories left over. Mind you, this is with "Lightly Active" highlighted as well, and I work in a fast paced retail envrionment getting cardio so i don't need to go to the gym really. And I don't always eat like that either, my breakfast is always oatmeal and water or some 0 calorie drink. Lunch is often healthy too, usually a salad or something nutritious, but my dinner is always something that satisfies any cravings i might have which helps me stay on track.

Thoughts?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    If your concern is just weight loss, then it is just about CICO. You're obviously lacking in nutrient dense foods though and that WILL affect the efficiency of your body and eventually your health. Should try to balance it out more instead of just going for the whole "weightloss" look. Being right on the inside counts too.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • slash334
    slash334 Posts: 10
    Options
    Reevaluate your goals. Eating like that might allow you to n lose weight but that doesn't make it a good idea. You have no fruits, no vegetables and you obviously don't put thought into macronutrients. 10 pizza rolls and coke is not a dinner. You are not 5 years old and it's time to start eating like an adult.

I may not eat like an adult but atleast I act like one.

You should try it sometime. It's nice.
  • Sage812
    Sage812 Posts: 10
    Options
    Where's the protein its all carbs?

here's what I typically eat: (1600 calories): about 130g protein, 57g fat, 170 g carb macros 40/30/30

Breakfast: peanut butter oatmeal, 5 egg white omelet, 1 cup almond breeze vanilla iced coffee
    Lunch: salad with 6 oz chicken, nuts, feta cheese, 1 tbsp. ranch dressing and 1 piece of fruit
    Dinner: 3/4 cup rice, 6 oz chicken and 2 cups of veggies
    Snack: 200 calories whatever I want (usually icecream or popcorn)
  • slash334
    Options

here's what I typically eat: (1600 calories): about 130g protein, 57g fat, 170 g carb macros 40/30/30

Breakfast: peanut butter oatmeal, 5 egg white omelet, 1 cup almond breeze vanilla iced coffee
    Lunch: salad with 6 oz chicken, nuts, feta cheese, 1 tbsp. ranch dressing and 1 piece of fruit

I've tried eating like that but I can't do it. I get sick after eating that for awhile. Plus I can't stick to it.

I like my pasta, my beer, cheese.

I lost about 47 pounds a few summers ago eating and maintaining a 900 calorie a day diet and doing heavy daily cardio. But I've gained about 20 of it back since then.

Eating nothing but fruits, veggies and chicken all day every day is not a realistic thing for me. It's just not and it never will. I'm too accustomed to processed foods.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Reevaluate your goals. Eating like that might allow you to n lose weight but that doesn't make it a good idea. You have no fruits, no vegetables and you obviously don't put thought into macronutrients. 10 pizza rolls and coke is not a dinner. You are not 5 years old and it's time to start eating like an adult.

Reported for being a d-bag.
    Um...well, I'm going to report you for insulting another user. :wink:

Okay,let's get real here. Yes, it's calories in/out as both niner and M27 said, but losing weight is also about meeting all your macros. With the dietary plan you describe that is not possible. I suggest you eat more fruits, vegetables, and nutrient dense foods to where you can reach your macros.

And, M27 is right--10 pizza rolls and coke is not dinner. However, a couple of pizza roles, yam, and asparagus with coke might be.
  • slash334
    Options

Reported for being a d-bag.
    Um...well, I'm going to report you for insulting another user. :wink:

Okay,let's get real here. Yes, it's calories in/out as both niner and M27 said, but losing weight is also about meeting all your macros. With the dietary plan you describe that is not possible. I suggest you eat more fruits, vegetables, and nutrient dense foods to where you can reach your macros.

And, M27 is right--10 pizza rolls and coke is not dinner. However, a couple of pizza roles, yam, and asparagus with coke might be.

But that's extra calories. I wouldn't mind throwing in some healthy stuff in with those pizza rolls or pasta or whatever for dinner.
  • alexandriamarino
    alexandriamarino Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Can you elaborate on what you mean by 'get sick?' Because from a medical standpoint, switching to what the other poster eats will make you healthy...

I think you have your answer about calories in/calories out. Understandably the content of your diet is a little worrisome to a lot of us for your long term health :(
  • slash334
    Options
    Okay please don't go around using words like "Macros."

What the hell is a Macro anyway.

This stuff just confuses me.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

I've tried eating like that but I can't do it. I get sick after eating that for awhile. Plus I can't stick to it.

I lost about 47 pounds a few summers ago eating and maintaining a 900 calorie a day diet and doing heavy daily cardio. But I've gained about 20 of it back since then.

Eating nothing but fruits, veggies and chicken all day every day is not a realistic thing for me. It's just not and it never will. I'm too accustomed to processed foods.
    You don't have to give up the foods you like at all. However, keep in mind that beer, pasta, and cheese are loaded with calories, so eating at a deficit at some point you will end up pretty darn hungry, which can lead to bingeing. If you cut back on some of the foods and just slowly add in some fruit and vegetables, your diet will be more rounded out. Of course, this has nothing to do with calories in/out, but it does have to do with satiation and eating nutritiously.
  • slash334
    Options

You don't have to give up the foods you like at all. However, keep in mind that beer, pasta, and cheese are loaded with calories, so eating at a deficit at some point you will end up pretty darn hungry, which can lead to bingeing. If you cut back on some of the foods and just slowly add in some fruit and vegetables, your diet will be more rounded out. Of course, this has nothing to do with calories in/out, but it does have to do with satiation and eating nutritiously.

Well. I don't know about anyone else but eating salads and fruits leaves me hungry after just a few hours.

Sorry but I gotta eat more manly-er foods than that. Hence pastas, cheeses meats etc.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely loads of information out there - on here and around google.

Macro is macronutrient. There are three, basically; carbs, fat and protein.

When losing weight I wouldn't worry too much about the first two unless you find the numbers are REALLY low.
    Getting enough protein in helps ensure your body is burning fat rather than muscle. You're not getting anywhere near the recommended levels for that (note, recommended levels are way higher than MFP targets.)

Have you tried eating the same calories of salad?
    To match the calories in a serving of pasta, you need a hell of a lot of salad.

Eating a whole salad without dressing can be equivalent to a couple of spoonfulls of pasta - so no wonder you're getting hungry!
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Okay please don't go around using words like "Macros."

What the hell is a Macro anyway.

This stuff just confuses me.

It is a breakdown of the food you eat into Calories, Carbs, Fat, Protein, Sodium and Sugar. It is a good tool to see how your overall goals are being met. And if I were you, I would weigh and measure everything you eat. Until you do that, it is hard to say how many calories you are really getting. Like the others, I would suggest more real food, and less processed food. But you can do it like I did with the milk in my coffee. I reduced it a little every week, until after a couple of months I was drinking it black. I did it so gradual it was hard to notice it.

Anyway, good luck with your loss.

Larro
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    It is a breakdown of the food you eat into Calories, Carbs, Fat, Protein, Sodium and Sugar
    That is the standard display format MFP uses, maybe.
    A macro (macronutrient) is specifically Carbs, fat and protein.
    Calories are a unit of energy, sodium is a mineral (would be grouped with micronutrients) and Sugar is a type of carb.
  • DJ7203
    DJ7203 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I'm going to guess this is someone just trying to get attention.....
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Me too, which is why I still eat them, and I still lose weight. You don't have to eat nothing but fruits & veggies, in fact I'd never survive on that. Like you, just eating a salad leaves me hungry in a short amount of time - unless it's a salad topped with meat and some good healthy fats.

Don't get bent when someone points out where you can improve - is that not why you're here asking questions? If you don't know what a macro is (I didn't either a couple of years ago), ask, or open a new tab on your browser and Google it! Learn new stuff - it's awesome!

As for your former weight loss success on 900 calories a day - duuuuude! You're a dude - you NEED more than 900 calories a day. I'm a 46 year old chick, and I lose eating 1800-2000+ cals a day! And like I said, I still eat pasta, beer and cheese, along with burgers, pizza, ice cream, candy bars, etc - they fit into my calories (and my macros! :tongue: ). I don't eat only those things, but alongside healthier choices, like lean meats, veggies, fruits, nuts and healthy fats.

It's about eating the PROPER number of calories for your stats - you don't want to over eat, but you sure don't want to under eat either. You might lose some weight, but it's not sustainable, and it really sucks to eat so little when you could be eating more and still be successful. Plus you can kiss lean muscle goodbye along with any fat that comes off with a super low cal diet, and you end up with a slimmer, but still squishy version of your former self rather than a fit, lean, healthy strong version.

Eat your calories, find healthy foods that you like and eat them along side your pizza rolls and diet Coke. Or eat fewer pizza rolls and more healthy stuff - find the balance. Lose it and keep it off this time around, and still enjoy life and the foods you love!
  • Sage812
    Sage812 Posts: 10
    Options

Yes, I eat some, fruit, veggies and chicken, but that's not all I eat...I would struggle with that too. And anyways I could mix up the chicken with other types of meat but its the most convenient at the moment and it tastes good so it works.

Well everyone has different tastes that's for sure. That's what works for me. However I can assure you everything I eat regularly is something I find absolutely delicious. Plain and simple if something tastes awful I won't eat it. I absolutely love my peanut butter oatmeal I have that down to a science. The egg white omelet is good too. I don't have anything against egg yolks I just want to meet my protein goals without going overboard in calories. The iced coffee is delicious I recommend it. My salad is far from boring. Chicken, nuts, feta cheese and some dressing tossed together is yummy. I like fruit. And as for dinner chicken, veggies and rice is pretty basic, but it doesn't have to be rice. It could be pasta and chicken, some type of sandwich whatever. As long as I have a protein, carb and veggie together I will meet my macro goals. And then I have a treat of whatever I want in a moderate portion...I don't feel deprived.

I guess you have to find what works for you but if you eat basically nothing but pasta, cheese and beer...well anybody could tell you that isn't balanced and I think you know that too. But yes weight loss comes down to calories in, calories out so you would lose weight if you were low enough in calories. To me fat loss is more important than weight loss per say so I try not to cut my calories too much and strive to meet my macros so I retain muscle while losing fat.
  • skruttan44
    skruttan44 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    there is one issue I have seen over and over when people wonder about not losing weight, and no one has mentioned this after viewing their diaries, so I would love to hear others insight in this.

Macros are always mentioned, and calories highly rated. However, when viewing these peoples diaries, they are always consuming too much fat (and often sodium and/or carbs) even if they stick to the correct (supposedly) number of calories.
    If one consumes too much fat on a consistent basis, wouldn't that perhaps stop weight loss even if calories are not over consumed?

I have only seen mentioning of that too high sodium levels might make them retain water weight, never anyone mentioning the too high fat consumption? It must have some affect?
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

If one consumes too much fat on a consistent basis, wouldn't that perhaps stop weight loss even if calories are not over consumed?

No.