Doesn't anyone each fruit and veg anymore?

Options

Replies

• CLH00
    CLH00 Posts: 15
    Options
    I loves my fruit and vegetables. Using fruit and vegetables in my cooking makes me be more adventurous in the kitchen :happy:
    I wasn't always like this, though. I used to be addicted to more starchy foods, like bread, and potatoes, and pasta. Although I still eat these, I apply a lot more moderation to my portion sizes (a maximum of two slices of wholemeal bread per day, only a handful of pasta, boiled new potatoes, etc). I noticed that my carbs overload made me sluggish, tired, and too full. Now, if I include LESS vegetables and fruit (particularly raw vegetables and fruit), I notice the effect this has on my mood, my energy levels, and the way I feel in general (this goes for exercise, too. I find that my mood plateaus if I don't exercise a little bit each week).

BUT, going in my favour in all of this... I'm a vegetarian. Ahah x
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I'm retraining myself towards more fruits and veggies, my parents and sister are and were obese for my childhood and before I was born, they were all processed food junkies, so it's been a lil difficult to get into a new habit the past few years after growing up that way, but it's happening, bit by bit. I especially love cucumbers, corn, carrots, peas, spinach, tomatoes, avocados, oranges, bananas, kiwis, apples...nothing too special, but mmmm, I'm enjoying the process!
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I have to agree on most not eating enough fruits and veggies in their diets! I myself never really touched fruits and veggies untill I started eating healthier and now I love them, especially sliced apples by crunch pak! My sister's daughter who is 6 years old is very overweight. I feel so bad for her as her mother, my sister buys so much junk food every time she goes shopping. When my neice comes to my house she will eat carrots, apples, bananas and the like.My sister didn't even know that her daughter liked Salmon until I made it and fed it to her. Countless times I have told my sister that she actually likes and perfers those foods to her junk food choices, still, my sister choses to bring countless junk food items into her home. It really saddens me and I know that my neice will have a weight problem for life. It's not fair to her and her mother has no desire to change it. Because she doesn't have a weight problem she doesn't seem to care. It's unfortunate that the child has to suffer and will be ridiculed throughout school. I only occassionally bring sweets into my home for my kids, if they want it, we have to make an effort to go out and buy it! I know that when summer comes back around I will be trying out new and different types of veggies and fruits to add to my diet when in season. I can't wait because you get a lot for the calories and the health benefits are naturally great! Heres to the power of fruits and veggies!
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    The great thing about veggies is that you can eat a ****load of them and not have to worry about going over on calories. Especially cucumbers/spinach/broccoli/peppers/greens and things of that nature.
  • twilitemist74
    Options
    i live on frozen veggies!!!
  • VezNo1
    VezNo1 Posts: 83
    Options
    Hi

I know what you mean, being new I have been looking at some food diaries for new ideas and was quite surprised by the amount of processed foods in them. It may well be a sign of the times, but moving away from processed foods can be an education in itself.

I have a great warm veg salad you can try with home made dressing:
    Carrots, Cauliflower, brocolli, trimmed beans, parsley and a dressing of 2 tablespoons low fat nautral yogurt, 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, 2 teasponns runny honey and a half a crushed garlic.
    Put all the dressing ingredients in a screw top jar and shake up.
    Once the veg has been blanched for about 4 minutes, drain the water and chuck the dressing in along with a tablespoon of fresh chopped italian flat leaf parsley.
    I normally have this as a side with some grilled Chicken or Fish, it looks colourful and tastes great.

If anyone reading this wants to share diaries to borrow ideas please add me
    Thanks
    Verity
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Maybe it was my own diary you looked at ;o)

I am learning, little by little to add fruits and vegetables to my diet. I have to say that I live in the middle of the north pole (AKA Montreal) and when it is cold outside, I find it challanging to eat fruits and vegetables. In summer it's another story since everything taste so much better!!!! But that being said, I still try. I won't change everything right away because I think it's the best way to fail.
  • iamkatyg
    Options
    I eat loads of fruit and veg!!! I am trying to eat paleo at the moment, ie cutting out all grain related things and just eating lean meat anf fish, fruit, veg, nuts and seeds, and eggs (and a tiny bit of cheese for my sanity). Its not really a DIET but a lifestyle change... I have lost 7lbs since Christmas pretty much without trying! And now I'm going to the gym 4 times a week I'm hoping I can shape up in no time at all!! Some friends of mine run a personal training centre and the results from their clients who are eating paleo are outstanding... gotta be worth a try surely!

www.thepaleodiet.com
  • punkrawkcutie
    punkrawkcutie Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I have to say that I live in the middle of the north pole (AKA Montreal) and when it is cold outside, I find it challanging to eat fruits and vegetables. In summer it's another story since everything taste so much better!!!!

Not only taste better in the summer but in Canada, fruits and vegitables are WAY more expensive in the winter then in the summer, so sometimes it is a case of what can the person afford. And like someone else stated, sometimes they aren't listed as "carrot-1" because they've been made into a sauce or a meal.
    I agree people do not eat as many as they should, but truthfully who are any of us to judge other people for it?
  • dmags
    dmags Posts: 303
    Options
    anything special you have to do when baking a sweet potato...sounds yummy!
  • fit4lifeministries
    Options
    Fruits and raw veggies are the staple for my meals, and have been for over 4.5 years now. They are unbelievable and have made an impact on my life in more ways than I can count: skin, immune system, energy level, vitality and weight. There is definitely something to be said for the right combination of fruits, veggies and lean protein mixed with the complex carbs of whole grains. Wow, who would have thought that the doctors of old had it right...exercise and eat a balanced diet. Huh? No science, no gimmics.
  • iwantmyskinnyjeans
    Options
    I definitely do! I usually eat about 8 servings of fruit/veggies a day! Love 'em.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    You're not looking at the right food journals then.
    I eat a crap load for veggies and fruit.
    I try to eat as much of the real food as possible.
    I have my quick nights, like tonight where I eat my turkey burgers, but I usually have some a veggie with it.
    I try to eats the least amount of processed foods as I can.
    (baby steps sometimes!)
    Steph:flowerforyou:

Ditto!!

The dirty little secret of losing weight is you have it eat...but it needs to be real food. Lots of people think they can just count calories and that often works for awhile, especially if you are younger, new to the game, or have a lot of weight to lose. But if those calories are nutritionaly void, weight loss will come to a screeching halt, and they may even start gaining again, because their bodies aren't getting what it needs.
  • Lazyboy09
    Lazyboy09 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Fruits and veggies.. what is that, some kind of hippie food?
  • egbkid
    egbkid Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I know it is not a good excuse, but honestly i don't eat more fruit and veggies because it is just to expensive. Around here, almost everything is shipped in. The only local fruits we have are berries in the summer, and apples in the fall. Veggies are abundant in the fall, since i live in a place with lots of farming, but once Christmas passes, the prices skyrocket until July or August. It costs 3 or 4 dollars for something like an onion or green pepper, more if it is a yellow, red or orange pepper. Lettuce is close to 4 or 5 dollars a head, when you are on a limited budget, it is tough, and unfortunately you can't freeze everything. The best thing i can hope for is bananas, potatoes and carrots, they are cheap all the time. So usually I just get the pre-packaged food with as many veggies in it as possible, I read labels like a fiend and try to get the healthiest that i can for my few bucks, or if i end up buying lunch (not often, though) I go to Subway and get a veggie sub.
  • dmags
    dmags Posts: 303
    Options
    just curious, I always eat fresh asparagus, is the frozen any good?
  • jlsironen
    jlsironen Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I agree, people don't have their kids try veggies as much as they used to! Granted when my little one was a baby and started on baby food, we had to mix everything with sweet potatoes for her to eat it. Now she LOVES broccoli and it cracks me up! She isn't big on carrots for some reason but will steal everyone's broccoli and green beans :)
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    About 75% of my snacks are fruits/veggies. I also get in at least one serving of fruit/veggie at each meal...usually 2. It's hard to completely do away with processed foods, but I do the best I can...and I don't eat fast food (ughhhh disgusting habit!).
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    just curious, I always eat fresh asparagus, is the frozen any good?

I've tried a few frozen asparagus - seems to depend a LOT on the brand. I've had some that were awful (green giant) and some that was certainly not like fresh, but pretty good (pictsweet).
  • We eat fruit and veggies every day, but I understand why this question was asked. America as a whole is way too addicted to fast, cheap processed food. I was in a discussion with some people on FB the other day and this point became abundantly clear. One lady was from South Africa I believe and another said she was from Brazil. They each noted that they had only eaten hamburgers a couple times in their lives because they did not ready access to them until they got here. Now they really do not have a craving for hamburgers the way we tend to. But being brought up here, Americans have access to, and consume more food than almost any other country. We have unfortunately been trained that it is just easier and cheaper to hit the drive through on the way home. And it saves you time so you can have more family time, right? But what do we do with that family time? The kids go to their rooms and turn oon TV and the parents go somewhere else and turn on more TV. What about spending some real quality time preparing a great (better than drive through by far) meal with the kids and entire family together? This is actual family time and our kids will become conditioned to eat healthy. Overweight adults? hey, we did it to ourselves. Overweight kids? Breaks my heart to see our youth with health problems like diabetes, heart disease and sleep apnea.

Sorry about the rant but we can save our kids lives by saving our own. Most of you here seem to realize these things, but we have to reach out to those don't see the big picture yet. God Bless.