Why Aspartame IS scary!

Options
12345679»

Replies

• scarlettesong
    scarlettesong Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    If anyone is curious, I'm seeing a registered dietician and nutritionist once a week, and we just talked about aspartame this week. The scary part of aspartame is that it can cross the placenta's barrier when a woman is pregnant. The long term effects is that their babies are born with a stronger craving for sweet things, in spite of the fact that babies' range of taste is pretty terrible. I asked her to send me the study because I'd like to see at what levels per day aspartame caused these effects.
  • scarlettesong
    scarlettesong Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    My dietitian also pointed out that zero calorie drinks aren't good for you because of how the brain reacts. It's expecting calories because the drink tasted sugary. When your brain doesn't see those calories come around, you get an even stronger craving for something sweet! So, a diet drink with something to eat is probably fine, but on its own, you're better off with a small piece of fruit to kill that sweet tooth.
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    This thread is a LIE for a very basic biological reason.

Bacteria are single celled organisms and do not have digestive tracts, to say nothing of "feces".

Ignorance is NOT bliss.

Our education system fails us once again.
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I won't explain to ou how many things are by products (ie poop) of bacteria. I mean, if you think about it, many people poison themselves with the byproduct of a disease so deadly that a pound of it would wipe out the world. And yet they are able to safely inject themselves with the byproduct in order to induce swelling to seek beauty, and we all still live.

Please. Just because it says bacteria or virus doesn't mean it will harm you. We have genes thanks to viruses our ancestors dealt with that make us stronger, and newsflash, it's viral DNA not human DNA. Or i was until our DNA decided to say "Oh me mine!"

This, exactly.

Of note: There are more bacterial cells in the human body than human cells. We are all walking bacterial colonies, so to speak. Bacteria are not bad things, and we use them and their massive spectrum of processes and products every single day of our lives.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options
    My dietitian also pointed out that zero calorie drinks aren't good for you because of how the brain reacts. It's expecting calories because the drink tasted sugary. When your brain doesn't see those calories come around, you get an even stronger craving for something sweet! So, a diet drink with something to eat is probably fine, but on its own, you're better off with a small piece of fruit to kill that sweet tooth.

this is such a subjective personal thing - if you find diet sodas without food give your cravings - don't drink them without food.

But I often drink them without food (unless Southern Comfort counts as food LOL) and it doesn't give me cravings at all - so I will continue right on.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    If anyone is curious, I'm seeing a registered dietician and nutritionist once a week, and we just talked about aspartame this week. The scary part of aspartame is that it can cross the placenta's barrier when a woman is pregnant. The long term effects is that their babies are born with a stronger craving for sweet things, in spite of the fact that babies' range of taste is pretty terrible. I asked her to send me the study because I'd like to see at what levels per day aspartame caused these effects.

Yeah well you are going to be waiting quite a while for that study I suspect because what your dietician told you doesn't make a lick of sense.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

Bacteria are single celled organisms and do not have digestive tracts, to say nothing of "feces".

Ignorance is NOT bliss.

Hey hey hey, as a representative of said education system......... yea ok, I got nuthin. :grumble:
  • Libby283
    Libby283 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Whatever you want to call it, there's a lot of evidence to support it's relationship to brain tumors.
    I think any sweetener made in a chemistry lab is suspect anyways...if I need a sweetener I'll take honey. The calories are as real as the sweetener.

I agree. I would rather have real sugar then fake sweetener. Plus the fake stuff has a really gross taste. Water is more appealing than that aftertaste.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

Ignorance is NOT bliss.

Hey hey hey, as a representative of said education system......... yea ok, I got nuthin. :grumble:

I'd have left the digestive tract comment pass since vesicular trafficking in microbes is analogous enough. At least OP didn't think E. Coli is a virus. I hear that one a lot.

But feces? No. Not even close.