How important is protein?

Options
I'm wanting to gain some muscle, especially to tone my tummy. I read a bunch or articles online that says you have to consume protein either before or after a workout and before you go to sleep to ensure your body doesnt break down your muscle, but is it really necessary? Atm I run for a hr 5 times a week (in the mornings) and then work in 4 15min ab workouts during the day and I'm adding a extra 15min of leg and arm workouts (on separate days) from tomorrow. So will consuming protein before or after my runs and before I go to sleep aid in building muscle or will it be useless if I get enough protein in during my daily meals? Also, can anyone pleas give me any other advice with toning my stomach and how long till I see results. Thanks :)

Replies

• ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I'm wanting to gain some muscle, especially to tone my tummy. I read a bunch or articles online that says you have to consume protein either before or after a workout and before you go to sleep to ensure your body doesnt break down your muscle, but is it really necessary? Atm I run for a hr 5 times a week (in the mornings) and then work in 4 15min ab workouts during the day and I'm adding a extra 15min of leg and arm workouts (on separate days) from tomorrow. So will consuming protein before or after my runs and before I go to sleep aid in building muscle or will it be useless if I get enough protein in during my daily meals? Also, can anyone pleas give me any other advice with toning my stomach and how long till I see results. Thanks :)

When we exercise, we subject our muscles to stress that realists in "micro-tears". This is a normal consequence of a workout. The muscles repair themselves during "recovery" and, as a result of recovery, we become stronger and/or more fit.

My interest is running and, in that world, we only need about 1 gm per kilo of body weight. Sites that sell protein, recommend up to 1.5 but I've never seen any sounds research that recommends more than 1 gm/kg.

Greg McMillan, of McMillan Running, recommends only about 0.8 which I feel is kinda low but Greg has trained far more Olympians that I have! :-)

In my diet, I aim for about 100 gm/day, which is a bit over 1.2 gm/kg but I end up going over that, unfortunately. The only qualm with additional protein is that we just urinate most of it out, hence the comment that "Americans have the most expensive urine in the world."

Eat some protein before a workout? Personally, I wouldn't bother but I wouldn't avoid it either.

Bigger issue is post-run feeding and that's when we get to be a kid again — chocolate milk. It's got the CHO we need and it also has the right balance of CHO and protein (the world of science tells us that 4 to 1 is the best CHO to protein ratio).

Today, was a brutal run for me (two days in a row-ugh) so I scarfed down a quart of chocolate milk and a banana. Yum!

Toning your stomach - "toning" is a marketing word. It's used to sell gym memberships but, in terms of developing muscle or endurance, it's a non sequitur.

If you want folks to see your abs, do a lot of ab work (enthusiastic sex is a good workout for guys) and then lose body fat.
  • lauraelizafit
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks for the help :) think I'll stick to my usual routine of eating after my morning run and try and work in a few extra gms of protein :)
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Good advice above. I stick to 1 gram per pound of bodyweight or thereabouts, and try and get protein in every meal (I eat 5-6 times a day). Its great to have a protein shake (fast absorbing) after a workout to fuel those muscles. Stick to this and you cant go wrong
  • cmacr
    cmacr Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi there, you don't tone a muscle so to speak, its more to do with how much muscle you have/grow and how much body fat you are carrying.

Doing ab work certainly will help build up; the muscles in you stomach as any exercise will do for its targeted area but will not make them show.

The key to showing off your abs is a low body fat percentage, now everyone is different in that respect, you will find as you lose body fat around your abdomen your abs will begin to show through.

The whole meal window theory is completely irrelevant to the ordinary person, eat when it is convenient for you to do so, your body knows what to do with the food you eat regardless of time.

Meal timing only becomes relevant when you are at an "elite" level (think competitive body-builder, athletes etc., particularly ones that use performance enhancing drugs as they need to be very strict in that respect because of what they take-remember this is these peoples job).

What you need to do if you want to gain a bit of muscle, is forget about having visible abs to start with, eat at a small calorie surplus first so you can build up the desired amount of muscle.

Looking at your picture you don't seem to be carrying much bodyfat, so the best way to reach your goals would be to do some full body resistance/weight training 3 times per week (no more), continue your cardio if you want.

Once you reach your desired amount of muscle, begin eating at a deficit, weight train, do some cardio, your body will lose fat and you will begin to see definition in all your muscles. As is the case for most people the stomach area is often the last thing to come off so stick with it and you will get your results :smile:
  • riadhdeb
    riadhdeb Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Its a waste of moeny and it will make u fat, If u get enough protein from food then thats all u need
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Its a waste of moeny and it will make u fat, If u get enough protein from food then thats all u need

Sorry what now?

Excess calories make you fat.

I aim for a minimum if 100g of protein a day that's roughy 1g per pound of lbm. Getting a good amount of protein. Does help you retain muscle when dieting if you combine it with lifting - you need to remind your body that you use and want to keep your muscles :wink:

Add in some resistance work either weights or bodyweightto help keep you muscle while you lose the fat :flowerforyou:

Oh and I use protein whey to help hit my protein target some days, it's not a waste of money if you use it correctly. I had a protein shake for breakfast as I was short of time this morning. Scoop of chocolate protein power, raspberries and some yogurt. Quick and filling.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Unless you are lifting heavy, or nursing an injury, for a mainly aerobic exercise regime you probably do not need any more than 0.7g per pound of Lean mass.

For your type of exercise, unless you are completely depleting your glycogen stores during your run, when you eat is not really that important - just as long as you do.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Unless you are lifting heavy, or nursing an injury, for a mainly aerobic exercise regime you probably do not need any more than 0.7g per pound of Lean mass.

For your type of exercise, unless you are completely depleting your glycogen stores during your run, when you eat is not really that important - just as long as you do.

Except that they are trying to gain muscle - so 1g per lb of lbm is more advisable.

OP - I take it you are eating at a surplus, doing a bulk as that is the easiest way to gain muscle - posting in the gaining weight section might get you better answers - or try the group eat, train, progress.

If you are a beginner to weights a solid full body workout will probably be more beneficial to gaining muscle. Have you looked at stronglifts 5x5 or new rules of lifting for women?

As for 'toning' your stomach that comes from losing fat - and doing a full body weight workout will help with that.

I suspect your 15 minute arm and leg workouts won't achieve the desired results. Sorry.

EDIT: I just checked out your other posts - you won't gain muscle on a 1200 cal a day diet, I'm also concerned that you've got that you want to lose 30lbs - if that picture is yourself then there isn't 30lbs to lose - what is your actual goal?
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Except that they are trying to gain muscle - so 1g per lb of lbm is more advisable.

OP - I take it you are eating at a surplus, doing a bulk as that is the easiest way to gain muscle - posting in the gaining weight section might get you better answers - or try the group eat, train, progress.

If you are a beginner to weights a solid full body workout will probably be more beneficial to gaining muscle. Have you looked at stronglifts 5x5 or new rules of lifting for women?

As for 'toning' your stomach that comes from losing fat - and doing a full body weight workout will help with that.

I suspect your 15 minute arm and leg workouts won't achieve the desired results. Sorry.

EDIT: I just checked out your other posts - you won't gain muscle on a 1200 cal a day diet, I'm also concerned that you've got that you want to lose 30lbs - if that picture is yourself then there isn't 30lbs to lose - what is your actual goal?

I took it the OP wasn't looking to actually gain muscle, but to increase her lean mass percentage!

Based on the exercise she has put down in the post 0.7g is probably tops of what she needs, although 1g will do not harm.
  • VeganCappy
    VeganCappy Posts: 122
    Options
    In studies, .75 g/lb was the highest protein requirement to effect nitrogen balance in bodybuilders working out 1.5 hours a day. Now, if we assume they were completely sedentary the rest of the day, and burn around 50% of their RMR during their workouts, this comes out to around 15.4% protein by calories. If they were more active during the day, this ratio drops even further.

Percent of calories is a far more useful way to determine protein consumption. g/lb or g/kg does make a lot of sense, because if a powerlifter burns 6,000 calories in a day, then using g/lb or kg, they would need half the protein which is a little silly. If they maintain a percent of protein by calories, they will get a larger amount of protein in their diet when they consume more food.

Even if you are an extreme athlete, anything more than 15% is a complete waste, and that has a large margin built into it.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    In studies, .75 g/lb was the highest protein requirement to effect nitrogen balance in bodybuilders working out 1.5 hours a day. Now, if we assume they were completely sedentary the rest of the day, and burn around 50% of their RMR during their workouts, this comes out to around 15.4% protein by calories. If they were more active during the day, this ratio drops even further.

Percent of calories is a far more useful way to determine protein consumption. g/lb or g/kg does make a lot of sense, because if a powerlifter burns 6,000 calories in a day, then using g/lb or kg, they would need half the protein which is a little silly. If they maintain a percent of protein by calories, they will get a larger amount of protein in their diet when they consume more food.

Even if you are an extreme athlete, anything more than 15% is a complete waste, and that has a large margin built into it.

studies also suggest intakes as high as 2 g/lb bodyweight MIGHT be useful in elite strength trainers/athletes.

If you don't have to supply your source I don't have to supply mine either.
  • _John_
    Options

complete waste as in not even converted to glucose and used as energy?
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

Made up figures are made up.

And more on why percentages are the wrong way to set up a diet:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/diet-percentages-part-2.html
  • VeganCappy
    Options

studies also suggest intakes as high as 2 g/lb bodyweight MIGHT be useful in elite strength trainers/athletes.

Ask and you shall receive. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1400008
  • VeganCappy
    Options

Opinion articles are always much better to rely on when considering health and nutrition rather than actual science.
  • FunkyTobias
    Options

Opinion articles are always much better to rely on when considering health and nutrition rather than actual science.

Please cite the "science" that states that percentages are better than g/kg when determining macronutrient requirements.
  • FunkyTobias
    Options

12 men. Stunning.

Nitrogen-balance as the metric (which tends to underestimate protein requirements).

And then there is this:
    These data indicate that, during the early stages of intensive bodybuilding training, PRO needs are approximately 100% greater than current recommendations
  • _John_
    Options

The recommended intake (requirement + 2 SD) was 1.6-1.7 g.kg-1.day-1.
    PRO needs are approximately 100% greater than current recommendations

I'm sure those young men in the study were on a caloric surplus where protein as a % of calorie intake is lowered.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

Your study only included 12 out of shape men and only lasted for 1 month. Furthermore your 0.75g/lb number does not seem supported by the abstract.
  • VeganCappy
    Options
    "These data indicate that, during the early stages of intensive bodybuilding training, PRO needs are approximately 100% greater than current recommendations but that PROIN increases from 1.35 to 2.62 g.kg-1.day-1 do not enhance muscle mass/strength gains, at least during the 1st mo of training. Whether differential gains would occur with longer training remains to be determined."

1.35 g/kg comes out to around 12.6% protein by calories based on a RMR + 50% RMR caloric needs.

Do you have ANY science that shows people need more more protein? Or are you only going to post opinion articles and throw attacks at me for posting studies that contradict your unsubstantiated opinions?