Couch to 5k

Options

Replies

• ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I'm alive! I just haven't been posting, but I'm in the middle of week 7 right now. Did day 2 this morning. Oddly, it's not all that bad. I run outside and it's cold here (Windsor, England) but not painfully so. I find that a coffee, banana, oat milk smoothie (with ice) and a half-serving of porridge (oatmeal) are the perfect fuel about an hour to a half hour before I go out. I've got a 5k scheduled for Jan 23rd, and then I'll be training for the half marathon whose entry form I'm making my husband print today so I can send it in. The half is in September, which gives me a long time to train and I found a 15-week beginners' half-marathon training program, which will give me plenty of time in case I need a break, I hurt myself, or I have to repeat a week or two. I'm getting really excited about all this! Last year, if anyone had told me I'd be running a half-marathon in 2011, I'd have peed myself laughing. Now, I know I'm going to do it, and it's an amazing feeling. Does anyone else have plans for something similar after c25k? I find that having signed up for the 5k really helps me to keep going while I'm jogging and it seems like I can't go on. I just remember the race and tell myself I need to do it if I want to finish that race without walking.
  • meanness67
    meanness67 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    A friend and I were just taling about the Flying Pig Marathon in Cincinnati - they have a 5K, 10K, half marathon and full marathon in October. I'm thinking about signing up for the 10K which will keep me going after I complete this program.
  • motoxmom1
    Options
    meanness67 you were right about Week 4, it was a big jump up in the amount of running. I did it though! I have to say I was pretty proud of myself. I plan on doing a Triathalon (the short course 300 yard swim, 8.24 mile bike ride and finish with a 5k run) in June. The only thing holding me back was this running but thanks to C25K I know I can do it!
  • meanness67
    Options
    Great Job motoxmom1!!!

I finished Week 5 Day 2 this morning. Friday is 20 minutes straight jogging...Yikes!! I know I can do it though because this morning I felt like I could keep going.
  • amcmillan730
    amcmillan730 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    you guys are awesome! gonna try week 3 tonight... tho i may end up back at week 2... gotta get back to it. i feel so behind!
  • meanness67
    Options
    Week 5 Done!!!! 20 minute run w/o stopping accomplished!!

On to Week 6...
  • amcmillan730
    Options

On to Week 6...

That's amazing! I thought my legs were going to fall off after 3 minutes yesterday... how do you do it? :)
  • motoxmom1
    Options
    Way to go!!! I'm a week behind you, I hope I have as much success with the 20 minute run as you did!!! You have to feel empowered!
  • gahdzila
    Options
    Ughhhhhhh! Having trouble getting back in the groove. I had a good run earlier this week. Then Wednesday, for some reason, I just COULD NOT DO IT. I ran about 12 minutes (roughly half of what I should be doing) and finally gave up and walked the rest. I'm not sure if maybe I cut too many calories earlier, or maybe just the stars weren't lined up just right for me or what. Within just a coulple of minutes of running, I was exhausting and panting. Whatever the cause, it's extremely discouraging and frustrating. Hopefully, it was just a bad day and my next run will be better. I seem to be having less and less time for the gym lately, but I'm going to try to go tonight after work.
  • meanness67
    Options

On to Week 6...

That's amazing! I thought my legs were going to fall off after 3 minutes yesterday... how do you do it? :)

I go slowly and trust the program...plus some awesome music blasting helps a lot!
  • meanness67
    Options
    Week 6 Day 1 complete. That first 5 minute run seemed hard this morning but I think it's because I did my Turbo Jam workout last night right before bed and my legs were tired. The rest of it seemed to go ok.
  • amcmillan730
    Options
    i have one more day of week 3... i'm definitely a little intimidated by week 4. such a wimp!
  • mandyshell
    Options
    I'm starting Week 5 today when I get off work. Nervous about W5D3 lol, but I'm gonna keep at it!!
  • amcmillan730
    Options
    I'm starting Week 5 today when I get off work. Nervous about W5D3 lol, but I'm gonna keep at it!!

Awesome job! I'm still finishing week 3!
  • motoxmom1
    Options
    I was supposed to start Week 4 yesterday but we got 6" of snow. I broke down this morning and added the gym to my current pool membership so I now have an indoor track to rely on.
  • meanness67
    Options
    W6D2 done. Friday will be 25 minutes straight... :noway:
  • amcmillan730
    Options

you can def do it!!!!!!!!!!
  • meanness67
    Options

Thanks for the support! I am sure it will go fine. Most people are stronger than they give themselves credit for. When I start thinking I can't do something, I imagine it's a "Biggest Loser Challenge" and make myself push through it!!
  • meanness67
    Options
    Week 6 done!!! 25 minutes straight....same thing for week 7 so it should be no problem.

How is everyone else doing??
  • amcmillan730
    Options

Thanks for the support! I am sure it will go fine. Most people are stronger than they give themselves credit for. When I start thinking I can't do something, I imagine it's a "Biggest Loser Challenge" and make myself push through it!!

haha. I've done the same thing. I'm having a bad week. I just wrote about it on another thread... so I'll just paste it here: haha

having a tough week. Something happened at work thats stressing me out... i hurt my knee tuesday at the gym... so i havent been back since, because im trying to rest it (going back today)... and got a notice about my students loans that are apparently overdue ($660... they had my OLD... very OLD address) and that I owe $220 a month. I could cry... and in fact that's what I did this morning while getting ready. Can't wait for my drums alive class tonight... to bang out a little frustration.

I will not let all of this get in the way of my weight loss... just because I've had a bad week does NOT mean I'm quitting!!!!!!