43P - 37F - 70C

Cost: 1.48$
1/6x1.50$ + 1/16*5.00$ + 1/6*2.50$ + 1/4*2.00$

Mirin'?

Replies

• sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    I dunno....

I think the Toast Sandwich takes the cake for Ultimate Poverty Dinner.

toast-sandwich-008.jpg
  • RamonaFr
    RamonaFr Posts: 112
    I don't know. I think the ultimate poverty dinner is anything you get off the $1 menu at a fast food place
  • xDawnsgrace
    xDawnsgrace Posts: 436
    i just bought 8 pounds of chicken leg quarters for 3$(which will feed my family three-four meals), and a 10 pound bag of potatoes for 3.50(which will last us a couple weeks)

idk i think i win
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    i just bought 8 pounds of chicken leg quarters for 3$(which will feed my family three-four meals), and a 10 pound bag of potatoes for 3.50(which will last us a couple weeks)
    But you have to know how to cook the chicken and potatoes are a pain to peel and prepare. Mine took as long to prepare as it took me to boil the eggs and still provides lots of macros, vitamins, fiber and satiation.

Not hatin', just saying it's two different approaches...
  • fr053n
    fr053n Posts: 2,793 Member
    that'll get boring real quick
  • JassiBear
    JassiBear Posts: 268 Member
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTB36Xklj0LJ10CBxx6dEO1fPhCa0LYxMuWS0YAAh-7hXnBnbBN7w
  • nesto610
    nesto610 Posts: 107
    I dunno....

toast-sandwich-008.jpg

BAHAHAHAHA!!!
  • _Tink_
    _Tink_ Posts: 3,845 Member
    I second the ramen. Thousands of college kids agree.
  • JassiBear
    JassiBear Posts: 268 Member

idk i think i win

Sorry but impoverished people are unlike to have the proper cooking appliances to prepare this meal lmao
  • GothJuice
    GothJuice Posts: 66 Member
    You don't know poverty until you've lived off 15p instant noodles... ahhh first year university... you were bad for my diet... ^_^
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    I dunno....

toast-sandwich-008.jpg

Luv it!
  • detox_pixie
    detox_pixie Posts: 166
    I think this one has more fiber

imag0001zm.jpg
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    I second the ramen. Thousands of college kids agree.

19 cents each

+1
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    I'm with ramen as the ultimate poverty meal. Not exactly healthy, but I could get it for 10 cents a package when I was in college. I couldn't afford to put gas in my car, so I'd walk to the nearest grocery store and get as much ramen as I could! It was light weight and easy to carry!
  • tootchute
    tootchute Posts: 392 Member
    I always thought bag noodles (Ramen) were a poverty dinner.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Here in Mexico the ultimate poverty dinner is a corn tortilla wrapped around a dry chile....total : 55-60 calories.
    There are an average of 4 million people in a population of just over 112 million who are glad when they can eat three of those tacos more than once a day. Those are people with a family income of the equivalent of less than 1000.- ( yes; one thousand ! ) dollars a year.
    Normal poor people might add a half cup of cooked beans to that meal....and that's it.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    You don't know poverty until you've lived off 15p instant noodles... ahhh first year university... you were bad for my diet... ^_^
    Oh, I know ALL about that. Used to have a 40$/week spending budget, and 20-30 of those were spent on beer and smokes...

Problem with Ramen is that you'll be hungry again exactly 15 minutes after you're done eating.

ETA:
    Here in Mexico the ultimate poverty dinner is a corn tortilla wrapped around a dry chile...
    Well, the thread was supposed to be light-hearted...

I'm not sure what the real poverty dinner is here in the US. Back home (Romania), the ultimate poverty dinner would be fries. Potatoes and sunflower oil are both dirt-cheap and pan-frying can be done almost anywhere.
  • xDawnsgrace
    xDawnsgrace Posts: 436
    But you have to know how to cook the chicken and potatoes are a pain to peel and prepare. Mine took as long to prepare as it took me to boil the eggs and still provides lots of macros, vitamins, fiber and satiation.

understandable, but i just threw them in the oven for an hour and a half. baked potatoes and chicken :laugh:
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTB36Xklj0LJ10CBxx6dEO1fPhCa0LYxMuWS0YAAh-7hXnBnbBN7w

If you throw an egg or two in, you get protein that helps you stay feeling full. We ate this a LOT during our poverty days. I had to feed three people on $20 a week, so oodles of noodles and eggs were on the top of our grocery list.
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,819 Member
    Generic brand Cheerios with water. For dinner. That's the ultimate poverty dinner.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Tangwich FTW
    282fj41.gif
  • If you can afford meat your not living in poverty

understandable, but i just threw them in the oven for an hour and a half. baked potatoes and chicken :laugh:
  • bltrexler
    bltrexler Posts: 180 Member
    Tangwich FTW
    282fj41.gif

This wins!
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Just eat cereal like a normal human being!
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    People often assume vegans save money on food. In reality, vegan food items are more expensive overall. I have been rock-bottom-poor my entire adult life. I have always skimped on food, spending on food whatever is left over after paying bills, buying pet food and paper products and household/laundry products, personal care items, and cigarettes. Potato chips are my go-to meal. Food is the only variable in my budget; the only thing I can cut corners on. So it is potato chips for me, many days.
  • People say it's too expensive to eat healthy. That's a lie! I can feed a family of 4 adults for less than $60 a week. We eat good too, lots of veggies and fruit. The catch is prep and cooking time. Example.....Cauliflower.....a large head of raw Cauliflower is about $3 here in my area. That's enough for 2 dinners for 4 people, so $1.50 per meal....frozen Cauliflower is around $2 for 1 meal and not really enough for 4 people. I always look for stuff marked down for quick sale, but then you have to cook it that night so it won't spoil. I usually shop for 2 or 3 days worth of meals. I also coupon, this is difficult for clean eating as a lot of coupons are for items that are boxed or prepared but...... if you just use coupons for cleaning products, household products and beauty and bath products then you can use the savings on your grocery shopping. It can be done! No one in USA should have to eat the ultimate poverty dinner!
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    We weren't "poverty" but I grew up in the military and was a military wife.

My Mom always served our Ramen with scrambled eggs. I actually love it that way. My husband's mom would use chopped up Ham pieces and he liked his with pepper.

Sugar sandwiches
    ketchup sandwiches
    fried bologna
    cereal

my dad loved Vienna sausages but the smell makes me gag.
  • nesto610
    nesto610 Posts: 107
    Tangwich FTW
    282fj41.gif

I soooo remember this episode. Just remember to pinch the edges.....
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    We weren't "poverty" but I grew up in the military and was a military wife.

My Mom always served our Ramen with scrambled eggs. I actually love it that way. My husband's mom would use chopped up Ham pieces and he liked his with pepper.

Sugar sandwiches
    ketchup sandwiches
    fried bologna
    cereal

my dad loved Vienna sausages but the smell makes me gag.

Oh... I've seen mayo sandwiches too.
  • gypsyGIRL159
    gypsyGIRL159 Posts: 78 Member
    Oh wow!!!!

I don't classify this as a poverty dinner thing at all......

Its just food...... just eating..... just having a meal. Period.

I will have an awesome day whether I dine on T-Bone Steak or Fried Green Tomatoes or even An apple for Dinner... Thats just me, and how I was raised. LOL!

However, it is amazing to see that many people THINK and assume that poor people are eating poorly. Actually, most of these people are eating much better than we give them credit. They make Gravy.... and eat it (every meal) until its GONE...... they cook big pots of Rice.... and Oatmeal........ and Grits..... and Potatoes...... and Greens...... and they serve Meatless meals........... they "COOK" period.

They can COOK and DO COOK.... and they have no desire to eat out. LOL...

They freeze leftovers, and use and re-use them. They have sense enough to leave the Raimens in the store..... and buy regular noodles. Raimens may taste good... but its just the Sodium tricking you into eating more sodium.

They make casseroles, and make huge pots of Pinto Beans, Lima Beans, Black Eyed Peas, Lentils, and enough cornbread to feed an Army. They NEVER throw away ANYTHING!!!! Even if it has mold growing on it!

Food is precious.... Food means LIFE.

Seriously!

Some of them are on assistance.... and get Food Stamps.... some and MOST aren't.

Some of them still borrow a cup of sugar, a cup of Grits, and/or a cup/box of Oatmeal.

Many of them will put butter or margarine on a slice of bread..... and sprinkle a little Sugar on it - and call it a meal.... Which is fine..... its better than going to Micky D's.

Many more of those same people will, and DO eat the same thing ever & over again for weeks and NEVER GET BORED... or complain because its called making due - not being poor, or living in Poverty.

These people take whatever they have, and put it on the table, say grace over it and thank God for it, break it and serve it to their families...... and hit that repeat button the next day..... come Rain or Shine. Prayerfully.

I know because its normal for me to eat what I have, and not even consider being ungrateful, or picky, or choosy.

I am not Poor...... I am RICH indeed.... because I have my Health and my Health is my WEALTH.

Being transformed and losing over 200 pounds has changed me to the point that I AM JUST THANKFUL FOR THE OPPORTUNITY TO SAY I AM THANKFUL NOW.

We have been brain washed into thinking we should be able to eat whatever we want, whenever we want it!

Thats one reason so many people are super morbidly obese: THEY THINK ABOUT FOOD CONSTANTLY. From the second we wake up until we crash at night.... we are eating and thinking about what we want to eat NEXT! Our next big opportunity to EAT, AND CONSUME, AND DEVOUR SOMETHING.

Repeat. Repeat. REPEAT.

Once we Humans see that we are all connected, we start to see what's important and its not our lack of food..... or money.... its our lack of compassion, love, time and peace that deprives us.

People are starving to death and they're OBESE.

Once we see that the kind of Cars, homes and fancy Cell phones we have, and the size of our flat screens TV's do not define us..... its our hearts..... our ability to forgive, our ability to touch the lives of others, and share our loaves and fish with our neighbors that matters.

We are all so close to starvation..... without The Living Bread.
    We are all so close to dying of thirst...... without The Living Water.

Unless we stop eating our seed.... and get it into good, fertile ground.... so we can have The Harvest God delights in we will forever be hungry, bankrupt, poverty stricken, empty and ignorant.

Its sad to say - many of us are alone in a room with many, many people...... and we will remain that way all our days unless we awaken to He that never sleeps.

God.