Childhood Obesity= CHILD ABUSE

Options

Replies

• nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    hF078B0E5

Wait a second? I'm to blame for my fat cat? What do you think I do, hold her down and shove kibble in her mouth?

You know when she got fat? When I took her in, spayed her and forced her into a sedentary indoor lifestyle. Lack of activity kills, but there is no way I could replicate the exercise she got outdoors.

Extremely simple solution. Feed the cat less food. If its fat, its overeating. As the one providing the food, yes, its absolutely on you.

I hoped the guy who was helping by pointing out irony yesterday would need to step in... Except. No.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    OP must not have children. Otherwise she would not suggest having children taken from their family for being overweight.

I have a friend with 3 daughters and everyone in their family is overweight. My son is 6, pretty well filled out and weighs less than 50 lbs. They have a 7 or 8 year old who is close to 100 pounds. Everyone in that family is obese because they overeat. It pisses me off that they let their children get that way but they are still loving, supporting parents. Do they deserve to have their children taken? No. Are they potentially creating major struggles in their children's lives by teaching them unhealthy lifestyles? Yes.

OP does not have children - she said so in a previous thread she made criticising recipes on Facebook.
  • fullersun35
    fullersun35 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    OP must not have children. Otherwise she would not suggest having children taken from their family for being overweight.

She is just really pissed off at her parents. This isn't the first post like this.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    hF078B0E5

Wait a second? I'm to blame for my fat cat? What do you think I do, hold her down and shove kibble in her mouth?

You know when she got fat? When I took her in, spayed her and forced her into a sedentary indoor lifestyle. Lack of activity kills, but there is no way I could replicate the exercise she got outdoors.

Extremely simple solution. Feed the cat less food. If its fat, its overeating. As the one providing the food, yes, its absolutely on you.

Have you ever tried that with a cat? Do you know what happens? The cat sleeps more. You can feed them the most ridiculously small amounts of food and they will be damned if they lose any weight. They will eat the tomatoes on the counters first. They will poop in your bed.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options

+1
    There's a reason there are recommended amounts on the package. And if that's too much, decrease it. No offense, and kudos to you for taking her in and taking good care of her!. It's just that you can also help her to lose weight. :flowerforyou:
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    hF078B0E5

I have a spayed and a neutered cat... and they aren't overweight... why because I provide places for them to jump and climb (I allow my tabby on the refrigerator and he commonly jumps to the highest point in the room... and I don't give them more than then recommended amount of food for the day... sometimes less if our "fat" calico has been into the dog food again... who does get more food than he can eat, simply because that dog is a sheltie and he has the energy of a chihuahua...
  • Rainboots80
    Rainboots80 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have 4 children and I agree it is the parents responsibility to teach their children how to eat and to get them active. I also think schools fail them in the exercise. Gym is only 2 days a week and they only get one 15 minute recess daily. I think an hour of physical activity should be required every day of school.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Let's see ... obesity is an "illness." The government knows better than you how to parent your children. And if you "can't" afford "healthy" food, that's also a fault with "the system," and is yet another problem we should ask the government to solve.

Wow. The Nanny State has caught you hook, line, and sinker.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I hate the misuse of the word "abuse"

it's like some people think that there are only two categories "good parenting" and "abuse" - i.e. more of the dichotomous thinking that seems to be so prevalent nowadays

parenting is on a scale, from excellent, to bad, with abuse at the very end of the bad end of the range. Most people who overfeed their kids are not being abusive, they;'re caring, attentive parents, who are giving their kids too much food, or not giving them enough opportunities to do physical activity. If those parents are going to be categorised as abusive, then what about the parents who don't check if their kids have done their homework, so the kid gets a detention the next day, or gets low grades when they should have got higher grades... is that abuse too? I mean seriously, I know you have to draw the line somewhere, but there's no such thing as a perfect parent (the scale I mentioned at the start of this paragraph starts at excellent) and some parents are better informed, better organised, better at guiding their kids and all that than others... but that doesn't make less good parents abusive.

To be honest I think it's insulting to people who have lived through child abuse for relatively trivial things to be classed as abuse. And yes I know childhood obesity itself is not a trivial issue, but overfeeding kids and failing to give them enough opportunities to do physical activity are not the result of parents not giving a damn about their kids or deliberately harming their kids. If anything, these mistakes come from love (too much food, well you feed kids because you don't want them to be hungry and you want to give them treats..... lack of opportunity to exercise, a lot of parents have exaggerated ideas about dangers to kids to they keep them indoors where it's safe, plus their kids want all this technology that keeps them on their backside staring at a screen, and they love their kids and want them to have nice things). They're actually quite common errors, and also bear in mind this is the inevitable result of modern society where we can get all the things we want delivered to our door and we don't actually have to do any physical activity any more... childhood obesity is part of a much wider social problem, in that we've become a society of lazy fat-arses. Even lots of people who don't look fat have too high a body fat percentage, so that comment about our society doesn't just apply to people who look obese - it applies to everyone who's sedentary no matter what actual size they are. Childhood obesity is because of this.

We live in a society where it takes effort to not be fat, and the sooner people accept that, the sooner they're going to start making that effort. And with kids the emphasis IMO should be on encouraging physical activity rather than trying to control what they eat, which can easily cause kids to have a bad relationship with food that makes obesity even harder to fight. Of course parents should provide healthy meals and limit high calorie snacks, but IMO the main emphasis needs to be on encouraging physical activity. And not just to stay thin because being sedentary is unhealthy for a whole lot of different reasons, not just increasing the risk of becoming obese.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I disagree with you on this, but that's just me. I don't think someone should have their kid taken away and put into foster care just because they're fat.

I agree that it can be child abuse, but also agree that removing the child from the home would be a horrible solution. Luckily, that is not the only option.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-25299764

In October 2012 the girl's weight rose to 10st 10lbs (67.5kg), but had fallen to 7st 7lbs (49kg) by August 2013 while she was in care.

This child was five.

Sometimes taking them away is the right decision and in this case she lost weigh - though at that weight she is still twice what she should weight.

While I doubt most cases are child abuse some are. And it's ridiculous to say otherwise.
  • Rainboots80
    Rainboots80 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    As for fat cats I actually put my cat on a diet for a month and he gained 2 pounds! He gets no treats and no table scraps so I have no idea how he is gaining. He is indoor only cat. Went from 13-15 pounds
  • Abi198111
    Abi198111 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    It's not always the parents' fault... My daughter is 9 and loves to eat. She's been putting weight on over the last 6 months or so and is overweight. When we go shopping, I try to educate her about food and give her healthy alternatives to sweets and 'junk' food. I ensure she has fresh fruit and vegetables to snack on and encourage her to think about why she's eating (for instance, she'll say "I'm bored, can I have an ice cream?"). I tell her how the body works, that food is energy and if we don't use all the energy our bodies keep it as fat for another time. I don't restrict her from having treats, but they are just that, treats; not an everyday occurrence. However, she'll trade lunches with kids at school and will come home with chocolate wrappers in her pockets or if she has pocket money she'll go to the shops with her brothers and spend it all on crisps, fizzy drinks, sweets... I do my best to ensure that she gets a healthy, varied diet but I feel like she is sabotaging my efforts and ultimately herself. I don't want to make such a big deal of it that she develops an eating disorder or a dysfunctional relationship with food but I feel I can't just leave her to her own devices. I was a chubby teen and I was miserable. I believe I set a good example now with my eating habits and I get plenty of exercise and encourage her to do the same but I'm acutely aware that there's a fine line between encouraging someone to be healthy and forcing them into doing something they don't want and potentially causing a bigger problem further down the line.

I'm pretty stumped as to what to do...

P.S. My daughter may only be 9 1/2 but she is very forward and switched on, for those that may think she's unable to understand what I'm trying to teach her. She has started going through puberty already so I'm sure this is a contributing factor to her weight gain.
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Yes, childhood obesity is running rampant but I don't believe it should be labeled as "child abuse". I really hate that term because everyone throws it around these days for multitudes of situations that are not close to abuse. Abuse is something that someone does to another with full knowledge of their actions and are trying to purposefully inflict pain or injury on a regular basis.

Most of the time a child is obese because the parent is obese and do not have the knowledge of how to eat properly. What needs to happen is EDUCATION. I don't have kids so I don't know the curiculum in schools but if there are not mandatory nutritional classes throughout a childs education there needs to be. One class in junior high doesn't cut it either. It needs to be on a regular basis throughout a childs school life. This is the only way that this cycle of bad eating habits is going to end.

This I agree with.

The mentality that crappy boxed/prepackaged food is cheaper is totally idiotic. On a calories per dollar basis, the basic staples found at any supermarket are actually far cheaper than the convenience foods, and perfectly healthy and wholesome. Its a matter of preferring foods that require very little effort, as opposed to having to spend a minimal amount of time cooking and planning ahead, and which are supercharged on fatty/salty/sweet flavors, as opposed to tasting like real food is supposed to taste.

ITS CHEAPER TO EAT HEALTHY! But it probably doesn't result in food that tastes like a salt lick and look like a day-glo orange traffic cone, and it will require a little bit of time, even if doing nothing more complicated than loading up a crock pot in the morning.
  • BoatsnHose
    BoatsnHose Posts: 120 Member
    Options

Answer one question for me: Do you have children?

That is irrelevant to the point OP is trying to make.

"You don't have kids, so your opinion is invalid" is a tired and flawed argument.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    As for fat cats I actually put my cat on a diet for a month and he gained 2 pounds! He gets no treats and no table scraps so I have no idea how he is gaining. He is indoor only cat. Went from 13-15 pounds

CATS DO NOT OBEY. THEY DON'T OBEY ANYTHING. INCLUDING THE LAWS OF PHYSICS.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    zombieland-rule-1.jpg

One of my all time favorite movies.
  • clarehd
    clarehd Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    How about the fact that children don't play outside anymore? There is no more mandatory PE in school? Video games, television and iphones have taken over our lives and caused us to lead sedentary lives? How about the super size menus and just eating out in general? How about stress and boredom? Lack of self-control? Easy to blame parents, but there are a lot of factors that go into obesity.
  • Cookieman123
    Cookieman123 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It's not my mother's fault I grew up fat. It's my fault, even as a child I manipulated my mother to buy my love with take out food and gifts by being an emotional little brat with daddy issues.

These kinds of things really undermine the phrase child abuse. Sort of like certain things in today's culture really undermine the word rape. Lets all just chalk it up and lose the weight.
This discussion has been closed.