Replies

• JTUSAFRet
    JTUSAFRet Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    431824_916890593689_554909342_n_zps78943c04.jpg
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options

Children have mind's of their own. Raising them is not nearly as easy as non-parents sometimes think it is. Especially when they are about 21 and lack life experience.

If they're 21 and still eating your food...better to think of them as annoying roommates than someone to be "raised". That ship has already sailed.

She meant that the non-parent in this case is 21 and lacks life experience
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:

I think we should start licensing pregnancy, so only the people who can afford children and who are physically fit can reproduce.

And you shouldn't have pets if you can't afford them either. I see homeless people in my town that have "will work for food" signs AND a dog on a leash. I always wonder "why did you think you should bring a dog into this situation?"

I know this is way far off topic, sorry.

What if the dog was a stray? Isn't it better that it has a human to watch out for him if he's already IN that situation? Would it be better for him to be killed at a shelter?

Do you think it might be safer for the human to sleep outdoors if they have the protection of a dog? Possibly they deserve the companionship of somebody who isn't just trying to use them?
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options

How many kids do you have exactly?

Irrelevant. And a fallacious non-argument.

Says every person who has never had a kid.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    How about the fact that children don't play outside anymore? There is no more mandatory PE in school? Video games, television and iphones have taken over our lives and caused us to lead sedentary lives? How about the super size menus and just eating out in general? How about stress and boredom? Lack of self-control? Easy to blame parents, but there are a lot of factors that go into obesity.

In my old neighborhood the kids actually did play outside. Constantly, loudly and with gusto. Seriously, these kids would be out until like 10 pm. I often wondered where were all these video games and activities that were keeping the kids from being outside (for the record, this was a suburb, not a city).

I bring this up for two reasons. 1) To reassure people that somewhere in New England kids are still playing outside and 2) Many of the kids still managed to be fat.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    431824_916890593689_554909342_n_zps78943c04.jpg

Ah. Those poor genetic-hunger dogs.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    tumblr_n4xywpwXoB1qfi7p6o1_250.gif
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

Children have mind's of their own. Raising them is not nearly as easy as non-parents sometimes think it is. Especially when they are about 21 and lack life experience.

If they're 21 and still eating your food...better to think of them as annoying roommates than someone to be "raised". That ship has already sailed.

What are you even talking about?

I am talking about 21 non-parents (OP) posting trash like this.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    In to read later...........damn work gets in the way!
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    ga861130.gif
  • likitisplit
    Options

What are you even talking about?

I am talking about 21 non-parents (OP) posting trash like this.

I have enough friends who are trying to steer their kids through the shoals of young-adulthood. It takes a refined level of parenting ability. DO NOT underestimate what your parents brought to the situation.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Our society is JUST as much to blame because we let capitalism do this to us as much as anything else.

^^this :sad: :explode: :grumble:
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

Definitely a non-parent.

I'm a parent, I agree with him. My job right now is to teach my kids the things I want them to remember when they are grown ups. Personal responsibility, hard work, kindness, integrity, passion. At 21, I was already who I was going to be, based on what my parents had already taught me. You can't reshape a human being that you've spent the past 21 years shaping. They will change, but it will be on their own time, in their own way. That's part of growing up.
  • rachael726
    rachael726 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Obviously, I am overweight and working towards a healthier version of myself. I have 2 children, a set of 10 year old twins. My daughter is curvy, has muscle and average weight for her age/height. My son on the other hand, is ranking high in the height/weight ratio. He plays soccer and is extremely active. Since I started my journey, I don't buy all the crap I used to. I have significantly cut back on the junk and make sure there are only healthy foods in the house. He is still overweight. I have recently decided that I am going to have him walk/jog with me on some of my races. I want to make this fun for him to help lose his belly. This is really the only place that he has a lot of "fat" stored. His legs are muscle from playing soccer- every season, since the age of 5. My family and his dads family are heavy. There aren't alof of "little" people on either side.

I would be devastated if someone, like to the OP, and others, would come into my home and label me as a child abuser. As others have said, it's not so cut and dry. I am trying to help my son slim down. I don't want him to be bigger than most kids and get made fun of. No way!

It's very frustrating getting the opinion of people that don't even have children. You have no idea what it's like or how you yourself would react if you had a child that was overweight/obese. Sometimes it's more than just food. There are other factors that come into play. Maybe the child has a thyroid issue or hormones, etc.

I know the OP was just stating an opinion, but its still frustrating.
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options

Ahh, my bad.

You don't need a lot of life experience to read a simple book on nutrition and how to cook wholesome and inexpensive food, however. Its an extremely basic skill to learn, not something to be ignorant of because of whatever age. Read a book.

God we need to stop making excuses for not being bothered to learn how to FEED OURSELVES properly! Its not like it requires a massive school curriculum, or even a class. Just google and some common sense and a basic desire to take better care of oneself and family.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    OP has started two "blame the parents" threads and one "mean people" thread in under 12 hours. She seems genuine, if misguided, but at this point I'm starting to smell troll.

Also, in!
    Have you ever tried that with a cat? Do you know what happens? The cat sleeps more. You can feed them the most ridiculously small amounts of food and they will be damned if they lose any weight. They will eat the tomatoes on the counters first. They will poop in your bed.
    I would have done the same if my parents tried to put me on a diet.
    All of it.

Sad fact that, having two preschoolers, I totally believe that you would have pooped on their bed. Or, in their closet.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

I did, but when you don't a legit point, all you can do is remove context and hope nobody notices.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Ahh, my bad.

You don't need a lot of life experience to read a simple book on nutrition and how to cook wholesome and inexpensive food, however. Its an extremely basic skill to learn, not something to be ignorant of because of whatever age. Read a book.

God we need to stop making excuses for not being bothered to learn how to FEED OURSELVES properly! Its not like it requires a massive school curriculum, or even a class. Just google and some common sense and a basic desire to take better care of oneself and family.

And time. And energy.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I am trying to figure out why the OP likes to start these sh**storm threads that will certainly create drama.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:

I think we should start licensing pregnancy, so only the people who can afford children and who are physically fit can reproduce.

And you shouldn't have pets if you can't afford them either. I see homeless people in my town that have "will work for food" signs AND a dog on a leash. I always wonder "why did you think you should bring a dog into this situation?"

I know this is way far off topic, sorry.

Usually because they didn't choose to be homeless and owned the dog before they became homeless and knew that the dog was attached to them and wouldn't be able to understand why their owner who loved them all this time would just abandon them in a kennels.... plus the fact that kennels have a hard time rehoming dogs so there'd be a risk that the dog would be put down if a new home isn't found within a certain time. So instead, when they reluctantly turn to sleeping on the streets because they have nowhere else to go, they take their dog with them.

Why are these things so hard for people to understand? Or did you think that homelessness is a lifestyle choice?
This discussion has been closed.