Why am I always hungry.. :(

Options
I drink a smoothie in the mornings that contains 9 grams of protein and a lot of vitamins and minerals, then an hour later I am hungry again... it seems no matter what I eat I am always hungry within an hour afterwards. Am I just not normal or is it just in my head? Does anyone else get like this?

Replies

• Cookieman123
    Cookieman123 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    What do you do during that hour after the smoothie? When I'm bored I always get hungry.
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    If I had a smoothie for breakfast I'd get hungry pretty fast, too. A lot of people digest fruit pretty quickly, and 9g of protein, really isn't a ton of protein.

If you opened up your diary, we could probably help you more than just guessing in the dark.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    First thing to do is to make sure your calorie goals are set appropriately for your size and activity level. Way too many people have their goals set too low and then wonder why their bodies are trying to tell them something.

Look for foods with lots of protein, fat, and fiber in them. These help keep us fuller and more satisfied longer. 9 grams of protein really isn't a lot. I tend to eat closer to 20-30 grams for breakfast to keep me full.

Drink plenty of fluids. Some people really do confuse thirst for hunger.

Play around with your meal timings. Some people do really well on 6 small meals a day and others do better on 2-3 larger meals. Meal timing/eating more frequently/eating or skipping breakfast won't affect your weight loss. It may affect your hunger levels, mood, gym performance, concentration, etc. Don't be afraid to play around and find what works for you.
  • SLMartucci
    SLMartucci Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    First, make sure you're eating enough throughout the entire day.. Drink a lot of water, it helps with satiety. Also, add some cococnut oil or avocado to your shake in the morning. Fat helps a TON with staying full.
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Smoothie would not fill me up in the morning (especially with only 9g of protein).

My breakfast is two slices of whole wheat toast with pb, banana, cacao nibs, a protein shake (almond milk+whey), and greek yogurt with granola. Approximate totals are 836cals, 37g of protein.

My diary is open if you'd like to take a look at it :D
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    thatonegirlwiththestuff Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    First thing to do is to make sure your calorie goals are set appropriately for your size and activity level. Way too many people have their goals set too low and then wonder why their bodies are trying to tell them something.

Look for foods with lots of protein, fat, and fiber in them. These help keep us fuller and more satisfied longer. 9 grams of protein really isn't a lot. I tend to eat closer to 20-30 grams for breakfast to keep me full.

Drink plenty of fluids. Some people really do confuse thirst for hunger.

Play around with your meal timings. Some people do really well on 6 small meals a day and others do better on 2-3 larger meals. Meal timing/eating more frequently/eating or skipping breakfast won't affect your weight loss. It may affect your hunger levels, mood, gym performance, concentration, etc. Don't be afraid to play around and find what works for you.

+1. I think a lot of people try to fit the standard mold of 6-7 small meals a day; doing this method, I am starving. I do substantially better on larger meals, less frequently. And some of us do need more caloric intake than others. It's all about fine tuning.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Either drink a real protein shake (20+ grams per serving) to see if that helps, or eat actual food. I find that food helps cure hunger more than drinks do.
  • tiffanyguada
    Options
    I opened my diary... I am new on here so sorry for lack of info. I update my dairy in the mornings for my whole day so that way when I get home I can focus on my home duties. During the hours in the morning I am at work at a desk sitting. When I get home I am always on the go and then at 5:30-7:00 I do my speed walking then right before bed/shower I do my strengthening exercises. Any advice?
  • marjoleina
    marjoleina Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Hi there ~ You might want to make your own smoothie and use fesh fruit, vegs, and protein powder, and water or milk or whatever liquid. I think the smoothie you currently use does not have a lot of calories and 9 grams of protein is not a lot. If you are hungry, eat something!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I opened my diary... I am new on here so sorry for lack of info. I update my dairy in the mornings for my whole day so that way when I get home I can focus on my home duties. During the hours in the morning I am at work at a desk sitting. When I get home I am always on the go and then at 5:30-7:00 I do my speed walking then right before bed/shower I do my strengthening exercises. Any advice?

Since you only have two days logged in the past two months it's tough to give advice. If today is a good indicator of your usual eating habits then I might suggest you start using some of your exercise calories for bigger meals.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs & toast for about 23g of protein, or oatmeal with yogurt, fruit & nuts for around 29g - a 9g of protein smoothie would not last with me either!

Protein and plenty of healthy fats are very satiating and keep you feeling full longer. Also as others have said, make sure you're getting enough calories. Unless you are a very tiny person, 1200 likely is too low for you.
  • laurenawolf
    laurenawolf Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    You're probably bored. That's why you're so hungry.

If you're trying to lose weight, you will be hungry. But there is a difference between real hunger, and "I am so bored, pizza sounds really good" hunger.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    9 grams of protien is not a lot.

My cheese I had for lunch has more protien than that....

my smoothie for breakfast has at least 36 grams of protien...powder/shake etc. try mixing in some extra protien even if it's just yogurt.
  • AmyRhubarb
    Options
    I had 3 eggs, a slice of sourdough toast with butter, and black coffee for breakfast for fewer calories than your smoothie and Snickers bar, and almost triple the protein.
  • tiffanyguada
    Options
    Thank you guys! I am going to finish up the rest of the smoothies that I bought, but I will add something else to it like an egg or oatmeal. I will try to make my own smoothies as well I might have some luck. :)
  • AmyRhubarb
    Options
    If you're trying to lose weight, you will be hungry.
    :noway:

Disagree! I have had my best success eating the PROPER number of calories for my stats and activity level and the only time I am hungry is when it's meal time! Losing weight does not mean being hungry all the time.
  • mdavis0621
    mdavis0621 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love smoothies for breakfast and I am full after my morning smoothie. I add a TBS of flaxseed (Yay Vitamix) protein powder, and whatever frozen fruit I happen to have on hand (and sometimes baby carrots or spinach). Before my morning smoothie I have 16 oz of water. I think it is a combination of things. I also like to make a really thick smoothie I believe it helps.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Without knowing your height/weight, it's kind of hard telling, but odds are, you set too much of a deficit for only having 33lbs to lose. Usually, 1,200 calories is given to people who set their goal at 2lb/week, which is usually too much for anyone looking to lose less than 50-75lb. Switch it to .5-1lb/week to give yourself more food, which will probably go a long way.

Additionally, I'm of the opinion that MFP's default macro settings are kind of crap, with the protein and fat running low and carbs running high for most people. You want to try to get about .8g/lb bodyweight in protein, and at least .35g/lb bodyweight in fat (fat is required for proper hormone and cell function, and vitamin absorption). You can then fill in the carbs and fat however you see fit. If you're feeling hungry constantly despite meeting your calorie goals, try dropping your carbs and raising fats. If you're having trouble getting enough food, try dropping fats and raising carbs.

Whatever changes you make, though, allow for at least two weeks (ideally a month) before you give up on it. It takes some time for the body to adjust to new routines.

Also, check out the stickies. There's a ton of good info in them.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I drink a smoothie in the mornings that contains 9 grams of protein and a lot of vitamins and minerals, then an hour later I am hungry again... it seems no matter what I eat I am always hungry within an hour afterwards. Am I just not normal or is it just in my head? Does anyone else get like this?

9g of protein isn't much (IMO) - not enough to keep you full for long. My protein powder has 25g.
  • trublutopaz
    trublutopaz Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Try something like scrambled eggs or an omelette instead. The omelette is more filling and you can add mushrooms, veggies to get those in your diet. Also, to keep the calorie count down, mix half and half whole egg with packaged egg whites. The taste is the same, but the calories are less. I like smoothies as well, but I have similar results.