Please give me your top 5 ways to increase calories

Options
2»

Replies

• GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky or beef sticks. Great snack, high in protein, not a lot of sugar.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Tons' of calories with Chicken Tigh
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Full fat dairy - milk, cheese, yogurt
    Olives (but high in sodium if you are watching that)
    Hummus

Fattier cuts of meat (I prefer chicken thighs to chicken breast and that adds a few extra calories per 100g)

Don't skip real butter, regular mayo (if you like it), dressings, and any extras that people usually cut back on.

The best bump for your caloric needs will come from fat (obviously) but I usually just add a snack or two into my day when I increase calories without going too crazy. My diary is open if you are willing to dig a little. I've been on roughly 2k for the past two weeks, but was at 2300 before that since I had increased activity levels. That would give a good example of what I added.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    What's granola? Is it like muesli or more like flapjack?

Short on nutrients? Thank you Sailor! This is what I'm struggling to explain. He doesn't want any more sugar and we don't drink alcohol. So, presume the rest is what we're after.

Beef jerky appears to be a salty, novelty snack or dog food.
  • Zoe_lifts
    Zoe_lifts Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    dark chocolate with nuts in it :)
  • logg1e
    Options
    Thank you jstout, I will take you up on that offer.

I have suggested he add more mayo or houmous to his salads and wraps.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Doritos or any type of chips are high in calories!

And they taste good! Win Win
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be overly concerned about sugar. It's more important to get enough calories imo, unless he's got a medical condition in which case whatever his doctor thinks.

As you can tell, fat is your best bet. That's because it has 9 calories per gram instead of 4 like protein and carbs.

Cream cheese, butter, cheese, fattier cuts of meat like chicken thighs or roast, potatoes, olives, oils.

Oh and avocado. :wink: Kidding.
  • logg1e
    Options
    Crisps are also high in salt and sugar and little else.
  • logg1e
    Options
    I'm adding jacket potatoes to the List Of Success.

With baked beans.
  • JassiBear
    JassiBear Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Easy.... sauce everything......... butter sauce on veggies or olive oil dressing................. ranch dressing......cheese-based sauces......cream-based sauces.. just eat with sauces and you don't have to really worry about eating a whole lot more food just to get some calories. 2 tbsp of ranch dressing is usually 120 calories about and that's a good bump.
  • gakette420
    gakette420 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I make my own trail mix with Quaker simply granola cereals, different kinds of nuts and seeds, and Brookside chocolates. I never make the same mix twice so it doesn't get boring. HTH
  • zenalasca
    zenalasca Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Oils and fats when added to food can actually make you eat less because it is more filling. For example, roast chicken and a bowl of vegetables cooked to crispiness in half an inch of olive oil made me feel so full I literally sat there for ages feeling extremely ill and had to throw it all up (ever since I've been mindful to not eat too much of one type of food in succession, even if I took breaks in between).

When I lived with my dad we basically ate all wholefoods, and since then I have realized that the following are the most calorie-giving:

Tahini (I loved it with honey, but I also drained out the oil and could eat a quarter of a 500 g jar at once)
    Craisins (don't make you very full but are very high in calories -- used to take them by the handful)
    Bowls of crumbled up rice cakes or any healthy cereal I guess with lots of dried fruits, seeds, nuts, anything you want.

Experiment with various foods to see what works best. This is what I had to do to learn what was calorie efficient TT
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    What's granola? Is it like muesli or more like flapjack?

Short on nutrients? Thank you Sailor! This is what I'm struggling to explain. He doesn't want any more sugar and we don't drink alcohol. So, presume the rest is what we're after.

Beef jerky appears to be a salty, novelty snack or dog food.

Granola is a delicious snack food made with oats, nuts, and some kind of sugar, honey, or syrup. Some people use it as a yogurt topping but I prefer to just eat it by the handful.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/granola-recipe.html

http://www.chow.com/recipes/30062-basic-granola
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Especially for someone who has a tendency to eat too much sugar (from fruit, sweets, jellies, ice cream etc) and who doesn't like avocados or peanut butter.

Nuts
    peanut butter
    full fat cheeses
    olive oil
    avocados

Ditch the 'lite' and fat free versions of foods and opt for full fat.
  • mondvay
    mondvay Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    http://i.imgur.com/jcjTX.jpg
    You could also drink a glass of full fat milk with every meal. If you're only looking to up your calories without any specifics I'd say it would be easier to drink them than to eat them
  • logg1e
    Options
    He doesn't eat "lite" versions of anything. Even avocado.
  • logg1e
    Options
    That looks gorgeous Mondvay!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Cheese/whole milk/cream/butter
    Brown rice/lentils/beans
    Bread
    Cashews/almonds

Frankly, dropping milk, cheese, and bread and cutting down on nuts was all I needed to do to drop my weight. If I need calories, those are my go to guys.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    What are your goals?