Situations where you made desperate food choices

Options
yungibear
yungibear Posts: 138 Member
Hi everyone! I was just reflecting on my weight-loss journey and I remembered a very silly situation I was in.

First, some background about myself: I was a 4th-year university student when this happened. I was about to quit my job in 2 months and I was living as frugally as I could. I worked during the day and went straight to school at night. If you can understand this lifestyle, it was very hard to plan meals and food for the entire day. I felt kind of like a backpacker because I would have a full bag of food to keep my body properly fueled throughout the whole day.

One day, I ate through all my food a little faster than normal and I got hungry while I was at school. I knew I wouldn't make it through my lecture so I was desperate to find some food. Unfortunately, I didn't really have that much money, so I could only afford a $2.00-or-under snack. On top of that, I didn't have too many calories to play with, since I worked through all my food earlier in the day. The student union's idea of "cheap" substantial, low-calorie food were $8.00 salads, so that was out of the question.

I ended up walking 3 blocks to the nearest grocery market, finding a sale on strawberries, washed them at a drinking fountain across the hallway from my classroom, and noshing on strawberries straight out of the box in the middle of class. I didn't really care what others thought about me, but it must've been a funny sight, because my desk was all soggy from the water dripping from the box (which was full of those ventilation holes).

Anyway, does anyone else have a silly story to share about their food choices?

Replies

• Kitteneyes01
    Kitteneyes01 Posts: 125
    Options
    I was on the Greyhound bus on my way to my sister's. (It's a 6 hour trip.) I normally don't take food with me because I know we stop at a shop at lunch time. I was particularly hungry on this day, and had already fantasized about the sandwhich and salad I was going to get. Only this time, they stopped at a different shop! No sandwiches, no salads, no fruits.....what did they have? Chips, candy, coffee, donuts, water and soda. I ended up buying a 67oz water and downing the whole thing lol. Good thing they had a bathroom aboard the bus. :bigsmile:
  • kirili3
    kirili3 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat between meals and it's great but sometimes the cravings hit... one afternoon, hit with a mad cheddar craving but determined to only drink between meals, I tried to invent the Hot Cheese.

Mission was impossible, sadly.
  • yungibear
    yungibear Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    :laugh:

Oh goodness, I can definitely relate to the liquid substitutions! I've never heard of anyone trying to make a liquid cheese drink before, though!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I talked to a Vietnam POW when I was in college. He told me that they would shift through their excrement to get little bits of undigested rice.

Perspective.

Barely related note: He was also not a fan of Jane Fonda.
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I like that you went and got strawberries!

I've had this happen at work and since I have a pretty limited diet, there is nothing I can eat here if I didn't pack it (except the lays potato chips, but I'm not a fan). So, I just sit there and embrace the hangryness. I fantasize about the food I could be eating for an hour or so, and then convince myself that I need to wait until I get home (while pouting silently to myself). It usually does pass...takes about 3 hours...