kale chips

Options
huckabeebug
huckabeebug Posts: 41 Member
I see lots of posts about Kale chips. How do you make these?

Replies

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/baked-kale-chips/

cover the 'chip' with the oil so the edges do not burn. . . enjoy!
  • KTRXS
    KTRXS Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    1/2 pound kale
    1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
    1 teaspoon kosher salt

take the stems off and put the kale into a mixing bowl. Then pour in olive oil and toss until it's coated evenly then the salt and then toss again. Put it on a baking sheet and heat at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until browned.

Just made these yesterday!
  • huckabeebug
    Options
    Thanks Ladies
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Ive heard its nice with parmesan on it. I bought some kale this week but have not yet been brave enough to try make it.
  • mcates5
    mcates5 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just spraying the baking sheet with nonstick olive oil spray, spreading the leaves, and then spraying the top with olive oil spray should be enough. I cook mine 300 degrees for 20 minutes.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I also like to use a little lemon juice and different seasonings to mix it up (sumac, cayenne). Watch the salt because kale already has a good amount of sodium.
    If you have a dehydrator, I much prefer it. Really easy and fast and no risk of burning.
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I get a bundle of kale, break the leaves from the stems into pieces, but NOT tiny, small pieces. Then wash them and dry them thoroughly (this is soooo important!!). Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and lay the kale leaves in a single layer on it.

After if you have, put olive oil into a spray bottle and spray them lightly. I use a sea salt/garlic grinder and grind that over the kale and I also sprinkle a little chipotle powder for a lil spicy zing...bake at 425 for 7-10 minutes or longer depending on your desired doneness,

OMG these things are heavenly and I can eat a whole bunch. So awesome!!
  • tuckeychicken
    tuckeychicken Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Sounds good and healthy, but how many calories carbs ...? Never had these before, but I will give them a try. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
  • huckabeebug
    Options
    I used the first recipe. (all recipes) I would next time use a smidge less olive oil or use more kale. It was a tad bit oily for me. Although only 1 cup was around 58 calories. Yipee!!!! Also the boyfriend loved them, another plus!
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    I haven't been called a lady in over a week. Thanks!
  • tgraves9875
    tgraves9875 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    1/2 pound kale
    1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
    1 teaspoon kosher salt

take the stems off and put the kale into a mixing bowl. Then pour in olive oil and toss until it's coated evenly then the salt and then toss again. Put it on a baking sheet and heat at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until browned.

Just made these yesterday!
  • tgraves9875
    tgraves9875 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    They're good if you use cooking spray too instead of oil:)
  • huckabeebug
    Options
    Sorry about that! I wasn't paying attention when i said that.
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    Sorry about that! I wasn't paying attention when i said that.

Honestly, made my day! Hope you enjoyed the chips!
  • queensandria
    Options
    When i make kale chips for the family i usually coat the deveined kale pieces in coconut oil and Italian herbs. 325°F for 15 min or so then pull them out and sprinkle a light coating of garlic powder. Coconut oil (at least this processed one xD) has a lower smoking point but crisps the kale nicely.
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Bump, never tried kale, sounds interesting.
  • chopsart
    chopsart Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I made Kale chips for the first time yesterday. I tried oil, vinegar, salt on one portion, oil, parmensan, garlic powder on another portion, oil taco seasoning on the third portion. Used my cheapo dehydrator and it took about 6 hours.

All of the chips were good! I used the packaged kale, the flat kind as opposed to the curly version,
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Bump, love kale any way I can consume it!
  • cadaver0usb0nes
    cadaver0usb0nes Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I am going to attempt to make these for this weekends camping trip I am going on. I have 2 bunches of kale, should I just use one or do you think I should use both? How many kales chips does 1 bunch of kale usually make?
  • queensandria
    Options
    One bunch of curly kale makes about 2 cookie sheets full (enough to lightly fill a quart size storage bag each sheet). It keeps well and as long as you are gentle in packing, the curly has a better mouth feel (more like popcorn than chips). Luck everyone trying them! They are a big hit when i make them!

As an alternative and addition, you can chop up some kelp and treat it the same way (if using nori, let it soften in the oil before baking). Makes a great variation!