Losing weight: the bottom line

Options

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    Lol!

Why are you so angry?

I'm not angry at all. Your rhetoric is laughable and trust me I've been laughing. You're guessing scientific information exists is as accurate as guessing I'm angry. I'm just seeing if you can actually provide one shred of scientific evidence not just logical fallacies and the "because he said so" approach.

What I referenced IS already backed by science...
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    If you were eating 500 calories a day of nutrient and protein rich food you will likely lose more weight than if you ate nothing.

Nope.

You sure like guessing at things - or at least you do a lot of it in your posting.

Hope you get better at it! :)
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    But if Lyle's statement was true then eating nothing would be the quickest way to lose weight and we know that's not true.

I still don't know what you're saying. If you can't say it in one short sentence, than you don't really understand what you are really trying to say. You have too many variables and things going on there. Simplify your argument to one simple thing. What is it that bothers you about cals in/out. At it's essential basics, it work with healthy people. Using extreme examples of starvation is taking everything way out of context.

Simplify.

What is your beef?

It's called being stunningly pedantic.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I still don't know what you're saying. If you can't say it in one short sentence, than you don't really understand what you are really trying to say.

Bingo.

Obfuscation is the last resort of the confused and bewildered.
  • JessicaCambrik
    Options
  • J72FIT
    Options
    Lol!

Why are you so angry?

I'm not angry at all. Your rhetoric is laughable and trust me I've been laughing. You're guessing scientific information exists is as accurate as guessing I'm angry. I'm just seeing if you can actually provide one shred of scientific evidence not just logical fallacies and the "because he said so" approach.

What I referenced IS already backed by science...

There's not a single scientific study in that excerpt that refutes any of my points. It's backed by science you're only guessing is there.

Question, is there a shred of common sense left in that head of yours?

Why do I have to reference science that at this point is considered common knowledge? Science that has been applied over and over with a more than sufficient amount of results?

Actual results of application are worth more than a buffet of scientific papers that at the end of the day, one way or another, will more then likely contradict one another?
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    LOL! I LOVE when people start bringing in logical fallacies. Anyway...

There is no magic. CICO *IS* that simple. What is complicated is how people screw it all up. Here is my all time favorite post on the subject (and a good blog as well):

Here is reality.

Why Am I Not Losing Weight: 11 Reasons You’re Failing To Lose Fat
    http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/
  • J72FIT
    Options
    There are no metabolic disorders that if address properly through whatever medical intervention necessary will somehow defy the laws of physiology.

QFT!
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    and here i was thinking that it would be a boring afternoon.

btente, you may be right in the fact that a nutrient rich diet will yield better results in terms of weight loss than its lower calorie counterpart, i really couldnt be arsed to do the research myself. the thing is, for most people to worry about that crap on top of properly portioning meals and adequate exercise would be too much to handle and they would get nowhere fast. the bottom line IS eat less, move more and you will lose weight. i have yet to see any study that refutes this. yes, leptin levels and hormonal imbalances may effect weight loss to some degree but not to the point of halting a 500 lb persons weightloss at a proper calorie deficit.

also what are these scientific examples you speak of? you posted a few studies which just help the point that is harder to lose weight for certain individuals, but at a calorie deficit they would still lose weight...