From 363.4 to 197.7 lbs: My One-Meal-a-Day Success Story

Replies

• arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    I'm really interested in trying this! I've been counting calories for a long time. It works, but it's so involved. Can you point me to more reading on the subject? (aside from the link in the OP which I already read)

Edit to add: the reason i want more reading is because i have an inquiring mind, not because I doubt your success. I love researching stuff!

I'm planning on posting a series of articles of my own soon, but here are some articles from around the web and a book site...

http://hubbyshome.com/486/how-to-lose-weight-fast-eating-one-meal-a-day/
    http://www.finalcall.com/artman/publish/Health_amp_Fitness_11/article_8981.shtml
    http://www.boxingscene.com/weight-loss/51634.php
    http://www.pat****son.com/blog/entry/3686912/my-one-meal-a-day-diet
    http://1maddiet.com/
    https://archive.org/details/HowToEatToLiveVol.1
    http://www.warriordiet.com/

Variations of what I did vary, although not really much at all. Bear in mind that my plan was decidedly tailored for a horribly unhealthy, severe binge-eater (hence, the one-plate rule) who can't or won't work out or eat even remotely healthy. You can streamline the plan for your personal tastes and needs.
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    but I find I get quite lightheaded if I don't have at least *something* during the day as well.

I've heard other people mention lightheadedness and I've always wondered what causes it. I've gone on both 7 and 15 day water fasts before, and not experienced any lightheadedness.

Different strokes I guess.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Bump
  • 43mmmgoody21
    43mmmgoody21 Posts: 146 Member
    I intermittent fast and love eating 2 meals a day (because i get to eat huge meals). One meal a day must simply be bliss. Glad you found a way that works for you.
  • Really inspirational and thank you so much for sharing your story. I am sure there will be a lot of people who will benefit from this eating plan, including myself. Thank you.
    For some time I have not felt at all hungry during the day time, but just ate for the sake of eating. However, I have, today, followed this same eating plan and found it very easy not to eat until 8.00pm Felt really stuffed after a nutritious meal, but a couple of hours later had 2 small chocolate brownies with coffee. Probably, my total calorie intake for the day was about 1200 calories. I am sure this is the right diet plan for me, as it gives one the freedom to eat what I want.
    Just one last question. Obviously, you are drinking during the daytime. Do you drink water only or drinking other low calorie drinks as well?
  • arguablysamson
    Really inspirational and thank you so much for sharing your story. I am sure there will be a lot of people who will benefit from this eating plan, including myself. Thank you.
    For some time I have not felt at all hungry during the day time, but just ate for the sake of eating. However, I have, today, followed this same eating plan and found it very easy not to eat until 8.00pm Felt really stuffed after a nutritious meal, but a couple of hours later had 2 small chocolate brownies with coffee. Probably, my total calorie intake for the day was about 1200 calories. I am sure this is the right diet plan for me, as it gives one the freedom to eat what I want.
    Just one last question. Obviously, you are drinking during the daytime. Do you drink water only or drinking other low calorie drinks as well?

Water, flavored water (MIO), tea with Stevia, coffee with Splenda, and diet sodas. I drank - and still drink - them as I desire.
  • arguablysamson
    Congratulations on your loss. I will however say however many meals a day makes no difference but for any newbies I would urge and caution them not eat such low calories as you did. A 6'4 inch man eating what you did you basically starved yourself and would have lost large amounts of muscle mass (which in reality you want to keep)

You really do not need to do that to lose weight you can eat a reasonable amount and still lose weight and. Just because you need to lose weight does not mean you need to suffer.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=guide+to+sexy+pants

Congratulations again

Dunno why so many think that OMAD is torture. It's not, although I did do it too strictly at first. And depending on how strictly you do any program, yes, the sad fact is that you will lose muscle. I'm putting it back on even now.

One learns in time to appreciate their food, as well as to not fixate on food. OMAD makes this is easy as it can be. But you are wrong about fasting; yes, one can lose weight eating any numbers of times per day, but the effect of a fast is what gives one the edge over a diet of similar calorie reduction that doesn't involve fasting. I tried doing 3 meals back in 2011. Lost little more than water weight after almost six weeks.

And then there is the effect that eating multiple meals has on the individual. As others have pointed out, eating multiple times requires greater restraint, which increases the chances of one "falling off" that proverbial wagon. And eating more makes you want more. All in all, that is what does most people in.
  • Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Great job!! :)
  • It seems like a practical way to lose weight. I have tried this way of eating multiple times and have always failed. My hunger signals are too intense. I sure would love some hints that would make it easier. I did read the other post on how to do this, but I was wondering about the best time of day for the meal, what is good for killing hunger, etc.
  • arguablysamson
    It seems like a practical way to lose weight. I have tried this way of eating multiple times and have always failed. My hunger signals are too intense. I sure would love some hints that would make it easier. I did read the other post on how to do this, but I was wondering about the best time of day for the meal, what is good for killing hunger, etc.

Once you decide that it is time to lose a serious amount of weight, you put aside excuses and juvenile thinking and realize it is time to take care of what needs to be taken care of, period. You can do it, just like you can do harder things, like quitting smoking, meth, etc. It's hard, yes, but not impossible by any means. If it were easy, everyone would do it--but everyone can do it when they fully internalize the need to do so.

Tea and coffee, when used at times of hunger, are great anti-hunger beverages. They and any calorie-free drinks become meal replacements. It takes time, but you get used to the hunger and you are put back in control. Your life is happier when its pleasures are had with a necessary restraint, and that happens when you are in control. It's a life lesson, my friend.
  • I realize it's all about calories and that there is no magic here. I have been having moderate success dieting the traditional way. I only wanted to know if anything could make the one meal a day technique more tolerable. For me, "getting used" to the hunger is not my idea of a daily lifestyle change. To each his own though.
  • I realize it's all about calories and that there is no magic here. I have been having moderate success dieting the traditional way. I only wanted to know if anything could make the one meal a day technique more tolerable. For me, "getting used" to the hunger is not my idea of a daily lifestyle change. To each his own though.

I can't speak for anyone else, but after the first couple weeks I stopped getting hungry unless it was late and I haven't eaten dinner at my usual time... which is the same as before I started any fasting or one-meal plan. It's not like it lasts forever, it just takes a while for your body to get used to it. It's just like the opposite where I ate 6 meals/day for a while and was hungry constantly because my body was used to that.

If feeling hungry for a week or two off and on (it's not a constant) is too much - this isn't for you I suppose. That said, being hungry isn't the lifestyle change as much as getting used to any other diet for the first couple weeks. The lifestyle part is after you've made it a habit and can sustain it.
  • delazouche
    delazouche Posts: 55 Member
    Fantastic job! I ate one big meal a day for years and was slightly thinner than I am even now, but I was also a teenager/in my very early 20s/didn't have a desk job and I figure my metabolism had something to do with it. I admit I'd love it if going back to one REALLY satisfying meal a day could work for me. I went on a doctor-outlined diet of 5-6 very small meals a day about 6 months ago, and it worked, but now that I'm maintaining I wonder if I could experiment. Only thing is I'm so used to the small, frequent meals now that I think I'd overeat out of a psychological need. You're quite an inspiration though! Maybe I'll try it a day or so a week and see how I manage.
  • arguablysamson
    I realize it's all about calories and that there is no magic here. I have been having moderate success dieting the traditional way. I only wanted to know if anything could make the one meal a day technique more tolerable. For me, "getting used" to the hunger is not my idea of a daily lifestyle change. To each his own though.

I can't speak for anyone else, but after the first couple weeks I stopped getting hungry unless it was late and I haven't eaten dinner at my usual time... which is the same as before I started any fasting or one-meal plan. It's not like it lasts forever, it just takes a while for your body to get used to it. It's just like the opposite where I ate 6 meals/day for a while and was hungry constantly because my body was used to that.

If feeling hungry for a week or two off and on (it's not a constant) is too much - this isn't for you I suppose. That said, being hungry isn't the lifestyle change as much as getting used to any other diet for the first couple weeks. The lifestyle part is after you've made it a habit and can sustain it.

Couldn't have said it better! :smokin:
  • arguablysamson
    Fantastic job! I ate one big meal a day for years and was slightly thinner than I am even now, but I was also a teenager/in my very early 20s/didn't have a desk job and I figure my metabolism had something to do with it. I admit I'd love it if going back to one REALLY satisfying meal a day could work for me. I went on a doctor-outlined diet of 5-6 very small meals a day about 6 months ago, and it worked, but now that I'm maintaining I wonder if I could experiment. Only thing is I'm so used to the small, frequent meals now that I think I'd overeat out of a psychological need. You're quite an inspiration though! Maybe I'll try it a day or so a week and see how I manage.

In an effort to more easily get my daily calories, I have tried adding back another meal several days a week and I'm not liking it. I feel like I'm pigging out and my body has become so geared towards one meal that it doesn't exactly welcome multiple meals. Then again, I have found that adding a second meal about 3 hours before a hard workout can really boost energy levels. Also, on special occasions, a second meal with family or friends can mix things up quite well.
  • makingmylifebetter
    makingmylifebetter Posts: 37 Member
    Thanks for sharing your success with this. It's actually supposed to be VERY healthy to do intermittent fasting like this (long period without eating). It gives your body a chance to repair cells and such. I don't know if I could do it because I get really uncomfortable and muddy-headed if I don't eat every 3-4 hours, but maybe you're right, maybe a person can work up to it.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Just curious...youre now up to 2-3000 calories a day?
    So does that mean that youre eating regular meals now?
    If you were once eating a low 700 calories then how come you couldn't break that down to 3 meals?

This is what I had 1 day last week:
    Calories Carbs Fat Protein Fiber Sugar
    Breakfast
    Egg - 1 Medium Hard Boiled, 2 whole 128 1 8 12 0 1
    Lunch
    Light Yogurt, Lemon, 6 oz 80 12 0 7 1 9
    Banana - (Small), 6 - 6.9 inches 90 23 0 1 3 12
    Emerald - Dry Roasted Almonds - Per Nut, 10 nut 63 3 5 2 1 0
    Dinner:
    Baked Fresh - Spaghetti Squash 1 Cup, 2 cup 62 14 1 2 3 6 I replaced pasta w/ this...no it wasn't noodles but still good
    Ragu - Meat Flavored Pasta Sauce, 1 Cup 140 20 6 4 4 12
    Parmesan Cheese* - Kraft 100%, 2 tsp (5 g) 20 0 2 2 0 0
    Green Beans - Fresh, Steamed, 0.75 cup cooked 26 6 0 2 3 2

Totals 609 79 22 32 15 42
    Remaining 591 71 18 28 10 3
    Im not saying 1 way or another that your way is good or bad, Im just trying to figure out why its all calories in 1 sitting.
    As you can see, I don't get tons of calories to work with so I have to modify my food to fit into what MFP has set for me (it was slightly higher till I lost 13lbs).
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Great job! I am considering doing something like this soon.
  • arguablysamson
    Just curious...youre now up to 2-3000 calories a day?
    So does that mean that youre eating regular meals now?
    If you were once eating a low 700 calories then how come you couldn't break that down to 3 meals?

For the same reason an alcoholic can't have JUST ONE beer. And in case you haven't noticed, this entire forum is filled with people, who, if they could only moderate their portions, would not be fat and would never have become fat.

I can now control myself, but as a binge-eater and psychological follower of cravings, I was one of those people who lost all control. OMAD was what helped destroy those adulterated eating patterns and restored balance.
  • ruth87jm
    ruth87jm Posts: 10 Member
    Well done, that's such a fantastic achievement - you must feel amazing.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!