Replies

• maggdavis592
    maggdavis592 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    WOW good job!!
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Anyone still interested is more than welcome to friend me and you'll be in on the updates and have access to the main OMAD website.
  • LadyKT
    LadyKT Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Anyone still interested is more than welcome to friend me and you'll be in on the updates and have access to the main OMAD website.

Me!!!
  • nursingmommy
    nursingmommy Posts: 1 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I have studied nutrition, and I also agree that the constant eating every three hours isn't good for you.
    I have strayed from my weight loss while having kids but am trying to get back into it.
    I used to follow a similar plan , but you had two meals a day, at least 5 hours apart. And if you were really hungry for supper you would eat 1-2 pieces of fruit (but needed to be several hours before bed).
    Your stomach needs to rest from all that digesting. Then you can truly get to taking care of all that stored fat and such.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    As long as someone is getting proper nutrition and calorie intake from their one meal a day, and not purging it or spending the rest of the day on a treadmill, there is nothing wrong with the plan. It sounds crazy to the uninformed, but it's more common than you think. Its all about what fits your lifestyle. Personally, I'd lose my mind.
  • woznube7
    woznube7 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I am going to take a look at how this works. Congrats on your success. I haven't found my "niche" yet.. so I am looking for more inspiration. Thank you for sharing your story! @arguablysamson
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    I thought about this kind of diet independently and started last Sunday. I got online on Monday and discovered this discussion and a lot more on intermittent type fasting diets. Iv'e tried no dinner (breakfast and lunch ok) and no lunch (breakfast and dinner ok) diets and had success with them but they were really hard and I didn't stick with them.

I find this much easier (going on day 6 now) than the skip lunch or skip dinner diets because once I get some food in my stomach, it wants to eat and I get serious hunger pangs. I think the digestive juices get going and cause that. I can skip break and lunch way easier than eating small meals during the day for the same reason (I don't get the digestive juices flowing).

I'm allowing myself to eat as much of whatever I want from 6 to 9 at night and I feel satisfied doing that. I take a muli vitamin with minerals and take 50g of protein to make sure im getting stuff I need. I do fill up on good stuff 1st before eating any junk. Im not going to worry about calorie intake. Your stomach shrinks doing this and you can't take in that much anyways. Also I think the body can only absorb so much at a time so even if I get a lot of calories during my 3 hour eating window, I dont think I can absorb as much as if the same calories were consumed over the whole day.

Lost 7 lbs so far. 1st couple lbs are from just getting rid of stuff in guts. I will try to stick with it and report. I'm 6' 1" and started at 250lbs. I need to lose at least 50 lbs.
  • blambo61
    Options
    An addendum,

Its nice not spending lots of money on lunch, I don't get sleepy after lunchtime, and I don't eat junk snacks after lunch because a regular size lunch never feels me up. I think I have a bit more mental clarity also. I've got gout and it has gotten slightly better since doing this. I was worried it might aggravate it. I've done an easy bike ride during the fasting portion right before dinner and it didn't bother me. Thanks to original poster. Your success is motivating for me!
  • arguablysamson
    Options
    Welcome to OMAD, blambo61 (and others who are starting).

Yes, many (if not most) health problems tend to lessen or subside on OMAD. Per Dr Mark Mattson's research on intermittent fasting, the body goes into a state of repair (see the video in the OMAD forums).

I like your individualistic attitude toward owning your own routine. Nothing wrong with tailoring it to your lifestyle.

And yes, it is difficult to start with, but gets easier, as your body starts to "downsize the operation" in there and you produce less gastro-juices (I experienced those pains all too well--hope that's not TMI!)

• blambo61
    Options
    IcanIwill1 wrote: »
    One meal a day absolutely works.
    25yrs ago, I lost a significant amount of weight by eating one meal a day.
    I was in my early 20s and did not bother to cook, what I would do is stop by a restaurant on my way home, and eat whatever I wanted and went home. I also did quite a bit of walking.
    I moved to Europe and my plan went out the window, and the weight came back.

I have found out that, for me, eating sets me up to eat more.
    I could go all day without being hungry, but once I eat, my appetite seems to wake up, and demand more and more food.
    That's why I could never do that eat 6 small meals a day routine...I would inhale a whole district and its inhabitants.

Im same way. Its MUCH harder to fast only lunch (and eat breakfast) than it is to fast both breakfast and lunch. Any food in my stomach gets it going.
  • blambo61
    Options
    MKoschwitz wrote: »
    I realize it's all about calories and that there is no magic here. I have been having moderate success dieting the traditional way. I only wanted to know if anything could make the one meal a day technique more tolerable. For me, "getting used" to the hunger is not my idea of a daily lifestyle change. To each his own though.

I can't speak for anyone else, but after the first couple weeks I stopped getting hungry unless it was late and I haven't eaten dinner at my usual time... which is the same as before I started any fasting or one-meal plan. It's not like it lasts forever, it just takes a while for your body to get used to it. It's just like the opposite where I ate 6 meals/day for a while and was hungry constantly because my body was used to that.

If feeling hungry for a week or two off and on (it's not a constant) is too much - this isn't for you I suppose. That said, being hungry isn't the lifestyle change as much as getting used to any other diet for the first couple weeks. The lifestyle part is after you've made it a habit and can sustain it.
    Fantastic!!!!

Nothing wrong with one meal a day. Whatever works for you. Eat one meal a day or six. It's the total amount that matters as you've shown.
    Fantastic!!!!

Nothing wrong with one meal a day. Whatever works for you. Eat one meal a day or six. It's the total amount that matters as you've shown.

I don't believe that is true. If I ate 6000 cals a day over many meals, I would get fatter. If 6000 calories are eaten at same time, I dont think you would absorb as much and would purge most if it. I might still get fatter but not as much as if injested over the wbole day. I believe junk snacks really pile the weight on for this reason, because its between meals and you absorb most the calories. I think if you eat junk with a meal, you won't absorb as much of it. The body is rate limited in how fast it can absorb carbs.
  • blambo61
    Options
    Welcome to OMAD, blambo61 (and others who are starting).

Yes, many (if not most) health problems tend to lessen or subside on OMAD. Per Dr Mark Mattson's research on intermittent fasting, the body goes into a state of repair (see the video in the OMAD forums).

I like your individualistic attitude toward owning your own routine. Nothing wrong with tailoring it to your lifestyle.

And yes, it is difficult to start with, but gets easier, as your body starts to "downsize the operation" in there and you produce less gastro-juices (I experienced those pains all too well--hope that's not TMI!)

Thanks for the reply. Im enjoying pizza for dinner as I type! Its too early to tell, but I think my allergies are a little better also. Im usually very congested in the mornings but have had little this past weak.

I did eat lunch today though because people at work go out for lunch on Fridays. I wiil probably break my routine once a week for that and maybe for some other occasional social events.

Thanks again!
  • dlaurie19
    dlaurie19 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    As a former active follower of the Honorable Elijah Muhammad I know first hand the difficulty of eating one meal a day. The struggle is real but the results of being healthy is beyond magnificent!!!
    Congratulations on getting healthy!!!
  • blambo61
    Options
    Week One:
    I lost approx 7 lbs (250 to 243). Starting week two. I do actually feel like I have more energy even when working out. I think a lot of the junk I was eating was making feel bad. Not that hard so far. Fasting is an appetite suppressant. Eating small meals is the opposite and is torture for me.
  • arguablysamson
    Options
    Excellent, Blambo61.

Actually, going on 200 people are doing what I did and just about all are seeing fantabulous results. It will better your life. It really will.

Join the OMAD Revolution!
  • bestbreakfast
    bestbreakfast Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I read your post and story. I am here just to comment on how beautifully written it is! You should write a book!
  • arguablysamson
    Options
    I read your post and story. I am here just to comment on how beautifully written it is! You should write a book!

I've actually had a career as a writer for some time now and have written two books (but that's another story).
    :-p

Thanks so much!
  • MissElectricEyeliner
    Options
    I much prefer to eat 1 or 2 larger meals a day as to a bunch of smaller ones.
  • blambo61
    Options
    Start weight/height: 250, 6'1"
    Weekly weight loss (lbs): 7,3
    Total weight loss: 10lbs/ 2weeks
    Still going. Riding bike 30min 3xweek. Have had lunch once during two weeks. Eating a lot in the evenings. This has not been very hard so far.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Congrats! And I also like this way of eating, I feel better, and no after meal naps! I naturally fall into OMAD most days when I'm low carb.

But don't tell me I can't get 2000 calories on one 10 inch plate, I assure you, I can. It's all about how you stack the pizza, cake, cheese wheel, more pizza, and cookies. Not sure I'd try throwing ice cream on there, though. I'd have to eat it first and fast before it melted. Ice cream cake, maybe? ;)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!