From 363.4 to 197.7 lbs: My One-Meal-a-Day Success Story

Options

Replies

• Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I personally have to eat more often or I get the shakes but glad it worked for you.
  • Lost_in_Transformation
    Options
    Amazing and BUMP for later!
  • Maryaly40
    Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    binge
    noun \ˈbinj\
    a short period of time when you do too much of something
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/binge

I'm amazed this encouragement to develop an eating disorder is allowed to continue on MFP.
    My body rarely gets hungry, despite the fact that I have a positive relationship with food: no past history with EDs
    ... wasting hours of my precious time eating and planning meals when I could be improving other aspects of my life.
    ... I like the feeling, though, of knowing that my stomach is empty and I'm in control of how I fuel my body
    Claims a "positive relationship with food" & no eating disorder, but thinks that meals are a waste of time, improving food intake will not improve her life, likes knowing that she's starving her body & in control of what she's eating.
    Sounds like an eating disorder to me.
    ... I try to exercise (40 mins. on the elliptical) a couple hours after I've had my meal in order to have some energy, but some nights I just can't do what I'm usually capable of. My body gets tired quickly depending on what my one meal consists of.
    Not having energy the rest of the day (because you have no fuel for your body), and tiring quickly should be red flags that you're not doing what your body needs.
    Yes, once in a while I'll have a low-energy day. But most of the time my body ticks along normally & I can do whatever I want, whenever I want, and know that I have the energy for whatever is coming.
    ... I've read that it's bad for the digestion to mix fruits with grains/carbs during meals
    Grains are carbohydrates. So are fruits. So are vegetables.
    McDonald's et al, in effect predigest (the spuds are milled then formed into fries) the potatoes that go into making french fries
    Unless they're adding enzymes which break down the starch, they are not "predigesting" them, they're just changing the form.
    Fries are addictive because they're high in fat & salt.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    binge
    noun \ˈbinj\
    a short period of time when you do too much of something
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/binge

I'm amazed this encouragement to develop an eating disorder is allowed to continue on MFP.

Distinguish, please, between fasting (something every culture in the world has had) and resuming eating vs binging; the former is controlled and the latter is not. Plus, your body regulates over-indulgence by not letting you stay hungry. Your intake averages out. And I don't even have the time to list all of the other huge, massive differences. And OMAD does NOT encourage binging. My plan certainly doesn't. I don't know why you think it does.

You are simply jealous, my dear. It's easy for all to see. If someone doesn't lose weight like YOU want them to, then it's "unhealthy." Alas, you are dead wrong.

UPDATE: This morning, my scale showed 186.4 pounds. Are you happy with the numbers you are seeing?? I'm thinking not. Either way, please go elsewhere. You can go about losing weight however you want to. Nothing is keeping you here except your own desire to naysay and argue.
  • Heirgreat
    Heirgreat Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Body can assimilate approx 20gm protein at one time. How does eating all caloric needs within one hour a day provide adequate nutrients? A man your height wt would likely need apex 90-112 gm protein a day but now way can your kidneys process that in one hour- that's the concern I would see with the OMAD -but your pics results are amazing and your kids are darling too
  • arguablysamson
    Options
    Body can assimilate approx 20gm protein at one time. How does eating all caloric needs within one hour a day provide adequate nutrients? A man your height wt would likely need apex 90-112 gm protein a day but now way can your kidneys process that in one hour- that's the concern I would see with the OMAD -but your pics results are amazing and your kids are darling too

Well, while losing, your body is going to be getting less of various needed nutrients, but recommended stats do not a sensible way to go through life make. And as long as the deficit is not severe, it doesn't really matter. To be under the recommended amounts of nutrients or calories doesn't take into account an individual's metabolism or weekly splurges. Plus, it doesn't take into account that your metabolism becomes more efficient at digesting food on OMAD over time and continues to process nutrients long after the feeding window has closed. And I can always go back to pointing out (as I've done with criticisms about eating healthy) that losing weight is a lesser-of-evils business to start. No one should forget that. First, you have to take control, and that is what this is about (i.e. quitting the compulsive eating and snacking, etc). You gradually feel compelled to go for healthier and more foods, and that is due to a progression toward more nutrient-dense foods.
    but your pics results are amazing and your kids are darling too

Thanks, and thanks! :-)
  • paddybonner
    Options
    How do you find going to sleep on an empty stomach? I did OMAD for the past 2 days but literally couldn't sleep last night so had to have a small meal. I was eating the OMAD meal within 2-3 hours of getting up. Now I'm pushing the OMAD meal back. Around 10 hours after getting up. So far I'm feeling great today, very energetic and I'm 8 hours in. I really couldn't sleep on that empty stomach last night so I think if I'm to continue this OMAD, I;'m going to have to eat about 10 hours after waking.
  • Aurelina
    Aurelina Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Great success!

I've been drifting towards this option myself. In the process of my tinkering around I found this latest that might be of interest to you. Turns out the research is giving some data to show that breakfast isn't the be all and end all of good nutrition.

http://m.ajcn.nutrition.org/content/100/2/539.full.pdf
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    OP.. when you reached goal weight, how did you transition into maintenance? I'm already having trouble getting all my daily calories in one meal because I get full now on so much less.
  • paddybonner
    Options
    OP can you give some examples of what kinds of meals you were eating + their calories pls

thanks
  • arguablysamson
    Options
    OP.. when you reached goal weight, how did you transition into maintenance? I'm already having trouble getting all my daily calories in one meal because I get full now on so much less.

This was tricky and proved to be the most emotional part of dieting. Having coming to terms with the way I had to eat at first, I again had to come to terms that not only had my waist and body changed, but my needs had changed as well.

I, at first, transitioned to larger meals, but I went slowly, fearing I would gain my weight back. But at this point, I was working out and clearly needed to gain some muscle and firm up. Hence, the need for more calories. I found that OMAD doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing thing. For extra energy and strength gains, I added in days of multiple meals (MM), reverting to OMAD just two to three days out of the week, depending upon how much I consumed on those MM days; if I felt like I ate too much and noticed a lot of water retention, I would go back to strict OMAD. But I still ended up losing weight if I went too strict at that.

So, to answer your question, I vary my eating habits drastically, being careful to gauge consumption with curbing off the lightest cravings. At times, I still "throw down" and eat a big, less healthy meal. But here again, once you learn you are back in control, then you can enjoy the benefits of normal self-management. And that is the beauty of this!

As to getting enough calories, remember that a number of days can go by on too few calories--if you keep a balance in days of the week where your calories are up, too. A larger meal can work, but just as in the wild, there is nothing wrong with variance. This is something I was uncomfortable with at first, but again, taking back control shows you that you really are not the same as you were when you started the plan and you had to check yourself by always eating OMAD. Things do change.
  • arguablysamson
    Options
    OP can you give some examples of what kinds of meals you were eating + their calories pls

thanks

Sure.

At first, it was just about taking back control, which meant portion control with the one-plate OMAD rule. My meals consisted of everything from homecooked all-American stuff, like chili and spaghetti, to junkie fast-food, which I'll admit I consumed much of the first few months. Made no difference in weight loss.

But in time, you change and your tastes change. I believe this to be from the fact that as your nutrient levels fall, your body has to change your tastes to get you to desire good things (well, I know this because I have never in my life craved fruits, but I now LOVE them!) Once you get used to being without junk sugar stuff, your body develops a healthy craving for natural sugars found in fruits.

So, on or off OMAD, my favorite preferred foods involved milk, honey, eggs, wheat bread, white rice, a gamut of meats and fish, hot peppers, nuts, fresh fruits, and vegetables (usually canned or frozen). Just depends.

Here is one of my quickie favorite recipes...

Habanero Veggie, Rice, & Steak Medley (Ok, so it's clear I have no real title for this dish!)

1 cup dry rice, cooked, but only salt added and maybe a few chopped onions bits (735 calories)
    4 orange habeneros (60 calories) - chopped finely and cooked in with the rice - tis' a truly heavenly taste!
    1/2 a lime (10 calories) - squeezed into the bowl as I stir after cooking.
    1 14 oz can of corn (322 calories)
    1 14 oz can of green lima bean (350 calories)
    1 pinch of cilantro (0.7 calories)
    1 cup serving of organic grapes (110 calories)
    9 pieces of large organic cashews (160 calories)
    1 package of Grill'n Ready steak strips from Walmart (280 calories per whole package)
    ____
    2,027.07 calories

Divide, serve, combine, or change as you like. This is just one example. Naturally, this makes for a mighty spicy dish with everything mixed in. Very, VERY tasty, I might add! :-)
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the information, OP.

When my willpower flags or the doubts creep in I keep going back to this thread, it's helping me a lot. I appreciate your posting it and dealing with the negative people who keep chiming in saying this is an eating disorder. I've been hearing this from my own family as well, but I'm paying no mind to it.
  • twalker475
    twalker475 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I think it's great you found a method that works for you...congrats on your success! I hadn't heard of OMAD before, but it sounds similar to intermittent fasting. Consistently eating beyond our body's energy expenditure is what causes fat storage/weight gain, regardless of whether it is consumed in one meal, three, six, etc. I could see how it would be easier to stay in a calorie deficit eating only one meal/day, though...we can only fit so much food in our stomachs at one time before the discomfort of stuffing any more in would make most people stop. It is much easier to overeat a little here and there throughout the day if you are not being careful, and those little bits add up. I think the important thing, though, is to find what suits your preference and work that system! Great job on doing that!
  • psylvester1
    Options
    bump
  • persistentsoul
    persistentsoul Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Great job :)
  • Crushed it
  • lelyke
    lelyke Posts: 47
    Options
    You deserve an award
  • tarheelmendi
    tarheelmendi Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been overweight most of my life. I dropped 67 pounds over about 2 years (not fast weight loss) and have excess saggy skin. It is unsightly to me. It will not go away without surgery according to my dermatologist. I think saggy skin is not only related to how fast one loses weight, but the amount one loses, and how long the excess weight was carried. Hope this helps. :smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!