18 Ibs Lost, and no one notices

Options
I lost 8,1 kg which is almost 18 pounds, and no one around me notices the difference..very frustrating!

Replies

• karenrich77
    karenrich77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I've lost 41 and no one has noticed lol. But then I am big to start with!
  • Mad4282
    Mad4282 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I had to lose nearly 30 for people to start noticing. This is why it is so important to do it for yourself. People WILL notice eventually, but if you feel the difference and are happy with your progress, that is all that matters. Congratulations by the way! Losing 18 pounds is a huge accomplishment!!!! :)
  • jquijas
    jquijas Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    The main thing is that you notice! If you are losing weight for others then it probably isn't the right reason and you will not stay on the healthy path. If you feel better about yourself then that is what people will notice. Stick with it!!!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I lost 8,1 kg which is almost 18 pounds, and no one around me notices the difference..very frustrating!
    As nice as it is for people to notice. Are you losing weight for them or yourself? You've done fantastic and should be proud you know what you've achieved.
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Well at least YOU know you've lost! Don't worry about what others see! Focus on being healthy for YOU. And congratulations on your loss!
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Keep going; the closer you get to your goal the more people will notice if you even lose 5lb.
  • Jenny8511
    Jenny8511 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I've lost 36, and at 5'1 that's very noticeable. Only 2 people have said anything and that's only because they knew I was losing weight. I'm sure people just don't want to hurt your feelings just in case. Weight can be a touchy subject for some people.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    It not that no one notices. People are just so busy and mindless in there own being. People have been noticing my weight lost since I took it seriously in April. I mastered body recomp from January to April with NSV of any kind but was still slimming down a lot.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    I've lost 36, and at 5'1 that's very noticeable. Only 2 people have said anything and that's only because they knew I was losing weight. I'm sure people just don't want to hurt your feelings just in case. Weight can be a touchy subject for some people.

This^^^
    It took about 25 lost for people to start noticing it on me.
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    As above. Do it for yourself, anyone else caring is a bonus.
  • nhm724
    nhm724 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Lose for yourself and no one else. The benefits will be forthcoming. Don't worry. Enjoy the journey.
  • Mrs_Bones
    Mrs_Bones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I had to lose nearly 30 for people to start noticing. This is why it is so important to do it for yourself. People WILL notice eventually, but if you feel the difference and are happy with your progress, that is all that matters. Congratulations by the way! Losing 18 pounds is a huge accomplishment!!!! :)
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I've learned that some people will NEVER say anything for basically 2 reasons:

A) They don't know if it is appropriate to say anything.
    B) They are jealous.

Just remind yourself that you are doing it for yourself; 18 lbs is amazing progress. Congrats!
  • KarenE86
    KarenE86 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I think people notice but feel awkward bringing up weight, even when youve lost. Great job! Focus on losing for yourself!
  • DanaHerro
    DanaHerro Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Who are you doing this for? Them or you?

If you are heavy to begin with, then no, no one will notice for a while because heavy is heavy..

I was 70 lbs overweight and no one noticed a single pound until I hit 35 lbs lost :)
    Who cares? I was over the moon pleased with MYSELF and I could tell a difference. That's what matters!
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel and that's discouraging. I had to lose about 30 pounds and get quite slim before people began to notice - or at least verbalize it. And then too, I think there are people who may be jealous who won't comment no matter what. Still others pay so damn little attention to anyone but themselves that you might as well write them off.

Don't let their lack of notice concern you. You know you've lost weight and look good and that's all that really counts. And, your doctor will know and appreciate it.
  • moma3_00
    moma3_00 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I find that people do notice, it's just sometimes they are afraid to say anything, either out of fear of insulting you (as if you'll reply, "are you saying I was fat before"), out of jealousy because they aren't able to do it, or fear of "messing up" your progress (heck no - all compliments are welcome!). I'll venture to guess that they noticed, but might not say something until you mention it. Maybe bring it up? They say that you notice a change in your body within the first 5 lbs, others notice a change after the first 15 lbs.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing this past weekend - I've lost 28lb and no-one said anything. Then I thought:

i) I feel SO much better - fitter/trimmer and more comfortable

ii) I am the only one who is really concerned about how big or small I am

iii) I carry my weight very evenly and people in the past, when I have dropped weight before, have commented that they never realised that I was as big as I was.

iv) some people do not like making personal comments about weight for fear that 'Have you lost weight?' or 'Gosh you look great - have you lost a few pounds' translates as 'Before you were huge!'

We are a sensitive lot! Do this for you - others will notice how much more active/trim or glamorous you look in good time.

Congratulations on your 18lb loss :flowerforyou:
  • mrskight2011
    mrskight2011 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've lost 22, and I felt frustrated that more people haven't noticed too. BUT what others have said is true - are you doing it for them, or for you? I went to the doctor on Friday and found out my triglycerides have dropped 50 points with my weight loss, changes in diet, and exercise - so whether others notice or not, GOOD changes are happening! 18 pounds is a great accomplishment!! Keep up the good work, and know that you're making positive changes for YOU! :)
  • CABasile
    CABasile Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    A lot depends on your starting weight, but most people's experience is that they don't get comments until they have lost about 30-40 lbs. I didn't start getting comments until about 40 lbs. were lost.