Heavy Lifting Goals for Ladies?

Options

Replies

• Aeramis13
    Aeramis13 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Strong Lifts 5x5 for about 3 months, but was working out with weights prior to that (some on my own with no rhyme or reason & some with a trainer). I'm 5'2"-ish (maybe a little under depending on the doctor measuring me) and currently weigh about 170. I was eating at or over maintenance for a decent chunk of the last 2 months (due to food issues, not to bulk), and I found that eating at a deficit immediately lowered my lifting ability, hence the current vs. max reached amounts below.

Squat
    -goal: 250
    -current: 160
    -max reached: 185
    Bench
    -goal: 150
    -current: 80
    -max reached: 95
    Barbell Row
    -current: 105
    -max reached: 115
    Overhead Press:
    -current: 65
    -max reached: 80
    Deadlift:
    -goal: 250
    -current: 165
    -max reached: 175

Just got straps to aid with deadlifts and rows since my arthritis directly affects my gripping abilities. Will be using them for the first time tomorrow.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I have a question for all of you weightlifting ladies. I can't seem to increase weight with my bench press. I've been doing it for about 6 months now and I haven't really gone up in weight. I started at 35 lbs and am now benching 65lbs. I was benching 75lbs but realized my form was bad because the weight was too heavy so went back down to 65.

I feel like I should have increased more by now.
  • Aliciaaah
    Aliciaaah Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Do you try varying between barbell and dumbell? And other chest exercises, to help supplement in different ways? It might help add to strength. Also, have you tried switching up your routine? Like doing them earlier (and hopefully heavier) in your workout some days and later (and lighter if necessary) on other days?
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I have a question for all of you weightlifting ladies. I can't seem to increase weight with my bench press. I've been doing it for about 6 months now and I haven't really gone up in weight. I started at 35 lbs and am now benching 65lbs. I was benching 75lbs but realized my form was bad because the weight was too heavy so went back down to 65.

There are a lot of factors that affect your ability to progress on various lifts. Bench is my weakest lift and the slowest to move. It took me years to get a body weight bench when others seem to be able to do so with ease. Form affects your abilities but your build will also have a big impact. I have orangutan arms that make deadlifting easy but benching difficult. What is your build like?
  • Aeramis13
    Options

I've only been doing this a few months & am not an expert, so please keep that in mind.

You may want to try using fractional plate weights, which are basically like standard plates you add to the bar, but tiny so they are smaller weight amounts. I bought mine from Amazon here (http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B008RP3KY8/)

When I get stuck on the same weight for a bit, I start adding fractional plates and it allows me to progress without adding 5 lbs. at a time. It seems to have helped me physically, with a bonus of halting my frustration from a lack of movement. Just my $.02 :)
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

My bench is around the same -- I think I'm in the high 70s now -- so when I see women that are benching 100, 130, 150, I'm very envious.

Are you eating at a caloric surplus? If not, that's probably the issue. There is a point where you'll hit a wall (or so I've been told) when you won't gain anymore strength (or very little) without actually building the muscle. And to build muscle, you need a calorie surplus.

So, if you're cutting/trying lose weight, there is a certain wall you'll hit where your lifts won't increase. I haven't hit that wall yet, but I feel that I'm likely very close (as I'm trying to lose weight as well and am lifting to get stronger and try to maintain as much LBM while losing weight/fat).
  • Sharon_C
    Options
    Do you try varying between barbell and dumbell? And other chest exercises, to help supplement in different ways? It might help add to strength. Also, have you tried switching up your routine? Like doing them earlier (and hopefully heavier) in your workout some days and later (and lighter if necessary) on other days?

I do vary between the barbell and the dumbbell but I've just recently started doing this so maybe I have to give it a little more time. I haven't tried varying when I do them in my workout. I always do them first after stretching. Maybe I'll try that too. Thank you so much for your suggestion.
  • Sharon_C
    Options

There are a lot of factors that affect your ability to progress on various lifts. Bench is my weakest lift and the slowest to move. It took me years to get a body weight bench when others seem to be able to do so with ease. Form affects your abilities but your build will also have a big impact. I have orangutan arms that make deadlifting easy but benching difficult. What is your build like?

I've never thought about my body build. I don't think my arms are overly long. At least no one has told me they are :wink:
  • Sharon_C
    Options

My bench is around the same -- I think I'm in the high 70s now -- so when I see women that are benching 100, 130, 150, I'm very envious.

Are you eating at a caloric surplus? If not, that's probably the issue. There is a point where you'll hit a wall (or so I've been told) when you won't gain anymore strength (or very little) without actually building the muscle. And to build muscle, you need a calorie surplus.

So, if you're cutting/trying lose weight, there is a certain wall you'll hit where your lifts won't increase. I haven't hit that wall yet, but I feel that I'm likely very close (as I'm trying to lose weight as well and am lifting to get stronger and try to maintain as much LBM while losing weight/fat).

I was afraid this might be the issue. I'm eating at a caloric deficit but not a huge deficit. I'm anywhere from 1,000-2,000 calories under for the week. The thought of eating at a surplus scares me to death.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    well.
    1.) we tend to have issues asking for a spot- or putting ourselves in an potentially unsafe failed position.
    >> can be solved by lifting in the power cage with properly set up safety rails
    >> or getting someone to lift with you on bench days
    2.) don't be afraid to put a little english on it- women tend to hover on form and sacrifice strength gains in order to maintain perfect form. >>I'm not saying toss all- but don't just give up because the bar bangs the rack on the way back up.
    >> go for it- add a little extra weight- only DO 1 or 2 reps- it's okay.

I broke 'protocol' on my squats b/c I was having a hellish time with them- so we loaded up 200- and I did a power curtsey- maybe went down 6"
    re-racked- rested
    got under the bar- did 8"
    re-racked> rested
    did almost depth
    re-racked- > rested > de-loaded to 185 (a weight I was struggling with) and squatted a damn near legal depth squat.

sometimes you just need to get used to the weight and knowing you can manage it.

That and invest in fractional plates/washers or something so you don't have to go by 5 pounds-2.5 pound plates are great!!
  • Sharon_C
    Options

I've only been doing this a few months & am not an expert, so please keep that in mind.

You may want to try using fractional plate weights, which are basically like standard plates you add to the bar, but tiny so they are smaller weight amounts. I bought mine from Amazon here (http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B008RP3KY8/)

When I get stuck on the same weight for a bit, I start adding fractional plates and it allows me to progress without adding 5 lbs. at a time. It seems to have helped me physically, with a bonus of halting my frustration from a lack of movement. Just my $.02 :)

I wish my gym had fractional weight plates but theirs increase in 5 lb increments. You wouldn't think that was a lot but it is!
  • Sharon_C
    Options
    well.
    1.) we tend to have issues asking for a spot- or putting ourselves in an potentially unsafe failed position.
    2.) don't be afraid to put a little english on it- women tend to hover on form and sacrifice strength gains in order to maintain perfect form. >>I'm not saying toss all- but don't just give up because the bar bangs the rack on the way back up.

I broke 'protocol' on my squats b/c I was having a hellish time with them- so we loaded up 200- and I did a power curtsey- maybe went down 6"
    re-racked- rested
    re-racked> rested
    did almost depth
    re-racked- > rested > de-loaded to 185 (a weight I was struggling with) and squatted a damn near legal depth squat.

sometimes you just need to get used to the weight and knowing you can manage it.

That and invest in fractional plates/washers or something so you don't have to go by 5 pounds-2.5 pound plates are great!!
    Thank you! My kids and my husband all lift with me and sometimes my husband tends to get hung up on form (he gets after me for not lowering it far enough) and that's when I lightened the weights. Maybe I should add more weight on one of the reps and just ignore him :smile:
  • Aliciaaah
    Aliciaaah Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    well.

re-racked- rested
    re-racked> rested
    did almost depth

I love this! I've started increasing weight for my clean and press, and sometimes I have to add a slight knee bend/hop to get the last couple reps, but if it's what it takes to keep moving up, I'm all for it.
  • Aeramis13
    Options

I wish my gym had fractional weight plates but theirs increase in 5 lb increments. You wouldn't think that was a lot but it is!

That's the way my gym is, which is why I spent (too much) money on the ones I linked on Amazon. I would much rather have paid $20 or less, but they really have helped already, so I'll take it :)
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Wow! I am so impressed by all the ladies that are lifting, and your improvements!

I started SL 5x5 about three weeks ago, and somethings i am doing very well and others i am struggling.

I am 5'6", weighing in at 168lbs:

Squat: Started with 45lbs now at 100. I'd like to be able to squat my body weight by the end of the summer.

Bench Press: Started with 45lbs, now at 55. And it's a real struggle. i've had to deload twice, and repeat several times at 50 before i finally got 55 this last time. Eventually, again, i'd like to be able to do my body weight, but no target date set for it to happen.

Overhead Press: Started at 45lbs, now at 55. Again this one is really tough. Goal is body weight.

Barbell Row: Started at 45lbs, now at 70. I'd like to be at 100 by the end of the summer.

Deadlift: Started at 45lbs, now at 90. I'd like to do my body weight by the end of the summer.

I'm not going to worry about doing any other movements til around November or so, unless I feel like I've made good enough progress with SL 5x5.
  • jenyzmcc
    jenyzmcc Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have only been weight lifting for the past 3 weeks! I don't currently have goals, will set my sights once I pass the six week mark of training. Currently weighing 150lbs and 5"4inches.

squat- 99lbs/45kgs
    deadlift-132lbs/60kgs
    ohp-55lbs/25kgs (rubbish at ohp)
    barbell row-88lbs/40kgs
    benchpress-88lbs/40kgs

If anyone would have any advice on goals etc, I am more than willing to listen!
  • gabster004
    gabster004 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I would recommend doing a strength program. i just use simple WEndler 531. Bench has been going steadily up. currently benching 165#. Strenght is about consistency.
    Also, when i did a push up challenge my BP went up by 10# in 2 weeks. I started with 25 push ups a day 1st week, second week 50, third 75, and fourth 100. i would just get them in when i could reps of 10 here and there until i collected my total number for the day. if you are not good at push ups start with 10 and increase by 10 every week. hope that helps.

BP 165#
    Press 125#
    Squat 330# (w/safety bar)
    DL 385#
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

Oh, it's a lot, especially for the upper body exercises. It takes me a good 1-2 months to go up 5 lbs in my bench of OHP. Fractional plates are a MUST for me!
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I would recommend doing a strength program. i just use simple WEndler 531. Bench has been going steadily up. currently benching 165#. Strenght is about consistency.
    Also, when i did a push up challenge my BP went up by 10# in 2 weeks. I started with 25 push ups a day 1st week, second week 50, third 75, and fourth 100. i would just get them in when i could reps of 10 here and there until i collected my total number for the day. if you are not good at push ups start with 10 and increase by 10 every week. hope that helps.

BP 165#
    Press 125#
    Squat 330# (w/safety bar)
    DL 385#

I'd like to learn more about the pushup challenge...I am really struggling with my bench and OHP. This may be a good way to increase my upper body strength. Is it here on MFP?
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    my goals are three sets to failure and muscle definition you can see when not flexing