Friends eating 1200

Options

Replies

• tgraves9875
    tgraves9875 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    1200 (without exercise) over here too. Do you guys regularly go over your 12 if you have burned some extra? I try not to just for the sake of doing so.
  • fatfox13
    fatfox13 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 :)
  • Ansleyplusfour
    Options
    Right around 1200 has always worked BEST for me! If I eat more, I either stay the same or *GAIN*...Ugh! :noway:

Same for me.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    1200 (without exercise) over here too. Do you guys regularly go over your 12 if you have burned some extra? I try not to just for the sake of doing so.

Then I would argue that you are Doing It Wrong™ (at least according to how MFP is set up). The idea of 1200 as a safe lower limit is based on the assumption that you will increase that number for any additional exercise calories. There are numerous benefits of consistently eating more calories including higher likelihood of meeting your nutritional minimums and higher likelihood of adherence to your diet.
  • sringelstein
    sringelstein Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am on a 1200 plan but I exercise so frequently I come under. My calories will be way under when I Super Shred, but that's only for 4 weeks. Trying to get the bottom half lean and toned.
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am also working at 1200 calories a day. Had gained 45 pounds back after losing 125 after a gastric sleeve procedure. Decided I was not only going to not gain any more weight...but that I was going to lose what I put on. So far...so good! Down 18 pounds in 10 weeks. Coming off slow...but that's okay. I find this APP very helpful when I actually use it. :)

18 pounds in 10 weeks is "slow"?

What rate would you consider "fast"?

I'm guessing the 125 lb came off quickly after surgery, making the 18 lbs look slow.
  • Nikole507
    Nikole507 Posts: 3
    Options
    trying to keep it at 1200 for now. I'm not hungry, plenty of veggies out there!! I'm exercising too, but I'm using exercise to net less than 1200 per day. I really want to lose and get in shape at the same time.
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Reply to the "Quote"

I really don't find it miserable at all. I have 130 lbs to lose, and though it's ideal to lose 2 lbs a week, the 1200 cal. diet is working fine for me. I eat healthy, hearty meals with a snack in between. I'm not hungry, and I notice that I am getting fuller quicker each day. The recipes I have found are wonderful, and if I don't feel like cooking, I pop a Smart Ones in the microwave. It's really not so bad. I do thank you for caring enough to post that though.

So you have 130 lbs to lose... As you lose weight MFP will decrease your calorie allowance. That's what happens. But since the lowest default setting is 1200, you will just continue to eat 1200 per day. Your BMR will drop to match your intake, since it is not enough calories for a person your size. Then the weight loss will stop. If you ever start to increase your calories, you will gain weight. It's called metabolic damage. Do yourself a favour and read the sexy pants links. You can lose 2 lbs a week eating much more than 1200 a day. ( which is about what a child requires, not an adult)

I started here needing to lose 100 lbs. I've lost 45 lbs and eat 2200 calories per day. Food is awesome.
  • raelsea
    raelsea Posts: 11
    Options
    My goal is 1200 calories a day too. I'll send you a friend request :)
  • stickersticker
    stickersticker Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I end up eating more junk food and empty calorie foods when I raise my level above 1200.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    I am on 1200
    I have read sexy pants
    I am never hungry
    I dont eat back my earned calories
    My macros are good usually

Feel free to add me, send a note with it.

My diary is an open book
  • sharialwee
    sharialwee Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am on 1200 and can usually meet this target when I'm very careful So. I like it that it makes me very conscious of what I eat. Feel free to add me as your friend.
  • eggcluck
    eggcluck Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    This 1200 is absolutely terrible for your metabolism and will damage it, it will also cause hormone imbalances while your body goes into starvation mode it. When you come off your 1200 you will put weight back on fast as you no longer have the metabolism to burn those calories. Been there done that.

The more sane and healthier option would be to eat more but increase your daily activity, get off the couch and do some walking. A man especially has little defence for eating just 1200. IMHO this is crash dieting and given the nature of this site I am sure most people are aware of how that turns out.
  • dianeunger
    dianeunger Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am 64 yrs. old and have slowly put on weight. I need to lose about 30 lbs. I have a wedding to go to in 5 weeks and I refuse to buy another dress I wont wear again so this is it. I hope to lose 10 lbs by then. I also don't feel well being overweight. Good luck to you.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I end up eating more junk food and empty calorie foods when I raise my level above 1200.

This isn't an issue of a greater than 1200 calorie diet being a problem, but is instead a problem of your implementation of it.

That said, many consider getting some of your over 1200 calories in "junk" or "empty calorie" foods as a *feature* of a higher calorie approach to weight loss, not a problem with it.
  • catevans72
    Options
    I'm at 1200. Been doing it for almost a year. I have lost just over 35 pounds. :wink:
  • tinnyhinny
    tinnyhinny Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Eating 1200 calories. :smile:
  • Partylikelizkeeler
    Partylikelizkeeler Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1240.
    (:
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options

:huh:

This confuses me. First, what's wrong with 'junk' food?

Second, if it bothers you, why couldn't you just eatwhat you're eating now but more of it? I mean, if you're afraid to eat more than 1200 because you're afraid of eating junk food, what's going to happen when you want to maintain? You can't lose weight forever. And when you go to maintenance... all I'm saying is the longer you avoid that kind of food, the more you're going to eat when you do switch to maintaining!
  • RachelSallibeth
    RachelSallibeth Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm eating 1200! Second day only though haha