Why do you like MFP over other social media?

Options
lookin4gains
lookin4gains Posts: 1,761 Member
I can honestly say that everyone on this site seems positive. Facebook has turned into a venting website about how crappy everyone's life is. It's nice to wake up to motivated people ready to take on the day and attempt a healthy lifestyle day after day.

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    No one in my RL knows me here. :wink:
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I think you are right op, the common thread of people trying to become healthier is one part of it. And randomtai also has a point in that all but two of my friends are complete strangers to me. Getting to know them and their routines intrigues me.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    No one in my RL knows me here. :wink:

This.

I don't feel the pressure of behaving a certain way or not saying things because it might offend people in my RL. I can act the fool up in this place and have fun. Plus, fitness is a major interest of mine now and my FB friends don't care about how much I can hip thrust or how boxing is going.
  • dawnawoodward
    dawnawoodward Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I like the accountability I find here. I put in my food, I know what it is, how much I had etc. I really enjoy reading others stories of success although I do not comment often. I think the coolest part is all the information people put forth such as idea's of food substitutes, exercise information etc. I have learned alot from that. As far as comparing it to facebook to me it should not be compared. Facebook is connecting with people you know for socialization. MFP is connecting any people that want a lifestyle change. I honestly think some of the topics are silly here....such as ....would you date the person below etc....lol Not that dating from the internet is bad...(meet my man on POF) However....this site is and should be about health and fitness. If you want to date, go to a dating site. Just my opinion. :) That is why I don't offer it often here.....I tell it like it is...and well.. I have learned most people don't like that. Anyway... I have lost 88lbs and I love this site. SOooo that is why I like it better :) Have a great day everyone !!!
  • Phoenix__Rising
    Phoenix__Rising Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    To me this is more targeted to healthy
    attitudes, changes and self improvement.
    I prefer the surroundings here.
  • kmorgan221
    kmorgan221 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I'm here for the gifs.

Support getting fit is great too, but gifs mostly.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Because Mark Zuckerberg is a complete schwantz; Facebook sucks, and I too like the fitness orientation of MFP.
  • _JPunky
    _JPunky Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I can post fitness stuff on here and be applauded instead of mocked (***mentally waving fist at my brother***).

I can be myself and post REAL stuff without worrying what my family, or my ex's family or other people in my life are thinking about me. Because, honestly, my friends on here get me a lot more than most people I know IRL.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    It's anonymous, FB has family members and junk
  • ScorpionQwean
    ScorpionQwean Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I got rid of FB 4 months ago and it was the best thing ever. I love all my friends on here MUAH, HUGZ, SMILES.
    Time to get a donut... Kidding.
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I hardly do anything on Facebook - I only joined less than a year ago.... I like MFP because we all have the same goal, and that is our common thread. I also like that my friends on Facebook are so diverse - gender, age, race, weigth, fitness level and even geographically! Finally, I do like that I don't really "know" my friends and they don't know me. I don't have to be "on" with them and they don't with me.
  • Jess1caLe
    Jess1caLe Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I deleted my FB over a year ago and haven't looked back. I don't socialize on MFP as much, but it is a great wellness community when you need support.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    1. MFP is (generally) not a place where political and religious views get tossed around like they do on facebook.

2. I can be proud of my physical accomplishments here and be applauded for them by my friends, instead of being ridiculed through some passive-aggressive status update by a "friend" on facebook. (This has happened to me before.)

3. I can delete people that annoy me on MFP without recourse because I don't know anyone IRL.

4. I have a lot more in common with strangers on MFP than I do with real-life "friends" on facebook.
  • DBoone85
    DBoone85 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I can't post my nudez on facebook.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    cat gifs.
  • TotallyGetFit
    Options
    People are here to support and everyone has a common goal.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Because I can vent here. It's nice to say what I think without retribution from family. LOL

Also because it's a bunch of motivated people with like minds.
    I never have to say "how many of you only have the wish to hold down your couch today" :)
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Recently, I decided to pretty much curtail my mainstream social media presence, i.e. Facebook, Google+ and went on a hunt to delete any other random SM sites that I've demoed over the years. (I have kept my LinkedIN, Flickr and Twitter accounts.) Social Media does not exist as a charity to you. (And I say this as professional who uses SM for marketing. I know, I know... the hypocrisy.)

MFP is no charity either, after all this exercise/nutrition data we freely share, but at least you can maintain some level of anonymity if you so wish to.

And like above, my FB "friends" could have cared less about nutrition and exercise, or in some cases mocked me.

Who the hell mocks you for exercising and eating better?

Some "friends."
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I've pretty much abandoned FB since re-joining MFP last summer. Facebook has become nothing but ads, people sharing stupidity, whining posts and game requests. I love the anonymity here. I've gotten close with a few people I've met here, but love that I don't have to deal with real life family and "friends", especially where my diet and fitness are concerned.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    It's anonymous, FB has family members and junk

Um, there's plenty of junk here, too.