Critique My Keto Meal Plan?

Options
I've just started my ketosis diet and the meals I have planned out for it goes as follows:

Breakfast: 2 boiled eggs, 3 strips of bacon

Snack: 8 oz green tea, 1 tbsp of peanut butter

Lunch: 2boiled eggs, 3 cups of salad, 1 hotdog link

Dinner: 8 oz of chicken breast, 2 tbsp of ranch dressing

This also puts me at only 897 calories.

I weigh 315 pounds since Sunday and am 6'3 in height.

I'll also be working out alongside this--I'll have to edit in the lifting workouts once I remember a few exact names here and there, but I'm also currently doing 20 minutes if cardio. All workouts will be increased as I go.

One more thing: I'm doing this to lose body fat, so please keep that in mind.

So, what would you add or take away?

Looking to add more calories to fit what I need, I'm not shooting for low carb.

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I would add food.

Like, more than twice as much.

Once you've got that, come back so we can re-assess.

ETA: If you're also working out, add more food.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Add food.

Calories in vs exercise will likely put you at 0.. Plus whatever you burn just by being alive will put you in the negative.. This might as well just be an eating disorder.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    One egg is not 'lunch'....
  • monolith66
    monolith66 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Keto and exercise imo isn't a great combination, keto works well if you're sedentary. The lack of carbs is really going to make you feel depleted and unenergetic.
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    My general eating plan right now is as follows:

Breakfast: 2 sausage egg 'muffins'. I cook pork sausage, and divide it into a muffin tin (12 cups). Scramble 14 eggs and pour over sausage. Bake, 20 mins. No carbs. Lots of protein and portable. Just heat in the microwave for a minute. I top with cheese.

Lunch: Small salad with low carb veggies. 6-8 oz of protein (ham, chicken, etc). 1 oz sunflower seeds.

Snack: High fiber, low carb protein bar.

Dinner: 6-8oz protein (or more if hungry). Some sort of vegetable, cooked mushrooms, or another small salad.

Nightly snack: Cheese or peanuts.

Nets me between 1800 and 2k calories a day, with veggies and fiber. Seems to be working so far.
  • Triplesget
    Triplesget Posts: 66
    Options
    I've added 3 cups of salad and a hotdog link to my lunch and now I'm hitting 719, slightly nearing double my former calorie intake. My current stats though are 9% carbs, 61% fat, 30% protein. I can't add anymore carbs because I'm already hitting 16 grams--does anyone know what I could add to fix the percentages and get me maybe where I need to be?
  • Triplesget
    Options
    Also, would I be better off just cutting out exercise for as long as I'm doing this?
  • mish26
    mish26 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Also, would I be better off just cutting out exercise for as long as I'm doing this?

I think you'd be better off learning to eat a healthy diet.
  • Triplesget
    Options
    Which "healthy diet"?
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I've added 3 cups of salad and a hotdog link to my lunch and now I'm hitting 719, slightly nearing double my former calorie intake. My current stats though are 9% carbs, 61% fat, 30% protein. I can't add anymore carbs because I'm already hitting 16 grams--does anyone know what I could add to fix the percentages and get me maybe where I need to be?

That's not nearly double. That's not even half again of the origional plan.

Also, a hot dog link? If you're going to eat little, get as many nutrients in every calorie you need, otherwise you'll find yourself in a hosiptal from malnutrition.

If you're as big as you say you are, you should be eating a MINIMUM of 2700 calories without any exercise.

If you're doing what you're talking about doing, stop asking us for suggestions and go speak to a reputable doctor to go on a supervised, low calorie diet. If you don't, you could end up killing yourself.
  • Triplesget
    Options
    Just wanted to mention that I don't plan on doing this for too long at all, just a few months. Also, bumping because I really would like some more help and tips--I'm sorry.
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Cheese. Avocado perhaps. Eggs. Why is your calorie target so low?
  • karryann2008
    karryann2008 Posts: 140
    Options
    I'm newish to keto and still finding my feet

fatty meat, oily fish, butter, cream, cheese,coconut oil, nuts, coconut, avocado are all in my diet- I try to keep my net carbs under 25g

I weight train and do a couple of cardio sessions a week. I found I need more salt or I get cramps and headaches.
    Feel free to add me as a friend if you want to have a nose at my diary :-)
  • Triplesget
    Options
    I'm not aiming to have low calories, that's just how it's turning out. I wanted a few tips and additions for this so that I could add in more food and raise up my calories, but everyone seems to think I'm trying to aim for low calorie and kill myself. I haven't even started the diet yet--this is all just planning.
  • Triplesget
    Options

That's not nearly double. That's not even half again of the origional plan.

Also, a hot dog link? If you're going to eat little, get as many nutrients in every calorie you need, otherwise you'll find yourself in a hosiptal from malnutrition.

If you're as big as you say you are, you should be eating a MINIMUM of 2700 calories without any exercise.

If you're doing what you're talking about doing, stop asking us for suggestions and go speak to a reputable doctor to go on a supervised, low calorie diet. If you don't, you could end up killing yourself.

Check out down below--I'm not aiming for low calories, and I'd rather not kill myself. I haven't started in on this yet, I'm looking for tips on what to add to fix this to a well suited ratio and higher calorie count. Sorry if you took it the wrong way.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Eat MORE of everything... 4 eggs, not one, 2 tbsp of peanut butter, 8oz chicken etc etc
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    You need to eat WAY more! Curious, why are you deciding this is the way to lose weight?

Following the plan you have currently outlined, I see a few miserable days for you and your family, and then you giving up because it's not sustainable.
  • Triplesget
    Options

Eat MORE of everything... 4 eggs, not one, 2 tbsp of peanut butter, 8oz chicken etc etc

Upping the eggs and chicken fits perfectly! :) Thank you. I'm only keeping the peanut butter down because otherwise I'd be breaking ketosis. Hitting 897 calories now, so 1000+ more to go! right? Haha.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I don't like the keto part of your plan, but that is personal opinion. Ketogenic diets always struck me as the type of diet where you don't want to exercise but you want to lose weight quickly while eating fatty foods and you don't really care that forcing your body into an alternate metabolic pathway will do to you long term.

These diets work but they strike me as being rather extreme and unnecessarily so.
  • Triplesget
    Options
    You need to eat WAY more! Curious, why are you deciding this is the way to lose weight?

Following the plan you have currently outlined, I see a few miserable days for you and your family, and then you giving up because it's not sustainable.

I thought about that, but the family I have is supporting me all the way, I've checked out some of the specifics of what you go through early on and I think I can tolerate it we'll enough. It's a funny thing for a 315 pound nineteen year old to say, but I honestly believe I have the self control for this. I can honestly say for the first time that I REALLY do want this.