Critique My Keto Meal Plan?

Options

Replies

• Triplesget
    Triplesget Posts: 66
    Options
    I added to the original post that I'm looking for MORE calories--I'm not trying to starve myself.

That is good.

But why ketogenic?

Wanting to kick start my weigh loss with a high weight drop before I slowly ween myself back off of keto to carry on with a healthy diet and a solid workout plan.
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    My general eating plan right now is as follows:

Breakfast: 2 sausage egg 'muffins'. I cook pork sausage, and divide it into a muffin tin (12 cups). Scramble 14 eggs and pour over sausage. Bake, 20 mins. No carbs. Lots of protein and portable. Just heat in the microwave for a minute. I top with cheese.

OMG I am SOOO trying this tonight!! Sounds awesome and I'm always looking for something for breakfast! Thanks!!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to reiterate that I'm not looking to this for life--I want to get a head start on my weight loss, and then I'll be converting over to a normal and healthy diet with plenty of exercise. This is just a temporary thing.

Therefore it is not sustainable and you very well might gain the weight back. I'm not being mean, I'm being realistic. I speak from experience. I have done the "I'll do this until I lose the weight", lost the weight, went back to eating normally and gained it all back and then some. Not right away but after about 5 years, yup.

This is why we are all saying you need to find something you can do FOR LIFE. Lifestyle sustainable changes. You need to learn to eat whatever you love in moderation. You need to learn portion control. If you do not, you will gain the weight back. Fact.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I added to the original post that I'm looking for MORE calories--I'm not trying to starve myself.

That is good.

But why ketogenic?

Wanting to kick start my weigh loss with a high weight drop before I slowly ween myself back off of keto to carry on with a healthy diet and a solid workout plan.

Why do something that isn't sustainable for like, ever?
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    The funny part is that I hate fatty foods--I'd almost rather be vegetarian like my girlfriend is, but I guess the biggest reason I'm doing this is because I want to drop pounds but don't want to wait it out for two years. I'd rather be working out, lifting, jogging, and eating a healthier diet, but I have no idea where to turn.

You've already turned to the right place. There's no need for an extremely restrictive diet. Put your numbers into your MFP profile, log accurately and hit your numbers. Then get out and exercise! You'll not only lose the weight, but you'll keep it off and be healthier in long run.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

That is good.

But why ketogenic?

Why do something that isn't sustainable for like, ever?

That's crazy talk. :tongue:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to reiterate that I'm not looking to this for life--I want to get a head start on my weight loss, and then I'll be converting over to a normal and healthy diet with plenty of exercise. This is just a temporary thing.

IMO the best way thing to do is to start as you mean to go on and learn how to eat healthy balanced meals, with portion control right from the start.... Quick fixes and temporary diets DONT WORK.

Plenty of fruit, veg, lean protein... And the odd treat - 80% good stuff 20% cake/ice cream/whatever your treat of choice is.

You said you wanted help, so there's mine. Good luck!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

That is good.

But why ketogenic?

With this mentality welcome to the world of yo yo dieting, when you want to get serious and stop looking for quick fix go read the links I gave you.
  • Triplesget
    Options

IMO the best way thing to do is to start as you mean to go on and learn how to eat healthy balanced meals, with portion control right from the start.... Quick fixes and temporary diets DONT WORK.

Plenty of fruit, veg, lean protein... And the odd treat - 80% good stuff 20% cake/ice cream/whatever your treat of choice is.

You said you wanted help, so there's mine. Good luck!

I really do appreciate these recommendations like this--thank you.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    You need to eat WAY more! Curious, why are you deciding this is the way to lose weight?

Following the plan you have currently outlined, I see a few miserable days for you and your family, and then you giving up because it's not sustainable.

I'd have to agree.

I've been eating a Ketogenic diet for over a year now & even though I don't log, when I did, my day never looked like yours listed above.

When I first started, I eased back into my lifting program after I got accustomed to how my body felt. You will feel very VERY different & in order to be able to fuel your exercise, you'll need to know when to increase calories & how.

If this is not something you plan to do for a lifestyle change, I strongly suggest you choose something else like Atkins. Cutting carbs makes you sensitive to them & you'll find ALL the weight will come back when you go back to eating a SAD.

bear in mind I'l a small 5' tall 125# Asian woman, my days sort of look like this:

about 5am in the morning: bulletproof coffee with coconut oil, half & half, & kerrygold butter, sucralose

when I feel hungry, usually around 11am, I might have a salad with chopped chicken, blue cheese dressing, bacon bits, feta cheese, etc.

I'm usually good until 3 pm or so, at that point, I have cocoa tea with coconut oil & kerrygold and then I'm off to the gym.
    All compound exercises.

Dinner will be soup or tuna salad, a burger without the bun & a salad, etc.

My husband eats the same stuff, just more of it. Salami, bacon, cheese...um...yeah. Fat is my friend.
  • monolith66
    monolith66 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Nothing comes easily. Fast weight loss = fast weight gain. Your haste is understandable but it's the wrong approach and mindset and will ultimately lead to failure.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    Dude, I am a 52year old, peri-menopausal, 5"4' woman. I started MFP at 232lbs. I have lost 50lbs at a rate of 3lb/mo by eating about 1400-1800 cals per day (depending on amount of daily exercise). My macros are set at 40C/30P/30F. And it is SUSTAINABLE!!

What you are attempting if foolhardy and will probably not result in any true success. You may really want to re-think your weight loss strategy if you are interested in lasting success.

ETA: but you are 19 and probably know everything, so I doubt you will consider any of the very valuable suggestions you have been offered. Good luck.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Also, have to point out: no medical insurance + not a lot of money = I probably won't be able to see a doctor or dietitian, which is why I'm here right now. Otherwise, I would have found a doctor like someone advised earlier.

Look. MFP is free. Eat at the calorie level it suggests - it works.

There is TONS of free advice on here - start reading through here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

You top 6'. It's not going to take you 2 years to start looking good. You will have a noticeable change in 30 pounds and you'll look really good in a year - if you do it right. Ravaging your muscle and bone density isn't going to get you where you want to be.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I would add carbs. Seriously. Don't deprive yourself that way. You'll notice incredible changes just by following a common sense diet and burning more than you consume.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

That is good.

But why ketogenic?

You get a fast fat loss from a low calorie diet. Which, sensibly, is not what you actually plan on doing.

Absolute amounts of carbs don't matter for FAT loss.

Low carb diets deplete glycogen - a starch (i.e. a carbohydrate) that you body stores in muscle for immediate energy. The thing about glycogen is that it has water associated with it. Lots of water. So when you deplete glycogen pools you lose WATER weight. Not fat, water. Plus, in some cases, you'll have no energy, as no glycogen or carbs...

Thing about water weight, is it fluctuates anyway, and comes back as soon as you eat carbs again. So that initial ~10 lb loss isn't going to be permanent.

Some people do good on low carbs diets, so try it if you are dead set, but just know that any FAT loss is going to be from a calorie deficit, not from cutting carbs per se.

To lose FAT (not water), which I'd assume is what you really want, be on a reasonable calorie deficit. If the deficit is too big, you'll risk losing muscle mass too. Too small and you won't lose anything much. To help retain muscle mass (so your losses are fat, and not muscle), eat plenty of protein (think 1 g per lb lean body mass). And do some resistance/weight training.

If you go about this the right way from the beginning, you can build good new habits, lose weight at a reasonable rate, and end up where you want to be in a sustainable manner.

Start out wrong and you stand a high chance of getting frustrated, bingeing, throwing in the towel and ending up heavier than you are now.

Your call, of course, but the people here are trying to point you to the "sustainable" path. Read the sexypants links and the others provided and you'll be on your way!
  • Triplesget
    Options
    You need to eat WAY more! Curious, why are you deciding this is the way to lose weight?

Following the plan you have currently outlined, I see a few miserable days for you and your family, and then you giving up because it's not sustainable.

I'd have to agree.

I've been eating a Ketogenic diet for over a year now & even though I don't log, when I did, my day never looked like yours listed above.

When I first started, I eased back into my lifting program after I got accustomed to how my body felt. You will feel very VERY different & in order to be able to fuel your exercise, you'll need to know when to increase calories & how.

If this is not something you plan to do for a lifestyle change, I strongly suggest you choose something else like Atkins. Cutting carbs makes you sensitive to them & you'll find ALL the weight will come back when you go back to eating a SAD.

bear in mind I'l a small 5' tall 125# Asian woman, my days sort of look like this:

about 5am in the morning: bulletproof coffee with coconut oil, half & half, & kerrygold butter, sucralose

when I feel hungry, usually around 11am, I might have a salad with chopped chicken, blue cheese dressing, bacon bits, feta cheese, etc.

I'm usually good until 3 pm or so, at that point, I have cocoa tea with coconut oil & kerrygold and then I'm off to the gym.
    All compound exercises.

My husband eats the same stuff, just more of it. Salami, bacon, cheese...um...yeah. Fat is my friend.

Is there just no way to come off of a diet and work your way to a different, more lifestyle friendly diet? Is it just a 100% will absolutely gain all of the weight back thing?
  • hookilau
    Options
    Also, have to point out: no medical insurance + not a lot of money = I probably won't be able to see a doctor or dietitian, which is why I'm here right now. Otherwise, I would have found a doctor like someone advised earlier.

Look. MFP is free. Eat at the calorie level it suggests - it works.

There is TONS of free advice on here - start reading through here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

You top 6'. It's not going to take you 2 years to start looking good. You will have a noticeable change in 30 pounds and you'll look really good in a year - if you do it right. Ravaging your muscle and bone density isn't going to get you where you want to be.

I agree here too. I have a son your age, he chunks up pretty quick, like in a week of laying around playing video games lol!
    However, when he moves more than he sits around, the weight just falls off of him.

He doesn't eat Keto like his dad & I, he eats a regular diet, though I admit I push veggies on him haha!...waddaya want?! I'm his ma!!! :laugh:
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

I'd have to agree.

All compound exercises.

Is there just no way to come off of a diet and work your way to a different, more lifestyle friendly diet? Is it just a 100% will absolutely gain all of the weight back thing?

If you go for quick fixes and don't learn about portion control or moderation you are doing a disservice to yourself.
  • Triplesget
    Options

I'd have to agree.

All compound exercises.

If you go for quick fixes and don't learn about portion control or moderation you are doing a disservice to yourself.

What if I read up, plan this all out efficiently and clearly, and now how I'm going into this and how I'll come off of this? Them, could I be fine--if I'm doing this with a clear head and a focused plan of attack?
  • hookilau
    Options

There are ways, but it can be unduly complicated. You need to gradually increase your carbs when you decide to come off the diet.
    It can really mess with your head when you gain 10 pounds seemingly overnight adding back carbs.

You can look up carb cycling in the context of weight lifting....this may help give you an idea of how it goes. It's less restrictive than straight keto (I'm T2D that's why I eat this way) and will likely lend itself well to a lifestyle & weight training regimen you can stick to.

Compound exercises my friend! :drinker: