Critique My Keto Meal Plan?

Replies

• _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Read the sexy pants link. Please.

If you lose weight too quickly it's not healthy. It's not good. If you aren't getting the nutrients your body needs (protein, calcium) it will pull those things from other muscles (heart could be one), and calcium it will pull from your bones. I'm not trying to scare you this is what happens with quick fixes and fads. It doesn't fix anything.

Why wouldn't you want to start learning how to do this right from the start? Jwhite lost 112 lbs, she knows a little something about something.
  • akh1981
    akh1981 Posts: 67 Member
    My general eating plan right now is as follows:

Breakfast: 2 sausage egg 'muffins'. I cook pork sausage, and divide it into a muffin tin (12 cups). Scramble 14 eggs and pour over sausage. Bake, 20 mins. No carbs. Lots of protein and portable. Just heat in the microwave for a minute. I top with cheese.

OMG I am SOOO trying this tonight!! Sounds awesome and I'm always looking for something for breakfast! Thanks!!

I've done this before and added diced onions and bell peppers, as well as spinach. Tasty!!

OP.....it took you years to put the weight on, so stop looking for a quick fix to it. You say you want to do the ketogenic diet to jump start your weight loss.....but why? Chances are you will get frustrated with it and quit early. Jump start your weight loss by eating normal food (just less of it) and exercise. Even if you just start by walking around the block every evening, something is better than nothing. This has all been said by others on this thread, and we are all here to support you, which is why everyone is saying what they are saying. Good luck!!!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,777 Member
    What if I read up, plan this all out efficiently and clearly, and now how I'm going into this and how I'll come off of this? Them, could I be fine--if I'm doing this with a clear head and a focused plan of attack?

All your research and planning will be for naught if what you are attempting is not based on sustainability (even for 2-3 months), practicality and health.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    If you are 19, 6'3'', male and 315 pounds honestly man the fat would fly off you if you ate only 2400 calories a day.

There is ZERO reason to be as crazy aggressive as you are being and will guarentee to end in either self-harm of faliure.

Look. Let me put your stats into this calculator:

http://exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html

I'm putting in your info, saying you "rest" 14 hours a day and do "very light activity" 10 hours a day, very light activity basically being on your feet or typing at your keyboard. Not even including exercise at all.

Gives your BMR...the amount you would burn in a coma...at 2860 calories. Add on top of that the very sedentary amount of activity and you have 3,400 calories to maintain your weight.

If you ate 2400 calories...which will give you plenty of room to eat healthily and nutritiously AND be full....you would be at a 1000 calorie deficit which would be enough to be losing 2 pounds a week.

You can eat anything you'd like just as long as it adds up to 2400 calories AND you are getting your nutrients in.

What you set yourself up for in comparison is sheer insanity and will just murder your metabolism and health.

Its actually not hard. You count your calories, you make sure they add up to 2400....the end. You do that with some lean protein and vegetables in addition to any foods you enjoy and I guarentee you will be full on that.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    You need to eat WAY more! Curious, why are you deciding this is the way to lose weight?

Following the plan you have currently outlined, I see a few miserable days for you and your family, and then you giving up because it's not sustainable.

I'd have to agree.

I've been eating a Ketogenic diet for over a year now & even though I don't log, when I did, my day never looked like yours listed above.

When I first started, I eased back into my lifting program after I got accustomed to how my body felt. You will feel very VERY different & in order to be able to fuel your exercise, you'll need to know when to increase calories & how.

If this is not something you plan to do for a lifestyle change, I strongly suggest you choose something else like Atkins. Cutting carbs makes you sensitive to them & you'll find ALL the weight will come back when you go back to eating a SAD.

bear in mind I'l a small 5' tall 125# Asian woman, my days sort of look like this:

about 5am in the morning: bulletproof coffee with coconut oil, half & half, & kerrygold butter, sucralose

when I feel hungry, usually around 11am, I might have a salad with chopped chicken, blue cheese dressing, bacon bits, feta cheese, etc.

I'm usually good until 3 pm or so, at that point, I have cocoa tea with coconut oil & kerrygold and then I'm off to the gym.
    All compound exercises.

Dinner will be soup or tuna salad, a burger without the bun & a salad, etc.

My husband eats the same stuff, just more of it. Salami, bacon, cheese...um...yeah. Fat is my friend.

Is there just no way to come off of a diet and work your way to a different, more lifestyle friendly diet? Is it just a 100% will absolutely gain all of the weight back thing?

If you go for quick fixes and don't learn about portion control or moderation you are doing a disservice to yourself.

What if I read up, plan this all out efficiently and clearly, and now how I'm going into this and how I'll come off of this? Them, could I be fine--if I'm doing this with a clear head and a focused plan of attack?

But WHY?! That's what I don't get? If you're gonna research what it takes to do it normally (and you're big enough to support a huge cut, like 1000 calories if you're so inclined, which will still allow a perfectly normal diets) why not just do it that way?
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    If you are 19, 6'3'', male and 315 pounds honestly man the fat would fly off you if you ate only 2400 calories a day.

There is ZERO reason to be as crazy aggressive as you are being and will guarentee to end in either self-harm of faliure.

Look. Let me put your stats into this calculator:

http://exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html

I'm putting in your info, saying you "rest" 14 hours a day and do "light activity" 10 hours a day, light activity basically being on your feet or typing at your keyboard. Not even including exercise at all.

Gives your BMR...the amount you would burn in a coma...at 2860 calories. Add on top of that the very sedentary amount of activity and you have 3,400 calories to maintain your weight.

If you ate 2400 calories...which will give you plenty of room to eat healthily and nutritiously AND be full....you would be at a 1000 calorie deficit which would be enough to be losing 2 pounds a week.

You can eat anything you'd like just as long as it adds up to 2400 calories AND you are getting your nutrients in.

What you set yourself up for in comparison is sheer insanity and will just murder your metabolism and health.

Its actually not hard. You count your calories, you make sure they add up to 2400....the end.

QFT
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member

All your research and planning will be for naught if what you are attempting is not based on sustainability (even for 2-3 months), practicality and health.

Agreed.

But I'll tell you like I tell my kids, try it for yourself if you're hell-bent on it. MFP will always be here and you don't have to marry the idea of Keto. There's likely no harm in trying, it's not like you'll drop dead or anything from trying a new diet for a few weeks :laugh: right?!
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    You need to eat WAY more! Curious, why are you deciding this is the way to lose weight?

Following the plan you have currently outlined, I see a few miserable days for you and your family, and then you giving up because it's not sustainable.

I'd have to agree.

I've been eating a Ketogenic diet for over a year now & even though I don't log, when I did, my day never looked like yours listed above.

When I first started, I eased back into my lifting program after I got accustomed to how my body felt. You will feel very VERY different & in order to be able to fuel your exercise, you'll need to know when to increase calories & how.

If this is not something you plan to do for a lifestyle change, I strongly suggest you choose something else like Atkins. Cutting carbs makes you sensitive to them & you'll find ALL the weight will come back when you go back to eating a SAD.

bear in mind I'l a small 5' tall 125# Asian woman, my days sort of look like this:

about 5am in the morning: bulletproof coffee with coconut oil, half & half, & kerrygold butter, sucralose

when I feel hungry, usually around 11am, I might have a salad with chopped chicken, blue cheese dressing, bacon bits, feta cheese, etc.

I'm usually good until 3 pm or so, at that point, I have cocoa tea with coconut oil & kerrygold and then I'm off to the gym.
    All compound exercises.

Dinner will be soup or tuna salad, a burger without the bun & a salad, etc.

My husband eats the same stuff, just more of it. Salami, bacon, cheese...um...yeah. Fat is my friend.

Is there just no way to come off of a diet and work your way to a different, more lifestyle friendly diet? Is it just a 100% will absolutely gain all of the weight back thing?

If you go for quick fixes and don't learn about portion control or moderation you are doing a disservice to yourself.

But if you go about it "right" and get into ketosis in a healthy way with a reasonable calorie deficit, you won't lose the fat any faster than if you simply eat at a reasonable calorie deficit on a more "normal" macro ratio.

There is nothing about ketosis (or any other low carb diet plan) that is a magic quick fix for fat loss. All that BS you may have heard about insulin spikes making you store fat is just pure hookum.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Also, you are a 19-year old male.

If I was a 19-year old male, I would make a bee-line for the heavy weights, lift until I drop and keep a moderate deficit. If I had hungry days, I'd then eat to maintenance knowing that every extra calorie would be turned muscle by a body roaring with testosterone.
  • hookilau
    Also, you are a 19-year old male.

If I was a 19-year old male, I would make a bee-line for the heavy weights, lift until I drop and keep a moderate deficit. If I had hungry days, I'd then eat to maintenance knowing that every extra calorie would be turned muscle by a body roaring with testosterone.

Good GOD yes!!!
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    If you are looking to get back to a healthy, balanced eating approach, I know people pan it, but Atkin's offers a way to get back to something like that. It kind of works like the rungs on a ladder. Like the first rung is just protein, fat, and leafy veggies, very low carb diet. Then as you move up the rungs you add back in things like nuts, seeds, berries, plain greek yogurt, beans, sweet potatoes, etc. The rationale behind it is that ketogenic diets are very appetite suppressing. So when you start out, you eat what you want of the allowed foods, then, as your appetite shrinks and you grow accustomed to what people would call normal portion sizes, you start adding back in more healthy carbs. Kind of tricks you through that first few week period where your stomach is super mad at you for not feeding it anymore.

Unless you have a jacked up metabolic problem. Which as a 19 year old male you shouldn't.
  • TutuMom41
    TutuMom41 Posts: 278 Member
    eating carbs will take you out of ketosis. Many of the foods you mention have carbs
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,777 Member
    If you are looking to get back to a healthy, balanced eating approach, I know people pan it, but Atkin's offers a way to get back to something like that. It kind of works like the rungs on a ladder. Like the first rung is just protein, fat, and leafy veggies, very low carb diet. Then as you move up the rungs you add back in things like nuts, seeds, berries, plain greek yogurt, beans, sweet potatoes, etc. The rationale behind it is that ketogenic diets are very appetite suppressing. So when you start out, you eat what you want of the allowed foods, then, as your appetite shrinks and you grow accustomed to what people would call normal portion sizes, you start adding back in more healthy carbs. Kind of tricks you through that first few week period where your stomach is super mad at you for not feeding it anymore.

Unless you have a jacked up metabolic problem. Which as a 19 year old male you shouldn't.

Unless you attempt a VLCD. Oh, but wait.....
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Keto and exercise imo isn't a great combination, keto works well if you're sedentary. The lack of carbs is really going to make you feel depleted and unenergetic.

Not true. I eat keto style and I workout. I can get through my workouts just fine.
  • jwooley13
    jwooley13 Posts: 243
    I agree with others that suggest you eat more. Lots more. With a lot to lose, you can certainly eat much more and still lose at a very good pace.

As an aside, if keto is how you really want to pursue this, you need to approach it as a lifestyle change. I know a lot of people that have been very successful with this diet, but every single one of them (including myself) has gained some or all of the weight back. If you're choosing this as a lifestyle, then go for it. However, if you're thinking "I'll do keto for a couple months then stop" then maybe you might want to rethink your game plan. Just my two cents.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Unbelievable!!! :noway:

OP: Just eat at a reasonable deficit and exercise!! Good luck and hope you make the right choice. :ohwell:
  • Triplesget
    Triplesget Posts: 66

Thank you! I'll check more into Atkins for my coming off period. Id already looked into it before, but never quite looked at it in that way.

Also, I'm almost convinced that I might have a metabolic problem. I can't really reach a doctor to find out, but after having tried "reasonable" diets before, for up to a year at times, I just don't see or get any change. It's frustrating.
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member

Unless you attempt a VLCD. Oh, but wait.....

Spending a few weeks eating protein and vegetables isn't going to kill anyone's metabolism, as long as they eat sufficient calories. There's a guy on here who posted pictures of his girlfriend a while back, maybe a year ago who was in competition level fitness shape, beautiful muscles. Know what she ate? Mostly protein and vegetables. It really isn't going to kill him I promise. The 500 calories a day might. But not eating just protein and vegetables.
  • Triplesget
    Triplesget Posts: 66
    I agree with others that suggest you eat more. Lots more. With a lot to lose, you can certainly eat much more and still lose at a very good pace.

As an aside, if keto is how you really want to pursue this, you need to approach it as a lifestyle change. I know a lot of people that have been very successful with this diet, but every single one of them (including myself) has gained some or all of the weight back. If you're choosing this as a lifestyle, then go for it. However, if you're thinking "I'll do keto for a couple months then stop" then maybe you might want to rethink your game plan. Just my two cents.

Thank you. Honestly, I'm approaching this as "I'm going to try this to see where it goes." I want to see what results I'll get from it, instead of just knocking it without even the slightest attempt. That'd just be ignorant.
  • hookilau
    Keto and exercise imo isn't a great combination, keto works well if you're sedentary. The lack of carbs is really going to make you feel depleted and unenergetic.

Not true. I eat keto style and I workout. I can get through my workouts just fine.

Agreed. Though some folks just DON'T do well on Keto & I think that's where some of the negativity stems from.

I'm on it for life, and I'm FAR from sedentary.

I eased in back my training program as I became accustomed to how my body felt. I was concerned with being able to consume enough calories because as someone else already stated, I just wasn't feeling hungry.

The last thing I wanted to do was fail in the middle of a squat :blushing: After about a month of getting used to the new me, new diet etc. I started lifting again.