Bananas are killing my macros

Options

Replies

• AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I tried taking fruit out of my diet to go low-carb, it was pretty much the dumbest thing I've ever done.

Not only did I not lose any weight, I got sick for the first time in years and missed two days of work, had to use two vacation days to lay in bed with a cold.

Any diet that cuts out fruit is stupid.

I went back to Paleo and couldn't be happier. Still haven't lost any weight since Jan (all this happened this year) but at least I'm healthy again.

Low-carb (under 20 net carbs a day for 6 weeks) made me feel weak, fatigued, hungry, hangry, emotional and had no effect on my weight at all. Neither did calorie restriction, in all fairness.
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I say if you enjoy bananas, eat bananas.

I often go over my carbs because of fruit. It hasn't affected me in any negative way.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of things you can do.....drop the rice at lunch and eat the banana then.....Drop the tortillas at dinner and add something else in (maybe some protein/fat source) to fill out the calories. I know this will sound harsh, but bananas don't kill your macros, you make choices that are not optimal for your current macro goals. You can easily chose to drop one of your high carb sources for another macro source or even that you are going to have a higher carb % and reduce the fat and or protein. Decide what is important to you and what you really want to eat in the day and go from there. Bananas are great nutrition and you shouldn't have to feel like you are sacrificing the things you enjoy for the sake of hitting a macro number. All things can fit if you plan and work them into your goals.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana almost every morning. It's delicious, filling, but man does it kill my carb intake for the day.

Fruit constitutes most of my carbs for the day, especially if I eat an apple in the afternoons.

Usual carb additions throughout the day include brown rice, whole wheat tortillas and a fiber granola bar. Usually, I need these to meet my calorie goal.

Just wondering if anyone else has run in to this problem, and want to know if you reduced your fruit in take, or you just said to hell with it.

It wasn't until I eliminated all carbs except low-starch veggies that my fat loss took off running. I eat no grains (i.e., no bread, tortillas, zip), no fruit, just veggies for my carb source. I eat 2 servings of veggies for Lunch and also again at dinner. This keeps my carbs to about 30-40g for the day. And 1g protein for each pound of lean body mass. When I get to my goal weight, I'll re-introduce some fruits to my diet. But they do nothing to hasten fat loss. Check my diary for examples.

If you don't mind me asking, where do you get your potassium from? It's one reason I keep fruit in my diet.

Veggies are packed with potassium
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana almost every morning. It's delicious, filling, but man does it kill my carb intake for the day.

Fruit constitutes most of my carbs for the day, especially if I eat an apple in the afternoons.

Usual carb additions throughout the day include brown rice, whole wheat tortillas and a fiber granola bar. Usually, I need these to meet my calorie goal.

Just wondering if anyone else has run in to this problem, and want to know if you reduced your fruit in take, or you just said to hell with it.

It wasn't until I eliminated all carbs except low-starch veggies that my fat loss took off running. I eat no grains (i.e., no bread, tortillas, zip), no fruit, just veggies for my carb source. I eat 2 servings of veggies for Lunch and also again at dinner. This keeps my carbs to about 30-40g for the day. And 1g protein for each pound of lean body mass. When I get to my goal weight, I'll re-introduce some fruits to my diet. But they do nothing to hasten fat loss. Check my diary for examples.

If you don't mind me asking, where do you get your potassium from? It's one reason I keep fruit in my diet.

Veggies are packed with potassium

Okay, thanks. I'm still not eating a wide enough variety, then. I track them and double check other sites in case an entry here didn't get the potassium added, but without raisins and bananas, I still don't get enough for the week. Not saying I'm giving up either for now, since I'm losing weight steadily, but it's still time for me to go do some more research and add some new foods.

I draw the line at kale, though. Kale is a garnish.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Love bananas. Used to be scared of eating them because it would "throw off my carbs" or calories for the day. Then I realized how stupid I sounded saying I was scared to eat a banana. I love fruit. Don't care how many carbs.
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    If what you are doing is working, why change it? Eat the banana...until you stall out, then consider changes.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Potatoes have more potassium than bananas...oh wait, there's carbs there too. Carrots are good for potassium too...damn, sugar. Greens it is then.
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Potatoes have more potassium than bananas...oh wait, there's carbs there too. Carrots are good for potassium too...damn, sugar. Greens it is then.

Screw it. I'll go on the all kale diet.

All kale. All the time.
  • JoeDenison
    JoeDenison Posts: 18 Member
    Options

Beef, chicken and low-starch vegetables are all great sources of potassium -- but without the unnecessary carbs. On a calorie restriction it's difficult for anyone to get the 4,700mg minimum rda. I also supplement with a powder potassium citrate, 800mg 3x daily (add it to drinks). Doing this under supervision of a Dr and I perform regular lab tests. Note: MFP food entries rarely have accurate micro-nutrient values...some do, but absence of potassium info doesn't mean the item has none! So it is good you check alternate sources. Most often you can just google "foodname potassium" and it will show you the amount in a serving. (works for other nutrients as well)

I also do short duration high-intensity strength workouts 3x weekly and HIIT cardio 3x weekly, alternating strength/cardio days. When I was eating fruits, sweet potatoes and whole grain rice, my weight loss had plateaued, even with calorie restriction. After I cut them out, and now get all my carbs from healthy vegetables, the weight loss resumed (at a very nice pace -- 2+ lbs. weekly).

It takes a couple of weeks to acclimate to a low-carb (ketogenic) diet. Most people have their bodies used to running mostly on glucose, and so they have to constantly eat carbs. If you want to hasten fat loss, you have to switch it over to burning fat instead. When first starting low-carb, people often report a horrible energy crash, even cold/flu-like symptoms and they just give up. But they don't realize that's a normal process during the switchover to burning fat, our bodies were designed to switch to burning fat when under a calorie restriction. And that's exactly what you want to do to lose your fat. Sometimes new things make you feel worse before you feel better ... a similar thing happens when you begin a new workout: you might have some aches and pains. But do you stop? Only if you don't know any better and think that continued workouts will just cause it to get worse. But we all know they don't. I believe the same applies to the low-carb eating.

Once you are at your optimal weight, you can eat a moderate amount of fruit and other carbs, so long as you don't overdo it in individual servings, and you won't gain fat. Fruits and starchy carbs are good for you in moderation, they have many nutrients that are healthy. But eating them when trying to lose fat is simply subverting the natural fat-burning process...you can still lose weight while eating fruits and other carbs, but it will not hasten the fat loss.

I've read posts in this thread stating "cutting fruit is stupid" and "it's recommended xx% of carbs...in your daily diet". They believe they are correct, but for me I have proven otherwise with my experience, and my results confirm -- both through weight loss and the positive results revealed in lab tests -- that fruits and other starchy carbs are unnecessary and are counter productive to a fat loss endeavor.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

All kale. All the time.

that would make me a belemic.

all kale.

all vomit.

LOL

might lose weight though if I could keep my teeth from falling out of my face.
  • amandzor
    Options

All kale. All the time.

all kale.

all vomit.

LOL

Less teeth = less weight.

Anyone on the meth diet knows that!
  • rorieran
    rorieran Posts: 13
    Options
    I also used to have a banana every morning in my shake and not give it a second thought - but then the sugar issue came into play also. I know bananas are good for you too - so I've just cut back to 1/2 a banana. I've started cutting them in slices and freezing them so I don't waste anything, so I can just toss them in my shake and I'm good to go!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

All kale. All the time.

all kale.

all vomit.

LOL

I guess it depends on if I'm drinking beer all the time or not.

I'm not sure - I've never mixed my beer and meth!!! I'll have to try that next time.
  • amandzor
    Options

All kale. All the time.

all kale.

all vomit.

LOL

I guess it depends on if I'm drinking beer all the time or not.

I'm not sure - I've never mixed my beer and meth!!! I'll have to try that next time.

fp829i.gif
  • lemonmon1
    lemonmon1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Eat bananas. If the vast majority of your carbs are coming from fresh fruits and vegetables, you have nothing to worry about. You can change your MFP goals too. MFP thinks you need tons more protein than you actually do. It's fine to eat good carbs instead! Limit your grains, not your fruit! You'd be better off eating two bananas for breakfast and skipping the yogurt anyway. Dairy is a digestive destructor!
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Eat bananas. If the vast majority of your carbs are coming from fresh fruits and vegetables, you have nothing to worry about. You can change your MFP goals too. MFP thinks you need tons more protein than you actually do. It's fine to eat good carbs instead! Limit your grains, not your fruit! You'd be better off eating two bananas for breakfast and skipping the yogurt anyway. Dairy is a digestive destructor!

Just about everything you said is completely wrong...
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options

Beef, chicken and low-starch vegetables are all great sources of potassium -- but without the unnecessary carbs. On a calorie restriction it's difficult for anyone to get the 4,700mg minimum rda. I also supplement with a powder potassium citrate, 800mg 3x daily (add it to drinks). Doing this under supervision of a Dr and I perform regular lab tests. Note: MFP food entries rarely have accurate micro-nutrient values...some do, but absence of potassium info doesn't mean the item has none! So it is good you check alternate sources. Most often you can just google "foodname potassium" and it will show you the amount in a serving. (works for other nutrients as well)

I also do short duration high-intensity strength workouts 3x weekly and HIIT cardio 3x weekly, alternating strength/cardio days. When I was eating fruits, sweet potatoes and whole grain rice, my weight loss had plateaued, even with calorie restriction. After I cut them out, and now get all my carbs from healthy vegetables, the weight loss resumed (at a very nice pace -- 2+ lbs. weekly).

It takes a couple of weeks to acclimate to a low-carb (ketogenic) diet. Most people have their bodies used to running mostly on glucose, and so they have to constantly eat carbs. If you want to hasten fat loss, you have to switch it over to burning fat instead. When first starting low-carb, people often report a horrible energy crash, even cold/flu-like symptoms and they just give up. But they don't realize that's a normal process during the switchover to burning fat, our bodies were designed to switch to burning fat when under a calorie restriction. And that's exactly what you want to do to lose your fat. Sometimes new things make you feel worse before you feel better ... a similar thing happens when you begin a new workout: you might have some aches and pains. But do you stop? Only if you don't know any better and think that continued workouts will just cause it to get worse. But we all know they don't. I believe the same applies to the low-carb eating.

Once you are at your optimal weight, you can eat a moderate amount of fruit and other carbs, so long as you don't overdo it in individual servings, and you won't gain fat. Fruits and starchy carbs are good for you in moderation, they have many nutrients that are healthy. But eating them when trying to lose fat is simply subverting the natural fat-burning process...you can still lose weight while eating fruits and other carbs, but it will not hasten the fat loss.

I've read posts in this thread stating "cutting fruit is stupid" and "it's recommended xx% of carbs...in your daily diet". They believe they are correct, but for me I have proven otherwise with my experience, and my results confirm -- both through weight loss and the positive results revealed in lab tests -- that fruits and other starchy carbs are unnecessary and are counter productive to a fat loss endeavor.

I did low carb and lost a lot of weight on it. But I've gone vegan for ethical reasons. If I start to feel like a weak, sickly pile of crap, I'll go back to low carb. Self-preservation is still my ultimate imperative.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Dairy is perfectly fine for people who don't have issues with it.
  • ATGsquats
    ATGsquats Posts: 227 Member
    Options

All kale. All the time.

You'll fail