Need help with hubbie and kids, please

Options

Replies

• xShreddx
    xShreddx Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    in for ideas, as we're in a similar boat at my house and I need all the ideas I can get .

Not to hijack too terribly but does anyone have any ideas for approaching this with a "we have no health insurance and can't afford the hundreds of dollars it would take to get family counseling or make multiple trips to a dietician" caveat? I know, the most logical answer is "then you can't afford to buy the junk foods either," and I don't, but D(amn) Hubby always seems to find a way...

There can be no cost to dieting and exercising. With all the fancy plans, pills and programs, simply eating less calories than you burn equals weight loss.
  • awomaninsane
    awomaninsane Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I think both you and hubby have played a part in this; your hubby for buying the junk and you for serving up too big a portion size. You both need to work together now in addressing how to move forward as you are at a point where you have no choice now other than to sort this out or your sons are going to get really ill. I think tough love is the way to go (my opinion, maybe not shared by others)
    My eldest started to look a bit chunky a while ago and we subtly approached the issue with her but to no avail. In the end we told her that if she carried on snacking between meals she'd get too big and become unwell. We then ditched the crap and substituted for better snacks and now in my house my kids only eat what i buy and that includes treats, in moderation. She looks great now and our tough approach has had no ill effect on her emotionally and certainly not physically.

You've got to find your commitment and motivation to change and stick at it. Good luck.
  • Annesoucy1957
    Options
    Your kids are old enough to understand that their health is at stake. Let the doctor first explain the consequences and reassure them that they can do something about it. They must be willing to change in order to succeed.

Your husband is an adult and well that is his choice to be the way he is, he is not a good exemple for the kids but so is half the population.

Register them in activities where the fact that they are overweight make them struggle, nothing like being out of breath to realise that something must be done specially when you see every one around you running and not suffering from it.

Change their food gradually by adapting your recipes to a healthier version, keep fruits and vegetable around and also healthier snack food.

You be the adult and preach by exemple

Good luck
  • maylinglai
    Options
    I think your family is very fortunate to have someone who is concerned enough to post for solutions and ask for help. I think it's admirable that you stay strong and not get overwhelmed by it. My brother just dropped 50 lbs over 1 year. He has 30 left to go but is well on his way.

I think gross obesity - barring any hormonal issue - can often be a symptom of something else. I'm not talking about that little extra belly fat. I'm talking about 75%+ and 10+ sizes over what the high end of healthy weight for a person should be. In my brother's situation it was a very obvious personal problem. Once he came to resolution on that, it was easy for him to look at his circumstance and then adjust. For others I have known, it might be stress of work, or being overwhelmed with a similar family situation, etc. As the mom, you likely know if any of this is relevant.

If it's not, the actual "things" my brother did might be helpful. The first thing he did was start doing active stuff. He found exercises and positive encouragement and empowerment (via a caring personal trainer). I came over and had him donate all processed food. When I mean, all, I mean, our church got a gigantic donation to its soup kitchen. Soda was banned, even diet soda and juice, which often just supplements a sweet tooth craving and makes you miss sweets even more.

We replaced all of these things with low calorie but tasty options. There are a ton of zero calorie snacks that you could eat forever and not gain a pound (beets, pickles, terriaki seaweed snacks, carrots (watch the salad dressing)etc).

He then got rid of the video games and was only allowed to play them if he exercised his minimum hour per day. He chose what was his exercise. Aps like Myfitnespal turn weightloss into a game, so that was somewhat fun. He also preferenced muscle building exercises at first (because a lot of cardio was simply too difficult for him). As the weight came off, we started to do more cardio, which was made easier by the muscle build. He was allowed a treat only if he worked out over and beyond, but even then, there were incentives to not have the treat (i.e. if instead I lose 2 sizes) then I will buy myself this awesome thing. He cared about sizes only vs. weight for the first 3 months.

As for food, portion control is important. Also, a lot of people don't actually know what "healthy" is. While it's important to have all the food groups, some of the actual stuff that Myfitnesspal records on the nutrients is more important when losing weight. For example, most people don't get enough fiber. Fiber is HUGE in weightloss, though most people - because the US diet just doesn't have any fiber, i.e. 5g vs. 25g/ day is common. If you replace a lot of the volume of food with fiber rich options, instead of protein rich, you'd be really surprised, what happens to your weight loss.

Good luck to you and stay positive, hopeful, and empowering.
  • raholden88
    raholden88 Posts: 34
    Options
    This sounds like emotional eating and it can't just be blamed on the foods. I know from experience. Here's my two cents, as I have the background in this exact problem. I grew up in a similar situation.

Dad bought junk food, mom tried cooking healthy meals, and when she worked three jobs to support us and my dad wouldn't cook, we all resorted to sittting on the couch eating Hungrymen watching television, then had buckets of ice cream and cookies for dessert, and then would retire to our own worlds with television, computer, and video games to escape the humdrum of our day to day lives. Especially myself. I was at my heaviest at sixteen or seventeen maybe 225-240 at 6 feet tall or so. I was depressed all the time. Didn't play sports, had no friends, etc. Sat in my room all day eating and playing games to pass the time away. This lasted up until I graduated high school. My sister at least had her dancing and softball so she maintained ok health.

Going in to college, and after my parents separation, I'd learned to start cooking for myself, had to do all my own laundry and started caring more for the animals we owned and for myself out of habit and need. I still ate a lot of junk, but I'd learned to cook the meals my mom would have cooked for us, and me and my sister started to manage a bit better once my dad moved out as well and we started paying and working for all of our own food and bills etc living where we grew up, renting out our aunts downstairs apartment. We planned better, spent better, ate better. Change required patience, and understanding, and our own maturity. We had to learn to take it on oursleves to change.

So what can I contribute from experience to your cause? Now I have outgrown that time, marrying a sweet caring girl soon, having our own house, and working and striving to build a better life for myself and her. Looking back, I see everything I could have done differently...but I've been able to make the changes here, now, and for the future.

I've lost nearly 60 pounds since I started 6 months ago. All I've done is watched what I ate, actively tried to better myself, thought more deeply about my life and my health, and bought a FitBit to monitor my steps and give me that extra motivation for change. I don't go crazy at the gym, I do nothing more than the occasional stretching and yoga and walk my dog together with my fiance for 20-30 minutes every night. I try to understand my past, all to better my future.

I don't have time for the video games as much anymore as an adult, but mostly, I don't need them as my escape anymore. I'm not depressed anymore. I'm happy and healthy. This is what you want for your family. Here's how I think you can start getting there.

1.) Get FitBits if you can afford them, at least for the kids. They're fun, engaging, and sync with smart phones. It appeals to the gamer in me, if I make it a game. Getting more steps, being more active, seeing the effort equal reward gets me going.

2.) If you have a dog, take it for a walk as a family. It promotes bonding, raises mood, and gets you more steps and activity. Do this especially after dinner. 15-20 minute walk around the block after dinner is enough to make a huge difference. If you don't have a dog, go for walks as a family anyway. Try to add something extra to it. Walk to a coffee shop, a convenient store, or somewhere fun for the family. Reward the walking at first with something to motivate them, besides the activity itself.

3.) Worry less about the foods but the amounts. I still eat crap here and there, still have coffees with cream and sugar, oreos, ice cream, etc...but I portion it, I devalue it as being rewards...I just eat what I crave when I crave it, but just enough that I am satisfied. Being less depressed means I'm satisfied more easily.

4.) You can't force this on them. They need to choose it and actively engage in it. I wish my parents had taken the time to acknowledge I had a problem. But I know I would've resented it, and rebelled against it, and been depressed to be called out on it. Being a teenager is hard, we know this. We know the pain and fear and the feeling of self doubt. Our parents have to support us, not call us out on our short comings. So the only way I could picture it going for myself...is if I went at it from an adult point of view... which is why I suggest going about it this way.

SIT DOWN...as a family...discuss it with your husband first, but sit down as a family at dinner, and before you eat, discuss it.

Dinner together as a family is bonding. Eating is not a sport or a reward, it's just food. But the time spent together is the reward. Discuss how cooking together is rewarding, discuss how, right now, change can't happen over night...but that change should happen...and it can, gradually. Discuss trying to be more active, just a little even, and how before they know it, things will improve. They might not know it, see how, but it will.

When I started, I doubted everyday. Now, now that my mind has had time to reshape itself (which like an addict, it takes time to recover going cold turkey on addictions, and food can be an addiction), it has healed, and my view on food and myself has changed...

They're unhealthy...they need change...and as their mother, yes, it is your responsibility to see them start towards making this change...but you need to get them to see that for themselves. So just present your case...hell use me, this site, our support, as an example... we want what is best for ourselves, and for others, when they seek our help...

Give them the tools to help themselves, get them to see the value in those tools, and get them slowly building towards reshaping themselves... if that's what they want...not because its what they need...

Maybe they too, when they're older, and getting married, will take it on themselves to change. They're young, they have time. I regret not changing sooner...but I found time eventually. Was it too late...only time will tell. But I already feel better and happier.

Good luck with everything. Friend me, message me, if you have any questions. I think I could be of help. I still have that fat, depressed teen inside. I can always ask him for some more advice and pass it along.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    in for ideas, as we're in a similar boat at my house and I need all the ideas I can get .

Not to hijack too terribly but does anyone have any ideas for approaching this with a "we have no health insurance and can't afford the hundreds of dollars it would take to get family counseling or make multiple trips to a dietician" caveat? I know, the most logical answer is "then you can't afford to buy the junk foods either," and I don't, but D(amn) Hubby always seems to find a way...

There can be no cost to dieting and exercising. With all the fancy plans, pills and programs, simply eating less calories than you burn equals weight loss.

Oh I know it. I have lost 78 pounds the "no cost, eat less-move more" way. Hubby just doesn't seem to be interested and continues to bring *kitten* food into the house, which he and the kids consume in great quantities. The kids have learned not to ask me for snacks because I say "sure, have an apple or some grapes; a cheese stick. Or ONE SERVING of crackers," whereas hubby will say "yeah have some cookies" or "yeah there's fudge bars in the freezer" without setting a limit on HOW MANY they can have. I'm not opposed to cookies or fudge bars but for christsake you have to put limits on kids because if you say "have some cookies" they'll take six instead of two (at least my kids will) and try as I might I can't get him (husband) to give enough of a damn. It's making me seriously lose my mind some days. *I* have the commitment and motivation and have indeed made changes but it takes both of the adults in the home being on the same page...and my husband is apparently reading a completely different book.
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I invested in xbox kinnect and wii so my children are very active we also have giant trampoline and i enrolled them in swimming lessons my boyfriend sounds like your hubby though so i cook i do all the shopping and i throw in treats that they can choose 1 a day it is a bit OTT but i love them all and if that's what it takes im on it!!!!
  • marquel622
    marquel622 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I think it is important that when you talk to them about any of this that you focus just on your concern for their health, and maybe you work on one person at time, starting with your son with the health issues. Meet with the doctor and have the doctor talk to him about his health and then met with a nutritionist so that you can get some support and help dealing with his specific problems. Maybe when is brother and dad see him losing weight and getting in shape it will inspire them. Sometimes our journey leads us to a place where we have to do for others and you need to put more energy into your boys and encouraging them to move more.
  • MegE_N
    MegE_N Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    All I can say is that it's very good you're concerned.

My mother was thin as a rail and my father over 300lbs while I was growing up. He'd clear 3 plates at dinner in the time it took me to clear one. Being an idiot child, I started to 'race' my father in my head, seeing if I could eat as much as quickly. That's been my relationship with food - big portions and fast. I don't know what my mother may have done to try and work on this (granted, I was still a skinny skinny kid at the time so she likely didn't know there was a problem) but around the same time my dad started calling me fat as a way to try and dissuade me.

And here I am trying to lose 100lbs. So ... it's very good you're trying to step in. But I would highly recommend against using any negative reinforcement. For me, I was always my healthiest when I was busy and when I wasn't I would sit at home and play games and snack. That's how I got really heavy. So maybe try to keep them busy as much as possible?
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's important to focus on the kids. It's likely that they don't have a clue about how much they are eating and as someone else said, if you can afford something like a fitbit it could be helpful. All of the electronic devices are becoming extremely popular, so maybe it wouldn't be too hard a sell. A weight training program probably wouldn't be a hard sell either. Losing weight and improving eating will help the IBS for sure.
    Good luck. It's so hard to express concern without seeming like a nag, but you are leading by example, and that's terrific.
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Funny thing is, the meals we cook I think are healthy (for the most part), and some of it is probably portion control. So maybe I'll make less so they can't come back for seconds. Problem is, I use leftovers for my lunches!

I'm scared to death about off of their health, so keep the suggestions coming? I really appreciate the support.

I'm no expert on this, since my husband and kids are constantly active and don't need to think about their weight, but I watch other families with similar problems as yours, and I think you're onto something!

If you could make "just enough" of the more calorie dense foods (so that they don't get the feeling that they're on a diet) and then plenty of low-cal or high fiber foods to fill them up, I wonder if it would help? Sometimes, I think we have the tendency to eat just because it's there instead of pushing back from the table when we're full.

Also, if you could come up with an active hobby that your family can enjoy together, maybe that would be helpful.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Communication. You need to turn off the tv, get the kids away for the weekend and talk. Starting with how much you love him. Sometimes you have to take their face in both hands and say " Darling, I adore you but we have a major problem". We are killing our kids with our family eating habits. I can't do this without you. We need to sit here and negotiate and commit to what our new family eating guidelines are. If he doesn't believe that he is part of the process he won't be on board. Sounds like you are very reasonable. You need to listen to what his fears about this process are. Together you can decide what the new rules are. Maybe he wants dessert every day or maybe just a cheat day in the week. What will be purchased and stored in the house is a joint decision. My husband is a thin athlete and I was obese when we married. I don't like sweets but I was often given them at the office so I would bring them home. My husband asked me nicely twice to never bring that into the house. His trigger food is sweets. The third time I brought them home he was very angry. At first I was offended but then he reminded me " you promised not to do this, I would never bring a bag of Chips into this house because I promised not to bring your trigger foods home". Together you need to design this. Encourage him to get to a doc and get labs with hgba1c and maybe abdominal US to check his liver. As a former obese person it sounds like maybe he has some depression and is medicating with food. Never withhold sex unless you plan to divorce. The marital bed is sacred and the place where you remind each other of the meaning of Life. I actually recommend more sex. The whole point is for you both to dandle grand babies on your laps and spend many wonderful years together in health. Not to spend all your money on preventable family health issues. If you still can't get him on board you have a marital issue and need marital counseling. My best friend finally had to divorce her husband because he refused to get help with his depression. She tried for 2 yrs but she couldn't save a man who wanted to eat and drink himself to death and she couldn't keep her child in that environment. She still talks to him every week and never barred access to their child. She said he wouldn't or couldn't choose us. He basically checked out of the marriage. He is 400 lb alcoholic and has many health issues. She fears the day she will get the call about his death because it will break her daughters heart. Her daughter has graduated from university and is healthy and athletic with a good relationship with food and alcohol. Communicate, but start with listening to him first. Write a contract so there is no "forgetting" what "we" agreed to. Sounds silly I know but we did the same thing when we became debt free. We decided the budget and we committed in writing to stick to it.
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't confront your husband directly. Drop little hints like looking at his dinner plant and sighing, or constantly reminding him of how big he his compared to his wedding picture. Also, withhold sex.

NOT THIS!!!

If you are able to cook most meals for everyone that is the best place to start. Also, maybe take walks as a family?
    My hubby is a SUPER picky eater so I had to be creative, but I never tricked him.
    He always knows when I'm hiding veggies in dinner.
    We started by taking walks together and getting froyo.
    Now we bike 8 miles 3-4 times a week.

It takes some creativity to motivate those who aren't ready.
  • jillian_fan2425
    jillian_fan2425 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    My husband has started working out and drinking more water after watching me do it for three months (and counting). He initially said that he didn't care about his weight, but evidently something changed along the way. Maybe your family will do the same.

In the meantime, though, one idea that comes to mind is to make meals with lots of fresh fruit and veggies. These items are low calorie but can add to the visual appeal of a dish by adding color and help fill you up. That way, if they still want to go back for seconds, the impact is reduced a little. If your kids aren't veggie fans, maybe have them help you pick fruits and veggies that they like at the grocery store. It might help to explain the benefits of each fruit and veggie; I personally love to look that stuff up.

I agree with other posters that moderation is key, especially since your family members can get junk food elsewhere if they really want it. If you pick snacks, make individual portions in plastic bags so that a serving size is clear and the box isn't just sitting there.

Good luck! I know it can be discouraging, but at least you are taking good care of yourself. That definitely counts for something.
  • freakhazerd2424
    freakhazerd2424 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    i know this is going to seem out there, but perhaps you and your husband need to go to a counselor or make an appointment for both of you to meet with the doctor so you can express your concern for his and your sons' well being in a neutral place. tell him you're scared to death for him, afraid that he is going to die, and that what's happening with your son's liver is very frightening. because if your husband is happy with his weight and his eating, he's not going to change without a real wakeup call, and his example is going to reinforce your sons' eating habits, as well.

i'm so sorry you are dealing with this - it sounds very hard :-(

This is honestly what you should do. Cooking different or buying healthy things really won't help becouse If they want to eat junk they will. Go to counseling. If that's to much money then find some oa meetings in your area there free. If he flat out refuses I would suggest that you do it your self and gain insight into your own feelings and emotions then you can maybe make some tough decisions with the support of going back to someone to talk to.
  • raholden88
    Options
    Yea, forget biking 8 miles...I was barely motivated to get up and walk either. Still not that active, since what I do works for me and my goals, but now I don't dread even the shortest ten minute dog walk like I used to. I look forward to sneaking it in now, and seeing how happy it makes my dog to go patrol the streets and do his thing makes me happy too.

My brain would shut down at the thought of exercise. Always has. It's a mental block to protect yourself from feeling anything or acknowledging what you know is wrong or what you see in a mirror or on a scale. It's a defense mechanism. The first part is learning how to slowly but surely cut that part out of your brain, and that does take time. It can't happen overnight. That is probably, looking at my last post, my FIRST suggestion. Before even changing diets and what not. Just get them actively thinking differently about it. Not so much so that they develop eating disorders, which can happen easily and which is something I've had to fight through as well, trying not to under eat instead of over eating. But just slowly but surely recognizing that trying harder to be more active, to think less of food as a reward than just as nourishment, and to only eat when they're hungry, truly hungry, not just depression triggered or eating out of boredom. Then change can begin to happen.
  • jlovesnyc
    jlovesnyc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Start with continuing to set the example of healthy eating and exercise. You have to consistently practice what you preach. You may never change your husband and his habits; however, you are responsible for your kids and the choices they make at this age. Take control of the grocery shopping/meal planning/tv time. Get them involved in something physical. This will require a lot of energy but its worth it. Be frank with your husband, keeping it inside will only lead to bitterness and grudges: let him know how is health affects everyone and everything (marriage). And of course, communicate that you love them all.
  • SOneedhelp
    Options
    I am on a similar boat with you. My kids are younger, 6 and 3, and they are not overweight yet, but their eating habits suck. Me and my hubby are both about 50 pounds above where we were when we got married. I am very worried and overwhelmed. I know this is a major problem, but not quite sure where to start....
  • raholden88
    Options
    I am on a similar boat with you. My kids are younger, 6 and 3, and they are not overweight yet, but their eating habits suck. Me and my hubby are both about 50 pounds above where we were when we got married. I am very worried and overwhelmed. I know this is a major problem, but not quite sure where to start....

Well at that age they're not old enough to understand or be concerned with it so luckily, so long as you set good examples, you can shape them into healthier eaters and keep them engaged in activities that keep them and yourselves healthy.

Get the 6 year old pushing the 3 year old in their stroller on walks and that 6 year old gets tons of exercise already in ten minutes. Pushing a 15lb stroller with a 5 pound toddler in it is fantastic exercise! Enough to more than balance out a kids meal from McDonalds even.

Also, growing kids don't need calories counted as much since they're growing, but after puberty hits, at that 13 year old age, that's when you have to watch them pretty closely, or they balloon up. Growing kids are always hungry, especially teens. But they need to keep active to balance it out.

Emptying a plate of pizza rolls was my go to snack, but I'd eat them sitting on the couch playing games for four hours, instead of outside running around. So just keep those kids moving and engaged. If anything else, trade them off video game and couch and computer time for 30 minute walks after dinner, or 15 minutes before they do homework. Get fresh air, get their blood pumping, especially after sitting all day in school (and probably being lax during gym class like I know I was), and it'll even improve their learning and thinking during homework too.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    You can't make them want to lose weight. Something will have to happen to warrant them to become uncomfortable enough to warrant them to put in the effort. I know - you'd think that fatty liver would do it, but if they don't understand the ramifications of that, then it won't work as incentive.

You could start instilling rules. One of the rules with our kids - my 7 year old particularly likes reese's peanut butter cups. She has to have something healthy before she can have 2 snack size peanut butter cups. It can be yogurt, light string cheese, peanut butter and pretzels, applesauce, or a protein/fiber bar, whatever.

The 10 year old loves Paradise Bakery chocolate chip cookies. She's allowed 1 cookie a day. There are sometimes certain circumstances when I'll allow 2, but not often. If she does have a 2nd cookie, I'll suggest she have something of a protein first.

Now both of them have started leaning towards healthier snacks more often. Plus, they see me and my husband eating them too.

The thing is, the protein sticks with them longer, and if you combine a protein with a carb for a snack, it helps better regulate sugars. The protein takes longer to digest, and they won't be as hungry as often.