Gym vs. Working out at home

Options
1235»

Replies

• DMicheleC
    DMicheleC Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have never been to a Gym as such, I have done fitness classes, like zumba. But now I just work out at home. I go out running near a local canal which is lovely, I do a 30 day shred dvd, zumba and other fitness dvd's. This keeps me pretty fit, I also do a lot of walking. I don't know whether I would be bothered to get to the gym after work, but when I'm home I just get my fitness gear on and go for it, I never have days when I don't do it, I enjoy it too much.
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    For me, I prefer going to the gym. My gym is 3 doors down from my house so it's not a big production to get there. But the times when I've stayed home to work out either with weights or do a DVD, it hasn't gone so well. I can't stick to anything, I get distracted very easily when I'm home and my work out usually ends up only lasting 15 minutes or so. I need to be away from distractions and going to the gym allows me to do that and just focus on me.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    ALL my workouts are at home. I live on a working farm and don't have the need, the time, or the $$ for a gym membership, nor will I drive ten miles into town when I can walk to my garden and hayfields, so I agree, nix to the gym ( never been to a gym in my life).
  • JaimieAG
    JaimieAG Posts: 48
    Options
    Both work for me. I live in a big city.
  • atomikaze9
    atomikaze9 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    jaweiss1 wrote: »
    Haven't been to a globo-gym in 10+ years. Stopped going to the crossfit box a couple of years ago. Home gym works best for me. I figure I save about two hours a week by not having to drive somewhere to work out. Not to mention that I never wait for equipment. Or deal with... well you know the people.

Untitled-1.jpg

Hahahaha awesome. This has inspired me to cancel my gym membership. High five, jaweiss.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I do both. My job covers my gym membership, and they have child care at the gym so it's my ME time. However, sometimes I can't get to the gym and sometimes the only time I can workout, child care isn't open. These times I workout at home.

Start looking for gym equipment next month with your good friend Craig. It's usually around next month all the resolution people are posting their barely used exercise equipment on craigslist and you can get some major deals.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I've decided I'm going to be cancelling my gym membership as soon as my contract ends because having to go to a gym to get my workout on is just too much trouble. The fact that I can only make it in during peak hours when you're waiting to use most of the equipment doesn't help. Commuting to the gym makes the act of working out a lot more time consuming, and plus having to actually make the trip a lot of the time just doesn't seem worth the trouble when I have some home equipment, some videos, and can get my workout done in just the commute time to and from the gym alone.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

I completely understand where you're coming from, but take into account that working out at home may not help you stay motivated like being at the gym would. I work an eight-hour day, commute three hours to-and-from work total and am the main "errand runner" in my house. Besides all of this, I still make time to get to the gym 2-hours everyday, and on days when I absolutely can not and I force myself to resort to working out at home (we have dumb bells, a bench, and I'm excellent and making use of whatever furniture is around and incorporating in new work outs) I find that I definitely do not work out as hard even though I have the equiptment to do a lot of the work outs I could at the gym. The motivation isn't there. The distractions of keeping up with the house, my partner and puppies wanting to cuddle, etc. are what I'm faced with. I see your stand point though. Utlize the machines that you are wanting to use being occupied as a way to branch out and try new variations/equiptment.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    This is a really old thread btw