Meeting your daily iron goal?

Options
2»

Replies

• m0dizzle
    m0dizzle Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Quakers cereal squares have a ton of iron and are delicious.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I hit my micro nutrients every day and am over 100% for my iron needs by making myself a vegetable/fruit morning smoothie. You can look into my diary for the ingredients.
    Stef.
  • Coll_OB
    Coll_OB Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    To everyone saying that it is the % of the daily recommended amount is wrong. It is set to 100mg which is way too much - you can check this by looking at the iron value on a food you have logged. For instance a large boiled egg has 0.6mg of iron (Google) and when I look at the iron content on MFP it lists it as 0.6% of my daily iron goal.

This seems to be extremely careless of MFP as people are obviously thinking that they aren't getting enough by not hitting the target and subsequently over eating iron rich foods to compensate for it

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Coll_OB wrote: »
    To everyone saying that it is the % of the daily recommended amount is wrong. It is set to 100mg which is way too much - you can check this by looking at the iron value on a food you have logged. For instance a large boiled egg has 0.6mg of iron (Google) and when I look at the iron content on MFP it lists it as 0.6% of my daily iron goal.

This seems to be extremely careless of MFP as people are obviously thinking that they aren't getting enough by not hitting the target and subsequently over eating iron rich foods to compensate for it

The mfp database is user created, and unfortunately not all users understand everything when entering a food.

The user who created the database entry for an egg that you chose to use probably didn't realize the iron line is supposed to be entered as the percent of RDA and not the mg value. So they entered 0.6 (for the mg) when they should have entered I think 8 (for the percent). All the mfp totals, remainders, and pie charts do is total up the data in all the entries you choose to add to your log. So if you choose incorrect entries you'll get incorrect totals.

You always need to double-check the database entries you choose to the package or USDA entries online.
  • Iwantahealthierme30
    Options
    Oatmeal has 45%, on days I eat oatmeal, I always go over my iron because I have two 29g packages. That's the only tip I have.
  • silverpl2525
    silverpl2525 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I used to be vegetarian but got anemic...so now I take a multivitamin daily and have good quality beef regularly and my lab work is all normal now.