108 Sun Salutaions

Options
runner475
runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
Anyone here doing 108 Sun salutations on the eve of Summer Solstice?
When? Where?

I am - 21st June - Hershey PA

Namaste. Peace.

Replies

• xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Right down the road from me! Hola from central PA.
  • GibbsGirl13072
    GibbsGirl13072 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I am! Just doing it at home, June 21st. Central Texas :smile:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    I hadn't considered it, since I'm already going to a different class that day (if you're interested, sequence here: http://iyengaryogainaustin.blogspot.com/). Maybe I'll do that on Sunday - at home, in Austin.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    why 108?
  • Ella1882
    Ella1882 Posts: 27
    Options
    Is that a thing? Why 108?
  • runner475
    Options
    "The number's significance is open to interpretation. But 108 has long been considered a sacred number in Hinduism and yoga. Traditionally, malas, or garlands of prayer beads, come as a string of 108 beads (plus one for the "guru bead," around which the other 108 beads turn like the planets around the sun). A mala is used for counting as you repeat a mantra—much like the Catholic rosary.

Renowned mathematicians of Vedic culture viewed 108 as a number of the wholeness of existence. This number also connects the Sun, Moon, and Earth: The average distance of the Sun and the Moon to Earth is 108 times their respective diameters. Such phenomena have given rise to many examples of ritual significance.

According to yogic tradition, there are 108 pithas, or sacred sites, throughout India. And there are also 108 Upanishads and 108 marma points, or sacred places of the body."

http://www.yogajournal.com/practice/2579

However at my yoga studio they do 108 Salutation at the change of every season. During winter some of the Salutations are Moon.
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    bump to learn more

namaste
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I will be observing this practice with my teacher. A small group of us will be meeting on the sunrise of the Solstice to perform the 108.
    Cornwall, UK
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    so in other words, no one knows exactly why you do 108 lol.

the answer to the meaning of life, the universe, and everything: 108

lol i don't mean to make fun. my only exposure to yoga was yogaX and it was extreamly challenging
  • Ella1882
    Options
    Is this a Wicca + Hinduism fusion then? (I'm not being snide; I'm really asking.) Is summer solstice a significant date in Hinduism?

108 sun salutations sounds like a great goal, and doing them with a community on summer solstice sounds like a wonderful (and triceps-exhausting) bonding experience. I'm just curious about the origin of the goal.

*Edited to remove a superfluous preposition.
  • erin6989
    erin6989 Posts: 29 Member
    Options

nope. everyone knows the answer is 42.
  • itodd4019
    Options
    HOLY SHEEEEYAHT!!! excuse the pun

are we talking 108 in a row? This would be an endurance event. Or is it 108 within the 24 hour Solstice?

I'm totally down with this...... what a great thing to do 2 X per year. I'm really checking this out!

Just in case - here is a Sun Salutation video. Call it a burpee times 1,0000000

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IUyY9Dyr5w

Sweat Daily
    Todd
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

lol not anymore!
  • Ella1882
    Options
    Lol. Genau.

*Edited to fix quotation function.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    Is this a Wicca + Hinduism fusion then? (I'm not being snide; I'm really asking.) Is summer solstice a significant date in Hinduism?

meaningful season change events are probably a significant in nearly every ancient religion.

christmass is the winter solstice
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    In to learn more Pagan rituals. Interesting stuff that I have little knowledge about.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Ella1882
    Options

meaningful season change events are probably a significant in nearly every ancient religion.

christmass is the winter solstice

There's some truth to that, and I obviously know the history of winter solstice --> Xmas = Christian invaders/conquerors attempting to supplant existing pagan holy days with new ones. I'm not as informed about Indian/Hindu religious history. The details would be intriguing, if anyone knows them.
  • itodd4019
    Options
    bottom line, a good one take about 2 minutes = 216 minutes of controlled breathing, stretching and who knows what else comes along.

This is hard core!!!!!! to the max

What is the nutrition plan for this? a 3+ hour fast?

I am seriously interested in understanding.

Check local areas, and calling my Tai Chi Sifu regarding this

Todd
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    bottom line, a good one take about 2 minutes = 216 minutes of controlled breathing, stretching and who knows what else comes along.

This is hard core!!!!!! to the max

What is the nutrition plan for this? a 3+ hour fast?

I am seriously interested in understanding.

Check local areas, and calling my Tai Chi Sifu regarding this

Todd

The whole "event" takes typically about 45 minutes as the flow is a lot faster than the usual vinyasa type session, but the breathing and the bandhas are brought into play still, which keeps the movement, flow and of course the body safe and strong throughout.

Our room is usually heated to around 30C which results in the mat being soaked in sweat soon into the session.
  • runner475
    Options
    I'm not as informed about Indian/Hindu religious history. The details would be intriguing, if anyone knows them.

To me yoga is a practice and from what I know, have been told and read. It ain't religious but spiritual. The origin is in India by a Hindu and it ends their. However I'm a Hindu. But it ain't owned by Hindus or by Indians jus' like a pull-up or a push-up. :wink:

That being said we have 4 Seasons - Spring Equinox, Summer Solstice, Autumn Equinox, Winter Solstice and the reason I do 108 salutations 4 times a year (I will not say all are sun salutations b'coz in winter we tend to do moon salutations) is b'coz -

1) I devote my time, my energy for something that is alot higher and mightier than I am, someone who doesn't need me but I need to survive - Sun.
    2) I try to achieve something that I haven't achieved in recent months. It is my way to test my potential since the last time I tried them. I have always come out a lot more humble than I have begun with the practice.

Interestingly we do not need any kind of music during summer solstice I guess b'coz there is so much energy however during winter we have a more happy upbeat music going on and same 108 salutations feel a lot harder. It's interesting to observe.