How often to weigh self on scale?

Options

Replies

• dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Every morning after I pee. I should probably switch to once a week though.
  • ebbingfat
    ebbingfat Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I normally weigh my self every morning right after I go to the bathroom. I only record my weight on Sundays though, so I'm not recording every little fluctuation.
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I weight myself every morning to watch the flucuations, but I only log my weight once a week.
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh myself whenever I feel like it. Always in the morning after peeing & before eating. I don't really stick to a specific weigh in day because I have found in the past that some days are better are worse than others, so I don't feel like I get an accurate read. I just weigh whenever. Sometimes once a week. Sometimes 5 times a week. Sometimes never.
  • low_esteem23
    low_esteem23 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Everyday:

The weight you are in the morning after your first pee is usually the most accurate as you're not carrying around all the food/water buildup from the day before your body has digested it.

I typically weigh myself about twice a day. First time is in the morning as thats usually the most accurate (assuming you've gotten a good amount of sleep). I also like to weigh myself later in the day just because i'm curious what it says and i can usually get a good feel for what it'll read the following morning.

One thing to keep in mind while weighing yourself multiple times a day and week is that the number on the scale WILL fluctuate, usually about 2-3 lbs. This is NORMAL because of everything that has happened during the day.

Weighing in everyday helps keep me on track and keep my motivation high.

It's no problem if you forget to weigh yourself. How often you weigh yourself and when is all personal preference but keep in mind that the morning is best before doing much else. You can change your morning routine if that helps: Get up, go to the bathroom, brush your teeth, etc. and if you don't usually have to use the facilities in the AM then just get up, weigh yourself, and brush your teeth. Whatever you choose to do is up to you. :smile:
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    My scale is right by my bed. Wake up, go pee, strip down, step on scale, record data, done! EVERY morning.
  • RINat612
    RINat612 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily in the morning naked after using the facilities. As an engineer I love data.. so I enjoy all the ups and downs. I also plot it in excel and run trendlines.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Every 10 minutes.
  • newsize56
    newsize56 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    When my scale was the Wii Fit in the living room ... probably weekly. A couple weeks ago I bought a bathroom scale and now I weigh myself a few times a day.

Now hold your warnings weighing too often or whatever...

(a) I don't care what it says. I'm just curious how I fluctuate over time. I record my weight every 4 days.
    (b) Weighing myself before/after runs helps me know how much water weight I lost which has opened my eyes to how much water I need to bring on long runs (especially now that is hot)
    (c) I'm childish. Weighing myself before/after ... bathroom activities ... is funny to me. I'm setting records.

Ha, I do all of a, b, & c, too! It's fascinating to me, but I'm weird :laugh: .

To OP, I record daily ("official" weigh-in is first thing in the AM after bathroom) on the Libra app for my phone. It tracks a trend line, which averages daily fluctuations and gives a forecast of future weight loss.

For MFP, I enter my first day of the week weigh-in (for me, it's Monday AM, after a rest day, so as to remove any muscular water retention from "skewing" the number).

Or, if daily weigh-ins and seeing fluctuation is stressful to you (it is for many, many people--and that's okay, too). Just step on the scale once a week or less. That works for tons of people, too.
  • low_esteem23
    low_esteem23 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily in the morning naked after using the facilities. As an engineer I love data.. so I enjoy all the ups and downs. I also plot it in excel and run trendlines.

Finding a way to make it fun is a great idea!
  • newsize56
    newsize56 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    what is OP and what is the app called for your phone?
  • btanton27
    btanton27 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily. I like to see how the numbers fluctuate daily. It keeps me motivated to keep it on the downward trend.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    (c) I'm childish. Weighing myself before/after ... bathroom activities ... is funny to me. I'm setting records.

3 pounds. what's yours?
  • schelly81
    schelly81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Every morning after I pee and every night after dinner. My problem time for overeating is right before bed and I find seeing that number helps me stay within my calories for the day.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    what is OP and what is the app called for your phone?

OP = original post/poster
  • gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Why does everyone keep saying "it's not accurate" at certain points in the day? Either your scale is accurate or it's not. Time of day does not affect the accuracy of the scale. The fluctuations are in fact, how much you weigh at a specific time in the day. Live with it.

Personally, I have a fitbit aria that automatically records my weight and bodyfat via wifi each time I stand on it. I weigh myself prolly 5 or 6 times a day.

Not sure why people are saying you shouldn't do that. More data is better than less data. If you get into a tailspin because your scale says your 5 lbs heavier than before, you're looking at weight loss all wrong.
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Only on days that ends in Y...
  • MichaelVRenner
    MichaelVRenner Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself too often and you will go mad the with fluctuations.

I suggest once every 2 weeks in the AM.

Remember, your body is hard wired to NOT WANT TO LOSE WEIGHT as a survival technique, so it may hold on to food or water, all sorts.

2 weeks is a good span to let your body do all its corrections.
  • benaddict
    benaddict Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Of course everyone is different but I weigh every day and look at the trend. I also weigh myself during the day out of curiosity but only record the first weight of the morning. It helps me to look back at the chart and see that my weight is like a rubber ball bouncing down the stairs, it hits a low point, then bounces back up a little, then goes down even farther, then bounces back up a little, and so on. That way when the number goes up, I don't panic because I remind myself that I just have to keep doing what I've been doing and the weight will keep dropping off.
  • Eastern_Echo23
    Eastern_Echo23 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I check daily but only write down my weight on saturdays. It takes about a week to get a stable number free from influences like bloating, water weight, eating to much the day before ect. I have the most success on Saturdays