108 Sun Salutaions

Options
2»

Replies

• itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    ok ok 45 minutes..... So moving along big time, almost a dynamic stretch session

hmmmm,

I want to find a place to do this

sent text to Sifu

I am in Bradenton/Sarasota FL

It's Saturday right?
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Our room is usually heated to around 30C which results in the mat being soaked in sweat soon into the session.

And then sleep like a baby. Ahhh!!!!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    bottom line, a good one take about 2 minutes = 216 minutes of controlled breathing, stretching and who knows what else comes along.

This is hard core!!!!!! to the max

What is the nutrition plan for this? a 3+ hour fast?

I am seriously interested in understanding.

Check local areas, and calling my Tai Chi Sifu regarding this

Todd

So Carl does this in the Ashtanga tradition in about 45 minutes. I've done it in the Iyengar tradition and it takes between 1.5-3 hours - with some time for headstand and shoulderstand, some standing poses, etc, during the longer event.

As far as food goes, I wouldn't eat any differently than my for my normal practice - eat breakfast and a couple hours later, practice.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    Why 108:
    http://www.elephantjournal.com/2010/02/why-108-sun-salutations/

Someday I hope to do 108 drop backs.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Our room is usually heated to around 30C which results in the mat being soaked in sweat soon into the session.

- actually the pace (Ashtanga practice) leaves us all rocking and we usually spend a few more hours chatting, eating nice food and dancing. Its a great community event.

- and then sleep like a baby! Shi-vas-an-aaaaa!
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I was hoping to do a mala for the summer solstice but don't think it will work out. I truly, deeply, need a rest day after being a bad ashtangi with 13 days of straight practice (1 moon day vinyasa that was less gentle than anticipated and 2 separate 2-3 hours handstand workshops on the saturdays). And the shala isn't organising one this year either as they are closed for renovations.

I intend to chant the 12 names of surya instead.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    Is this a Wicca + Hinduism fusion then? (I'm not being snide; I'm really asking.) Is summer solstice a significant date in Hinduism?

meaningful season change events are probably a significant in nearly every ancient religion.

christmass is the winter solstice

There's some truth to that, and I obviously know the history of winter solstice --> Xmas = Christian invaders/conquerors attempting to supplant existing pagan holy days with new ones. I'm not as informed about Indian/Hindu religious history. The details would be intriguing, if anyone knows them.

i don't think its really that mystical, just meant to mark, keep track of, celebrate the passage of time and when to plant things, etc.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Although I won't be practicing the 108 Sun Salutations, I will be invoking Reiki. It's not exercise, but I find reiki energy WAY more powerful during equinox and solstice. I'm exited :) My yoga master will be doing a program based on sun salutations on Monday. Namaste
  • itodd4019
    Options
    just talked to my Sifu
    he is black belt Kungfu, 5th degree TKD, and master Tai Chi

he Said - "Saturday is the solstice, and I only strive to do a single Sun Solutation in 108 minutes!" " it is a focused, strength that we long for"

hmmm, imagine stretching a 2 minute set of moves into a 108 minutes! That would truly be a slow, controlled, set of movement.

and he finalized by saying- good one you Todd, that you are engaging such a wonderful time of season!

This is a cool topic ya'll
  • itodd4019
    Options

- actually the pace (Ashtanga practice) leaves us all rocking and we usually spend a few more hours chatting, eating nice food and dancing. Its a great community event.

- and then sleep like a baby! Shi-vas-an-aaaaa!

I want this!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    just talked to my Sifu
    he is black belt Kungfu, 5th degree TKD, and master Tai Chi

he Said - "Saturday is the solstice, and I only strive to do a single Sun Solutation in 108 minutes!" " it is a focused, strength that we long for"

hmmm, imagine stretching a 2 minute set of moves into a 108 minutes! That would truly be a slow, controlled, set of movement.

and he finalized by saying- good one you Todd, that you are engaging such a wonderful time of season!

This is a cool topic ya'll

any form of mindful meditation, and thanx to Gaia, during the solstice is awesome.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options

Awesome. I'm going to share this with my yogis tomorrow. It's truly inspiring how there would so many ways that people will celebrate this event (starting today in places) all around the world.