I can't get drunk

Options
ruthejp13
ruthejp13 Posts: 213 Member
I've been dieting for 7 months straight now with daily calories between 1000-1550 per day and the occasional 2000 calorie day. I've cut way back on my drinking because of the calories. But the few times I've drank heavily, Super Bowl Sunday and last night in particular, I allocated for the calories but couldn't even catch a buzz. At Super Bowl I was drinking vodka and Crystal Light, last night I drank an entire bottle of red wine. There have been at least a half dozen other times since the diet that I've felt like it was a total waste of time and calories. Any thoughts? Any medical reasons why dieting deters drunkeness?

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I've been dieting for 7 months straight now with daily calories between 1000-1550 per day and the occasional 2000 calorie day. I've cut way back on my drinking because of the calories. But the few times I've drank heavily, Super Bowl Sunday and last night in particular, I allocated for the calories but couldn't even catch a buzz. At Super Bowl I was drinking vodka and Crystal Light, last night I drank an entire bottle of red wine. There have been at least a half dozen other times since the diet that I've felt like it was a total waste of time and calories. Any thoughts? Any medical reasons why dieting deters drunkeness?

You're not buzzed off of a bottle of red wine. Are you Irish?
  • easeintofitness
    Options
    Nope. Sounds like tolerance. That comes from drinking too much alcohol too often. Have you consulted with a physician about this?
  • random_user75
    random_user75 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Total waste of time and calories? I hope it was at least delicious.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Usually a sign of alcoholism more than dieting.
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I get drunk easier when I am trying to lose weight. Too easy in fact!
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    lol
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    lol

seriously...
  • FitWarrior7
    FitWarrior7 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Drink on an empty stomach? Limit your sodium?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I can't even understand how this is possible.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Usually, when folks lose weight they find that it actually takes LESS alcohol to get buzzed.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Usually, when folks lose weight they find that it actually takes LESS alcohol to get buzzed.

Yeah this is me. BUT my mind still thinks I can drink the same amount. This has led to both interesting evenings and turrible mornings.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options

This.

Two drinks in and I get giggly.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Girl you need to run with the big dogs and not sit on the porch and bark!!

One night out with me and I'll explain the shoe marks on your hands the next day!

We will be crawling!!
    2r2aaah.jpg
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    The only time I couldn't get drunk was in a phase when I was drinking far too much and far too frequently - not getting drunk is a bit of a worry to be honest.
    Drinking to get a buzz is also a little concerning, I was drinking to temporarily escape from a situation rather than for enjoyment or for social reasons.

Really think you should talk this through with someone you totally trust and also record your intake to see if it's excessive. Certainly it crept up on me from being a sun-downer to unwind after a stressful day to drinking 4 times as much as anyone else on a night out. I didn't appreciate how bad I had got until I realised I needed a drink rather than wanted a drink.

If you are confident you don't have a drink problem (and crucially your loved ones / trusted ones agree) then an off the wall suggestion is to spend twice as much on your wine but drink half as much. Drink it for the pleasure of a fine bottle of wine rather than to get drunk.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options

This.

Two drinks in and I get giggly.

agreed!

3 drinks, Dani and I would be falling down!!!!
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    i'm thinking everyone else in the room felt as tho you were pretty drunk
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I don't get obviously drunk of a bottle of red wine either, maybe a bit tipsy, but not more.....but then , I don't drink to get drunk. I drink to enjoy the wine I drink, company, the food and the conversation...plus, I don't drink regularly....maybe a handful of times a year.
    With all due respect, I find drinking just to get blitzed kind of immature.....
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    thanks for the tip
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Usually a sign of alcoholism more than dieting.

I would agree with this.

It's time reevaluate things when your sole purpose for drinking is to get drunk.

But hey, that's just my opinion.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

You're not buzzed off of a bottle of red wine. Are you Irish?
    My initial thoughts as well! :drinker:

Girl you need to run with the big dogs and not sit on the porch and bark!!

One night out with me and I'll explain the shoe marks on your hands the next day!

We will be crawling!!
    2r2aaah.jpg
    BAHAHAHAHAH!