So tell us about where you live

Options
2»

Replies

• TBHunter
    Options
    I live in Truro Nova Scotia...

Truro (2006 population 11,765 [1]; urban area population 22,777 [1], conglomeration area population 45,777 [2]) is a town in central Nova Scotia, Canada. Truro is the shire town of Colchester County and is located on the south side of the Salmon River floodplain, close to the river's mouth at the eastern end of Cobequid Bay.

History

The Mi'kmaq name for the Truro area, "Wagobagitik" meaning "end of the water's flow", was shortened by Acadian settlers to "Cobequid" who arrived in the area in the early 1700s and by 1727 had established a small village near the present downtown site of Truro known as "Vil Bois Brule" (Village in the burnt wood).[2] Following the Expulsion of the Acadians in 1755, the town was resettled in 1761 by Presbyterians of predominantly Ulster Scottish origin who came from Ireland via New England. It is named after the city of Truro in Cornwall, England. Originally a small farming community, the construction of the Nova Scotia Railway between Halifax, and Pictou in 1858 caused the municipality to experience a fast rate of growth which increased even more when the railway connected to central Canada in 1872 and became the Intercolonial Railway. The Intercolonial, which later became the Canadian National built a large roundhouse and rail yard in Truro. Further rail links to Cape Breton and to the Annapolis Valley through the Dominion Atlantic Railway in 1905 made the town even more a transportation hub for Nova Scotia. The railway also attracted industries such as the Truro Woolen Mills in 1870 (which later became Stanfield's) and provincial institutions like the provincial Normal School (later the Nova Scotia Teachers College) and the Nova Scotia Agricultural College. The town officially incorporated in 1875. The Colchester Historical Museum (c.1900-1901) in Truro is on the Canadian Register of Historic Places.[3]

Controversy

In 2007, Truro's mayor and council caused controversy, accusations of intolerance and canceled tourism visits by refusing requests to raise the Gay Pride flag at town hall and opposing the local Gay Pride parade.[4] Mayor Bill Mills refused a request by Truro's LGBT community to raise a gay pride flag at the town hall. Despite Canada's political stance in support of gay rights (including same-sex marriage, which became law in 2005) Bill Mills affirmed that his Christian faith would preside for this issue, stating: "God says I'm not in favour of that and I have to look at it and say, I guess I'm not either."[4]
    [edit] Infrastructure

Truro is known as the Hub of Nova Scotia as it is located at the junction between the Canadian National Railway, running between Halifax and Montreal, and the Cape Breton and Central Nova Scotia Railway, running between Truro and Sydney. Until the 1980s, Truro also hosted a junction between the Canadian National and Canadian Pacific Railway's former Dominion Atlantic Railway line running through Windsor and down the Annapolis Valley to Yarmouth, Nova Scotia.

An important highway interchange is located just north of Truro in the rural community of Onslow where Highway 102 (Veterans Memorial Highway) ends at Highway 104, a part of the Trans-Canada Highway. Trunk 2 and 4 intersect in the town as with the Glooscap Trail and Route 236.

Education

Truro has one high school, Cobequid Educational Centre. Post-secondary options include a campus of the Nova Scotia Community College, as well as the Nova Scotia Agricultural College in the neighboring town of Bible Hill.

Sports

Truro has has two ice hockey rinks. Truro is home to the Truro Bearcats, a Junior "A" ice hockey team who are two time MJAHL Champions. (Canadian) Football is also a popular sport in the town with all games being played on Friday night at the TAAC grounds. Truro is also home to a rugby club, which hosts the World Indoor Sevens Rugby Championships, held every March.
  • debruhf
    debruhf Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I live in Stevensville, MT...the "town" where Montana began and located in the beautiful Bitterroot Valley, which is where the capital Christmas tree came from in 2009.

We have a population of about 7500.

The largest snowflake ever observed was 38 cm wide was recorded in Montana on January 28, 1887. That’s just darn near 15 inches. Amazing!

Montana holds the world record for the greatest temperature change in 24 hours. On January 14-15, 1972, the temperature went from from -54°F to 49°F a whopping 103 degrees in Loma!

Montana has the largest migratory elk herd in the nation.

At the Rocky Mountain Front Eagle Migration Area west of Great Falls more golden eagles have been seen in a single day than anywhere else in the country.

The average square mile of land contains 1.4 elk, 1.4 pronghorn antelope, and 3.3 deer.

The Montana Yogo Sapphire is the only North American gem to be included in the Crown Jewels of England.

The "Going to the Sun Road" in Glacier Park is considered one of the most scenic drives in America.

No state has as many different species of mammals as Montana....including wolves.

The Battle of the Little Bighorn also known as Custer's Last Stand took place on June 25, 1876. Lieutenant Colonel Custer's forces—including more than 200 of his men were wiped out in less than 20 minutes.

Flathead Lake in northwest Montana contains over 200 square miles of water and 185 miles of shoreline. It is considered the largest natural freshwater lake in the west.

Miles City is known as the Cowboy Capitol.

Buffalo in the wild can still be viewed at the National Bison Range in Moiese, south of Flathead Lake and west of the Mission Mountains.

The most visited place in Montana is Glacier National Park, known as the crown jewel of the continent. It lies along Montana's northern border and adjoins Waterton Lakes National Park in Canada, forming the world's first International Peace Park.

In Montana the elk, deer and antelope populations outnumber the humans.

Montana is the fourth largest state with the forty-fourth largest population.

Montana has 43 state parks and 25 scenic byways.

Montana has the largest grizzly bear population in the lower 48 states.

Montana mountain goats will butt heads so hard their hooves fall off.

Montana is home to seven Indian reservations.

Drinking while driving in Montana did not become llegal until October 1, 2005
  • angeldavila08
    angeldavila08 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I currently am stationed in Colorado. But I'm from a tiny town Era, Texas.

Era is about an hour north of Dallas and 20 min south of the Oklahoma border
    -If you goole map Era,TX you will have to zoom in to actually see it
    -Its pronounced like Ear-ah
    -I don't know the poplulation, but I know there are more cows than people
    -there is 1 flashing light, off of FM (farm to market rd) 72, that is actually in Valley View city limits and if you miss the light you miss the town
    -There is no gas station, just 3 churches, a single chair salon, a feed mill, a post office that would fit inside many peoples living rooms, and a school K-12 about 400 kids. My graduating class was 22.
    -Era is named after a woman who lived there many years ago, I believe she started the school
    -The elementary building was originally the highschool building and the parking lot used to be the football field
    -The teachers house that my mom lives in was built in the 1950's
    -One day a year (homecoming week) kids who own horsed will ride them to school.
    -The closest movie theatre is 40 miles away

Thats neat i live in Possum Kingdom Lake TX
  • angeldavila08
    angeldavila08 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Possum Kingdom Lake, TX

I took this from our chamber, its not even a town, but a community rather.

Nestled in the foothills of the Palo Pinto mountains less than 90 miles west of Fort Worth, Possum Kingdom is The Great Lake of Texas. More than 18,000 acres of crystal clear water, a Texas oasis surrounded by beautiful cliffs and rolling hillsides. Whether you are visiting for a weekend or staying for a lifetime, Possum Kingdom Lake has the amenities and services to meet your every need, from first-class dining and resorts to some of the finest marinas and golf courses in Texas. Enjoy a wide variety of outdoor activities including boating, diving, swimming, fishing, hiking, cycling and golf. -http://www.possumkingdomlake.com/

Everyone knows everyone type of town. Literally my granddad lived in mississippi and new mexico with some people that live here.
  • evulka21
    evulka21 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    just though it was a good one....just got an email from my ski resort today, this season we already got 285 inches of snow! ...Truckee, CA...LOVE THIS PLACE
    ......got to go shred...haha
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Houston TX here -

Founded in 1836 by the Allen brothers who baited people here on a mountain of lies (lol)! (See the ad they ran here:
    http://texashistorypage.com/town of houston.BMP).

"There is no place in Texas more healthy, having an abundance of excellent spring water, and enjoying the sea breeze in all its freshness."

Let's see...

-It's freaking huge - not even population, but spacewise - almost 600 square miles city limits
    -The cost of living isn't that great, despite that being a main selling point these days
    -There are great museums and art scenes here
    -Tons of great and diverse restaurants (which is BAD for me!!)
    -Really abysmal historic preservation (I do what I can to capture it)
    -From the ad - yes, we have bayous, but they are like chocolate milk, not fresh spring water. I guess you could get a sort of "sea breeze" from it, but Galveston is too far away to get it from there
    -Galveston - less than an hour away to the beach is nice (brown water, but you take what you can get), plus Austin, San Antonio, Lake Charles, and natural sites like piney woods and hill country territory aren't too far away
    -It gets hot here - with humidity the heat index can soar. Mild winters are great, though (and the ability to garden year round..)
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    Possum Kingdom Lake, TX

I took this from our chamber, its not even a town, but a community rather.

Nestled in the foothills of the Palo Pinto mountains less than 90 miles west of Fort Worth, Possum Kingdom is The Great Lake of Texas. More than 18,000 acres of crystal clear water, a Texas oasis surrounded by beautiful cliffs and rolling hillsides. Whether you are visiting for a weekend or staying for a lifetime, Possum Kingdom Lake has the amenities and services to meet your every need, from first-class dining and resorts to some of the finest marinas and golf courses in Texas. Enjoy a wide variety of outdoor activities including boating, diving, swimming, fishing, hiking, cycling and golf. -http://www.possumkingdomlake.com/

Everyone knows everyone type of town. Literally my granddad lived in mississippi and new mexico with some people that live here.

We used to go camping there all the time when I was a kid. I miss it so much!
  • saligator
    saligator Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    i'm from Dublin, Ireland! Dublin is the capital and is a really great place to live.....if you ignore all the economic crap - same as anywhere at the moment i guess.

i'm lucky enough to live beside the Phoenix Park - the largest walled park in Europe and so I usually see deer or squirrels or horses when i go running there which is lovely. The best thing about Dublin at the moment is the mixture of people; there are so many different nationalities and types of people around, it's great. Also, Dublin city centre is fairly compact - u can walk from one end of the city centre to the other in about 30mins.

Although Dublin is city, the sea and the mountains are only ever about 20mins away which is great in the summer time. i love Dubln!