Finished a very low calorie diet - what next?

Options

Replies

• deanjcrawford
    deanjcrawford Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    It's not selling me anything. It's not like i'm claiming there's a god or people should follow a religion. relax. My yoga group suggested it, i thought i would try it. So far, i've had results that i wouldn't have gotten elsewhere. And you're right, you can't get the same results eating other foods because the whole point is to give your digestive system a rest. And your whole "science" comment is rubbish because you didn't read what i said so i'll say it again. For everyway of eating you think is correct, someone somewhere will tell you it's wrong. I personally follow IIFYM, but that's just me. I decided to try something different and broaden my horizons, you should try it sometime.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Was this brown rice cleanse all organic? If not, every time you ate you were adding toxins. And no offense but you are the one who called it a low calorie diet.

Yes, it was organic. And I think you're getting confused by diet. When I say diet, I mean the food I eat, not fad diets like south beach, etc.
    um eating all rice sounds way more like a fad than south beach where you can eat several types of food
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    8. Eyes are brighter with an unexplained power and lust for life, often foreign to them.

I think number 8 got me a slap in a club once, it must have just been the vodka clense I was on.

:laugh:
  • deanjcrawford
    Options
    um eating all rice sounds way more like a fad than south beach where you can eat several types of food

Except without all the benefits of a cleanse and it only lasts 10 days. Apart from that, yeah, i guess it's a fad.

As for my original question, any advice or do you just fancy a bit of a gossip?
  • LucasEVille
    LucasEVille Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    And your whole "science" comment is rubbish because you didn't read what i said so i'll say it again. For everyway of eating you think is correct, someone somewhere will tell you it's wrong.

You misunderstand, its not what I think is correct. Its the simple scientific fact that your body clenses its own toxins.
    Name me one toxin that needs an external force (other than medical intervention re: organ failure or Sepsis) to clear?
    To clarify I've working in A&E (ED in American terms) and I've never come accross a toxin issue with the body except via illness, disease, external force, etc.

So you are starving your body of nutrients albeit only for a short time for no positive gain?

You haven't given your digestive system a "rest" as it was digesting brown rice, which is more fiberous so it takes more work to digest anyway and helps keep you regular. Again something you could just as easily add to your normal eating.
  • animalhouse2588
    Options
    I just want to know what toxins were cleansed, and how brown rice accomplished this feat.

Rigger

Rigger, if you're genuinely interested, here is the info. Might i add, i would NEVER do this for longer than 10 days. People seem to be getting confused thinking that i do this all the time. i don't. I'm generally a fat git who thought the opportunity to cleanse my system from all the food and booze i drink sounded like a good idea. For 10 days. Not for a lifetime. I was just genuinely surprised by how much weight i lost, yet i think a lot of that had to do with the big meal i ate before i weighed myself and possibly some muscle lost, but i actually got stronger so i don't know what's going on there.

"Why do a cleanse? 

It's a method of giving the digestive system a rest.  By eating one type of food, your body 
    only  has  to  digest  one  thing.  This  means  energy  usually  used  to  digest  food,  can  be 
    redirected and used to heal, cleanse and repair the body. 

The Ohsawa  diet  is recommended for 10 days.  Usually, 7 days of cleansing wipes the 
    slate  clean.  Your  body  is  usually  fully  cleansed,  reset  and  ready  to  run.  However, 
    depending on how toxic you are, 10 days makes sure most people receive the full benefits 
    of the cleanse. 

Effects of the Oshawa cleanse 
    1. Intensive  purification  &  massive  detox,  elimination  of  toxins accumulated in body 
    tissue (unpleasant physiological reactions) 
    2. What  if  i  am  already healthy?  This will refresh and give a general cleanse of the 
    body. 
    3. Purify the energy system.  Cleansing the NADIS .   
    4. Kapha  dosha (phlegm)  is reduced  which  hinders  the  movement  of energy in the 
    body.  This  purification results  =  significantly  immediate  clarification and  clarity of 
    mind; 
    5. Digestion improves significantly 
    6. Hormone secretions are regulated, 
    7. The skin is clean and bright. 
    8. Eyes are brighter with an unexplained power and lust for life, often foreign to them. 
    9. Excellent method to regulate weight, without starvation. 
    10. What if you’re underweight?  10 days of the Oshawa cleanse can normalize weigh t.
    11. Resistance to extreme hot and cold temperatures are amplified.   
    12. Sweating & body odours are reduced. 
    13. Yang status of the cleanse helps us to feel that we can better control our emotions. 
    14. For  those  who  are  addicted  to  drugs  or  toxic  substances  (alcohol,  coffee, 
    recreational drugs etc) the number 7 regime detoxifies the body. 
    15. INTENSE HEALING 
    16. Enhances  the  control  over  the  sexual  and  vital  energy,  is  effective  in  fighting 
    premature ejaculation"

Kudos to you for the ayrevedic route.
  • deanjcrawford
    Options
    Well Lucas, i guess we're at an impasse. I was skeptical at first as i like to do yoga more for the physical aspects than the mental, but i tried it and after 10 days i feel great. Clear skin, better digestion, don't fancy alcohol or sweets and i'm in a better mood and i put that down to the cleanse. You can't dispute that as i haven't felt this good after eating veg and chicken after 10 days.

And if you work for the NHS, why not give me some advice that i was actually asking for rather than tell me what i did for the last 10 days was wrong?
  • froststream
    froststream Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey OP, you do you.

I just finished up a detox last week, more out of curiosity than anything. I don't currently have access to a scale, but I'm pretty sure I lost some weight and it's been a week of eating a normal amount of calories, and I don't *feel* as if I gained the weight back (chances are I probably did, but not all of what I might have lost).

Everyone's body is different. I'd suggest just try to transition by sticking to whole foods as you up your calorie intake. I'm pretty sure that's the whole point of a cleanse anyway-- as a way to reset your body so that you have a fresh start to a lifestyle that involves clean eating. I have my doubts about that, haha, but even if it's not scientifically accurate, it's probably psychologically effective.
  • WatchJenShrink
    WatchJenShrink Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    :ohwell: in for the drama
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Name me one toxin that needs an external force (other than medical intervention re: organ failure or Sepsis) to clear?
    Would you agree that some things we ingest are toxic at some levels? Alcohol is an easy example. It can make you very sick, even kill you. The liver does remove it, in healthy people. But wouldn't you recommend a person who had drank scotch nightly for months to maybe take some time off? And if the police forced that upon someone they'd call it a 'detox'? Is it still a break to the liver if I give up alcohol for a month without it being an extreme intoxication issue?

I just think people take the word toxin too narrowly. Everything around us is toxic at some levels, even oxygen. So the digestive tract is given a break from alcohol, sugar, mercury in fish, whatever the hell else someone wants to give it a break from. Is it impossible to see that that might have some health benefit? If you see a food allergist he'll probably give you some bland diet to remove possible irritant foods, and then reintroduce them slowly. Isn't that also a detox of sorts?
  • LucasEVille
    Options
    Well Lucas, i guess we're at an impasse. I was skeptical at first as i like to do yoga more for the physical aspects than the mental, but i tried it and after 10 days i feel great. Clear skin, better digestion, don't fancy alcohol or sweets and i'm in a better mood and i put that down to the cleanse. You can't dispute that as i haven't felt this good after eating veg and chicken after 10 days.

And if you work for the NHS, why not give me some advice that i was actually asking for rather than tell me what i did for the last 10 days was wrong?

We're at an impasse as science is based on neutral evidence and not the profiteering of people, while your particular abstanance from food other than brown rice hasn't provided an economic positive to any particular entity, the current wave of "clense diets" are a complete and utter farce designed to milk money out of people. I want to make it clear this is in no way to compare with IF which there is some evidence coming through of positives but it needs to be explored further.

And you've been a member since July 2011, you don't need me to explain the basics of moderation, BMR, nutritional macros and calorific counting ;) However if your going to post about a "clense diet" then you cannot expect people not to speak out to avoid new users from picking up poor dietery habits.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    It's not selling me anything. It's not like i'm claiming there's a god or people should follow a religion. relax. My yoga group suggested it, i thought i would try it. So far, i've had results that i wouldn't have gotten elsewhere. And you're right, you can't get the same results eating other foods because the whole point is to give your digestive system a rest. And your whole "science" comment is rubbish because you didn't read what i said so i'll say it again. For everyway of eating you think is correct, someone somewhere will tell you it's wrong. I personally follow IIFYM, but that's just me. I decided to try something different and broaden my horizons, you should try it sometime.

You ate rice. That's not giving your digestive system a rest. If you actually followed the whole thing you consumed fruits and vegetables. That's not giving your digestive system a rest. Your teeth chewed the food, your stomach broke the food down, your intestines continued to break the food down and extract the vitamins and energy. Your body still had to process everything that went into your mouth.

You can get the same results from eating other foods. You probably would have gotten better results if you had eaten a balanced diet of all macronutrients. In fact, there is a version of your "cleanse" that looks almost identical to the Whole30 diet.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

As for my advice to you, OP- can you see in hindsight that what you ate was a very low calorie diet of brown rice and that what you did was not an actual cleanse? Organic brown rice is delicious but it has no special properties.

Why brown rice? 

Brown rice great for this cleanse due to a number of reasons: 

● It is high in fibre 
    ● Excellent for cleansing the colon 
    ● Acts  like  a  pipe  cleaner  in  your  intestine,  grabbing  nasty  toxins,  pollutants, 
    chemicals and pesticides. 
    ● It's  a  gentler  method  of  fasting  /  cleansing.  It's  soothing,  more  stabilising  and 
    grounding. 
    ● The complex carbohydrates from brown rice, metabolise and deliver energy giving 
    sugars slowly.  This the difference between fruits who have simple sugars.  These 
    metabolise fast, and therefore produce highs and lows in energy. 
    ● Brown  rice  detox  symptoms  are  less  severe than other cleanses, however  some 
    people still experience them 

By the way, why did you do this cleanse if not for weight loss?

Like i said before...

Why do a cleanse? 

It's a method of giving the digestive system a rest.  By eating one type of food, your body 
    only  has  to  digest  one  thing.  This  means  energy  usually  used  to  digest  food,  can  be 
    redirected and used to heal, cleanse and repair the body. 

The Ohsawa  diet  is recommended for 10 days.  Usually, 7 days of cleansing wipes the 
    slate  clean.  Your  body  is  usually  fully  cleansed,  reset  and  ready  to  run.  However, 
    depending on how toxic you are, 10 days makes sure most people receive the full benefits 
    of the cleanse. 

Effects of the Oshawa cleanse 
    1. Intensive  purification  &  massive  detox,  elimination  of  toxins accumulated in body 
    tissue (unpleasant physiological reactions) 
    2. What  if  i  am  already healthy?  This will refresh and give a general cleanse of the 
    body. 
    3. Purify the energy system.  Cleansing the NADIS .   
    4. Kapha  dosha (phlegm)  is reduced  which  hinders  the  movement  of energy in the 
    body.  This  purification results  =  significantly  immediate  clarification and  clarity of 
    mind; 
    5. Digestion improves significantly 
    6. Hormone secretions are regulated, 
    7. The skin is clean and bright. 
    8. Eyes are brighter with an unexplained power and lust for life, often foreign to them. 
    9. Excellent method to regulate weight, without starvation. 
    10. What if you’re underweight?  10 days of the Oshawa cleanse can normalize weigh t.
    11. Resistance to extreme hot and cold temperatures are amplified.   
    12. Sweating & body odours are reduced. 
    13. Yang status of the cleanse helps us to feel that we can better control our emotions. 
    14. For  those  who  are  addicted  to  drugs  or  toxic  substances  (alcohol,  coffee, 
    recreational drugs etc) the number 7 regime detoxifies the body. 
    15. INTENSE HEALING 
    16. Enhances  the  control  over  the  sexual  and  vital  energy,  is  effective  in  fighting 
    premature ejaculation.
    Thanks for sharing all this.

There is no doubt that brown rice is good, but it is not a cleanse anymore than a bunch of broccoli is-both will make you poddy when eaten in excess.

All that stuff about the Oshawa Cleanse- sorry, that is a fad and misleading. There is no reason to cleanse your body because your body normally cleanses itself.

Well, that's your opinion. I'm sure you'll find someone who will criticize and not believe in EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE. Do you eat meat? There's people that say you shouldn't eat meat. Don't eat meat? People say you should eat meat. You say broccoli will do the same? Other people will say the opposite.

I've given you the reasons why a brown rice cleanse works and why it's good to do a cleanse. I feel great and look much better. 10 days is not going to kill you. i tried it, i'm glad i did. i won't be doing it again anytime soon. i didn't do it for weight loss, that's a bonus.
    I think you're missing the point. You proclaim that this brown rice cleans does all these wonderful things to you, right now to putting the sparkle in your eye. I do eat meat but I don't claim that it has magical properties, for lack of a better term.

No, you've given me reasons why the brown rice cleanse works for you, because you seem to love whatever results it has given you. You are taking your experience and projecting onto society as a whole.

Really, there is no magic in brown rice. No offense intended, but eating nothing but brown rice for ten days might have made you feel better, but that does not mean it's going to make everyone else feel the same. From the propaganda you posted, it is clearly a fad despite the fact that you say you did not use it for weight loss.
  • LucasEVille
    Options
    Would you agree that some things we ingest are toxic at some levels? Alcohol is an easy example. It can make you very sick, even kill you. The liver does remove it, in healthy people. But wouldn't you recommend a person who had drank scotch nightly for months to maybe take some time off? And if the police forced that upon someone they'd call it a 'detox'? Is it still a break to the liver if I give up alcohol for a month without it being an extreme intoxication issue?

I just think people take the word toxin too narrowly. Everything around us is toxic at some levels, even oxygen. So the digestive tract is given a break from alcohol, sugar, mercury in fish, whatever the hell else someone wants to give it a break from. Is it impossible to see that that might have some health benefit? If you see a food allergist he'll probably give you some bland diet to remove possible irritant foods, and then reintroduce them slowly. Isn't that also a detox of sorts?

Yes thats called alcohol abuse, I said before that barring any outside influence such as illness, organ failure, sepsis etc.... Even then you wouldn't put someone straight into a full detox as it may irreversably harm them. Theres a process of quitting slowly or if you ever see an admission of someone with prolonged alcohol abuse you will see a bright yellow bag attached to the normal drip. This is an example of proven need to assist the liver.

I am assuming the OP isn't an alcoholic.

I also know full well regarding irritant foods, my mother has a serious food alergy. But that is a genetic based fault not a normal human function.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I wasn't talking about alcoholism. Even small amounts of alcohol are a toxin, technically.

The liver detoxifies us over time. But if you don't ingest toxins, that's also detoxifying. It's just semantics.
  • deanjcrawford
    Options

And you've been a member since July 2011, you don't need me to explain the basics of moderation, BMR, nutritional macros and calorific counting ;) However if your going to post about a "clense diet" then you cannot expect people not to speak out to avoid new users from picking up poor dietery habits.

Yes, i have. And i try to follow IIFYM (if it fits your macros) as closely as i can. I just decided to try something new with people that i like and trust. And i'm not promoting anything. I'm not telling people that they should do it, and initially i wasn't even going to post about the cleanse as i thought this thread would turn into a slanging match by children who wouldn't answer my actual question. But i thought no, i have to explain why the weight came off so i will. I guess iw as proved right. I have never eaten so few calories before so all i wanted to know was how to go about reintroducing calories and what to expect. You seem to know everything except the answer to my bloody question. Be productive or bore off. As for this point:

the current wave of "clense diets" are a complete and utter farce designed to milk money out of people

The only person who made money out of me was my local shop where i bought my rice and bottled water.

And USMCAMP....another person that only reads what he wants. You seem incapable of reading posts so i'll post it again.

" By eating one type of food, your body only has to digest one thing. This means energy usually used to digest food, can be redirected and used to heal, cleanse and repair the body."
  • deanjcrawford
    Options
    From the propaganda you posted, it is clearly a fad despite the fact that you say you did not use it for weight loss.

WTF iS wrong with you? I'm not spouting propaganda. i'm not putting up any links. READ ALL THE POSTS. I said i've done it, i liked the results, but i won't be doing it again anytime soon.

People are basically telling me i'm stupid so i posted up the benefits as i was told them before hand, and what i've seen since. Don't expect people to make me feel like a fool and not respond. Get a grip, love. I lift, i eat well (well, not for the last couple of months, hence a cleanse), i follow IIFYM, but i decided to try something different.

"What's that? Something different? BURN THE WITCH!!!!!"
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Well, look regardless of anything else, to answer your question, yes you may have a weight gain when returning to a normal diet.

I agree with one of the other posters - you will need to "reverse diet" and bring your calories back to your maintenance level slowly over a number of weeks if you want to keep the weight off that you lost. 10 days isn't a huge amount of time to be on such a restricted amount of calories, but you may see an increase.

I'd suggest bumping straight up to 1500 a day (which will still be a deficit) and then increase as you see fit until you get to your maintenance amount.
  • LucasEVille
    Options
    i thought this thread would turn into a slanging match by children who wouldn't answer my actual question.

As far as I'm aware there doesn't seem to be much of this in the thread, you have posted a controversial subject and must have as you said expected a debate. To then call the people debating children is interesting, as there seems to be little rational debate when I mention scientific proof.

Also I already said in my last post that I understand no one made any extra money out of yourself, however other people are currently paying for something that isn't proven and can be unsafe.

Also no one has said your stupid, I have mearly pointed out the benifits you have mentioned are touted by people out to profit from people "clensing".
  • LucasEVille
    Options
    I wasn't talking about alcoholism. Even small amounts of alcohol are a toxin, technically.

The liver detoxifies us over time. But if you don't ingest toxins, that's also detoxifying. It's just semantics.

I don't drink, but if I did are you suggesting my body could not proccess the toxins in a relatively short ammount of time?
This discussion has been closed.