Drinking coffee and tea w/caffeine Yes/No?

Options
Usually I drink some coffee in the morning and afternoon. At the evening I drink green tea, what is ok. I just feel cold all the time to be drinking cold water. I read coffee blocks the iron absorption by the body, and iron is mainly in red meat (which on a diet I am eating very few).

What do you say? Coffee: drinking or not? Same applies to tea with caffeine.

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Excuse me ... my Keurig just finished another cup that needs to work its way to my belly.
  • meluhneekay
    Options
    I've never heard the iron thing but, I mean, how does your body feel? Do you feel bad? Are you showing signs of iron deficiency? If not, then I say do what you want.

I personally drink 1-2 cups of coffee every morning, and tea throughout the day. I haven't experienced any problems. The only time I really drink water is after my cardio when I'm sweating bullets and desiring something ice cold.

But again...this is a person by person basis, I think. If you're really worried you might try switching your coffee for a black tea, like english breakfast tea or earl grey. Less caffeine than coffee but enough to give you a little boost if you need it.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Without caffeine, life is not worth living. Coffee without end...

giphy.gif
  • Alchemagician
    Alchemagician Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Without caffeine, life is not worth living. Coffee without end...

giphy.gif

^This. Forever.^
  • ArtemisRuns
    ArtemisRuns Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    You need coffee in the morning to help you change the things you can, and wine in the evening to help you accept the things you can't.
  • Nenya_Elvenring
    Nenya_Elvenring Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have exactly the same schedule. I only drink caffeinated drinks in the AM, because otherwise I'd never sleep - I can't even eat chocolate after right around suppertime (meaning the Blue Plate Special suppertime my household usually adopts :). Two coffees, then decaf green tea the rest of the day, water or seltzer with other meals, with the occasional splash of lemon or cranberry.
  • detox_pixie
    detox_pixie Posts: 166
    Options
    I now wait an hour before and after coffee or tea to eat iron rich foods. Seems to be working. That being said, while drinking coffee or tea, it seems to have become prime time for sweets. :)
  • Nenya_Elvenring
    Nenya_Elvenring Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You need coffee in the morning to help you change the things you can, and wine in the evening to help you accept the things you can't.

Can I get an AMEN!
  • fit_gal
    fit_gal Posts: 167
    Options
    I've tried decaf. Its nasty. Caffeine all the way ????
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Usually I drink some coffee in the morning and afternoon. At the evening I drink green tea, what is ok. I just feel cold all the time to be drinking cold water. I read coffee blocks the iron absorption by the body, and iron is mainly in red meat (which on a diet I am eating very few).

What do you say? Coffee: drinking or not? Same applies to tea with caffeine.

Im not 100% sure, but I think it applies to drinking it directly after food
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It actually has a lot of health benefits, so go for it.
  • oneloopygirl
    oneloopygirl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee every day... I pity anyone that tries to take that from me. The results could be ugly.
  • Tillyecl1
    Tillyecl1 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Absolutely yes. There is some evidence that caffeine improves exercise performance http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23573201.

Plus coffee is delicious :-)

P.S it's not the caffeine that causes the bad absorption, it's the polyphenol compounds found in tea\coffee\raspberries\apples\walnuts etc, but the effects can be minimised by drinking the tea and coffee between rather than with meals.
  • WallyH4EverVersion
    WallyH4EverVersion Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Yes, coffee with caffeine and yes to tea when you are out of coffee and on your way to buy more. :drinker: Cheers!!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I'm British. You can prize my tea from my cold, dead hands.... (Earl Grey, black, no sugar please... thank you :smile: )

The iron thing is real (there's something in tea that hinders the absorption of iron, don't know if it's in coffee or not, it's tannins not caffeine that's the issue) so I just eat more iron in my diet to compensate.

Also, regarding red meat, the most recent studies on that have shown a correlation between processed red meats (i.e. preserved meats like pate, smoked meats and the like) but this correlation wasn't there with less processed red meat (steaks, chops, etc) so if there is a health risk (there may not be because correlation does not necessarily mean causation) then it's likely to be something used in processing certain meat products, not the meat itself. If you're worried about not getting enough iron, then my advice would be to eat more red meat. Beans and dark green veggies are also rich in iron, but the haem iron (which is found in meat) is easier for the body to absorb than non-haem iron (the kind found in veggies) so bear that in mind.
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I'm a coffee drinking vegetarian and my iron levels are perfect.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes :bigsmile:
  • kborden36
    kborden36 Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Can I get an AMEN!

THIS!!! AMEN!!!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Tea is worse than coffee for blocking iron. In my humble opinion it is better to have too little iron than too much anyway.
  • ErynV15
    ErynV15 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'd be lost without my coffee. I usually have 1-2 cups in the morning, and then occasionally I'll have one in the afternoon or early evenings (but not often). In the evenings, if I want coffee or tea, I usually try to stick to decaf.