I can't get drunk

Options

Replies

• random_user75
    random_user75 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    :noway: Seriously? There is not one non-alcoholic drink that could do it for you? Most alcohol doesn't even taste good to a "virgin"--just saying...people don't usually start drinking for the "taste"...

Hmmmm...may I introduce you to Mr. Mai Tai?
    Oh yeah. That's all flavor. If I drank enough to get drunk, I'd be 10 pounds heavier by morning. Luckily when I was on vacation a couple weeks ago I drank guilt free because I kayaked for 2 hours first and had walked over 35 miles during the week. I do think half the drunk from Mai Tais is the sugar buzz.

Is your goal always to drink enough to get drunk?

Apparently that is the case. But don't dare call her an alcoholic, even if the high tolerance she is experiencing points in that direction.
    Be kind to your liver. Dying from cirrhosis is a horribly painful death. But you don't have to worry about weight loss anymore.

And when your liver craps out on you, you're back to getting drunk really easily! Wait, that's really bad. Don't do that. Stick with the be kind to your liver bit.
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I didnt read all the comments but there is an Irsh thing going on sooo IM NORTHER IRISH WOHOOO not the same as Irish just to be annoying haha

Shots lady, lots of shots and neck em drinks. Beer through a straw also seems to get ya tanked faster. Now go n drink like the Irish or come visit and I will show you how its done :drinker:

DOWN IN ONE!! DOWN IN ONE!!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    oops..double post.
    liquid breakfast
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    :noway: Seriously? There is not one non-alcoholic drink that could do it for you? Most alcohol doesn't even taste good to a "virgin"--just saying...people don't usually start drinking for the "taste"...

Hmmmm...may I introduce you to Mr. Mai Tai?
    Oh yeah. That's all flavor. If I drank enough to get drunk, I'd be 10 pounds heavier by morning. Luckily when I was on vacation a couple weeks ago I drank guilt free because I kayaked for 2 hours first and had walked over 35 miles during the week. I do think half the drunk from Mai Tais is the sugar buzz.

Not the way I used to make 'em :laugh: It's alllll in the ingredients.
    Appleton Estate Rum is too smooth & goes down real easy. I use Trader Vic's recipe
    http://postprohibition.com/recipes/trader-vics-mai-tai/

Gotta fuel those workouts somehow :wink:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    a lot of ignorant presumptions .

It can be the drink as well......
    Preumptions, ASSumptions, you name it.
  • ruthejp13
    ruthejp13 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have never said that my goal in drinking is to get drunk. There are the rare occasions that might be my goal.

We all learn from our mistakes. I'm not a yo-yo dieter. I have successfully lost weight and kept it off. I have also lost weight in my younger days the wrong way. I have changed my eating and drinking lifestyle so that I am healthy and can still enjoy life.

When medical anomalies occur, I question why. Thus the reason for this post.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I'm dutch/english, so am I a different race than someone who is irish...

I would have assumed we're all just white. TIA.

I am SO glad I'm not the only one who caught that.

OP, I found that when I was dieting I, too, got drunk way too easily. Sounds like you just have a high tolerance.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I have never said that my goal in drinking is to get drunk. There are the rare occasions that might be my goal.

We all learn from our mistakes. I'm not a yo-yo dieter. I have successfully lost weight and kept it off. I have also lost weight in my younger days the wrong way. I have changed my eating and drinking lifestyle so that I am healthy and can still enjoy life.

When medical anomalies occur, I question why. Thus the reason for this post.
    fwiw: if you are going through menopause, or taking HRT of any kind, you*may* find that your tolerance goes up.
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Wow what a load of buzzkillingtons you lot are. As long as no one is being hurt and its not a regular thing what's the harm in wanting to get buzzed once in a while?
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Wow what a load of buzzkillingtons you lot are. As long as no one is being hurt and its not a regular thing what's the harm in wanting to get buzzed once in a while?

Trust me, I'm not a buzz kill. I enjoy adult beverages very much :drinker:

I just found the language to be odd:

"If I'm going to get drunk, I'll need more than that"

The OP's phrasing implies that getting drunk is her ultimate goal.
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Yeah but so what? For many people getting drunk is the ultimate goal once in a while... or is it just an English thing?
  • matchbox_girl
    matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Alcohol tolerance. I have it, too. I'm kind of a lush.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Yeah but so what? For many people getting drunk is the ultimate goal once in a while... or is it just an English thing?

Meh. I drink because I like the taste of craft beer and good wine. Getting a buzz is nice, but I certainly wouldn't consider it a waste of calories or time if I was drinking something that tasted good and wasn't getting drunk. I have wine with dinner all the time because I enjoy wine, not because I'm looking to specifically get wasted.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Things that make you go HMMMMMMM.
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Are you just sitting and drinking or was there alot of time between drinks? If I just sit and drink, I'm gonna get drunk. If I have a drink and the do something have a couple & do something else it's not going to affect me the same way. Have a couple shots ot tequila then drink your wine, it will work. Good luck to ya! :drinker:
  • smilesback
    smilesback Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    The only time I couldn't get drunk was in a phase when I was drinking far too much and far too frequently - not getting drunk is a bit of a worry to be honest.
    Drinking to get a buzz is also a little concerning, I was drinking to temporarily escape from a situation rather than for enjoyment or for social reasons.

Really think you should talk this through with someone you totally trust and also record your intake to see if it's excessive. Certainly it crept up on me from being a sun-downer to unwind after a stressful day to drinking 4 times as much as anyone else on a night out. I didn't appreciate how bad I had got until I realised I needed a drink rather than wanted a drink.

If you are confident you don't have a drink problem (and crucially your loved ones / trusted ones agree) then an off the wall suggestion is to spend twice as much on your wine but drink half as much. Drink it for the pleasure of a fine bottle of wine rather than to get drunk.

Caring and thoughtful, experienced and the whole enchilada. I don't drink hardly at all and when I do, it is for all these reasons. So I choose not to drink ETOH.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I just read this on the BAC calculator. http://www.dui-usa.drinkdriving.org/BAC_bloodalcoholcontentcalculator.php

FACTORS THAT AFFECT YOUR BAC - Blood Alcohol Content

Numerous factors can affect an individuals BAC, these include:

The amount of alcohol a person consumes, the more they drink, the higher their BAC will become

The speed at which a person consumes alcohol, the faster a person drinks, the faster their BAC will rise

A persons gender. Alcohol is highly water soluble and a persons BAC is directly proportional to their total body water content. Females generally have less water in their bodies than males, this means that a female who drinks exactly the same amount of alcohol as a male, in the same space of time, will generally have a higher BAC.

A persons weight. The more a person weighs generally means the more water they will have in their bodies, meaning any alcohol ingested will produce a lower alcohol to blood ratio than that of a person weighing less. This is because the alcohol is "spread out" more "thinly".

A persons fat/muscle content. Fatty tissue does not absorb alcohol very well, alcohol will be absorbed a lot more into other tissues which are rich in water such as muscle. If two people weighing 90kg, one a tall thin person and the other a small fat person consumed the same amount of alcohol, the small fat person would have a higher BAC than the thin person.

A persons metabolism (the rate at which alcohol is processed and eliminated by the body). This can vary from person to person, however, the average person will eliminate 15ml of alcohol per hour. Heavy drinkers may have more active livers and can therefore eliminate more alcohol than average. People with liver disease may have less active livers and will therefore eliminate alcohol slower.

Medication and the amount of food in the stomach can also have an effect on the rate at which alcohol is absorbed into the body and subsequently eliminated. Younger people also tend to metabolize alcohol more quickly than older people.
  • ruthejp13
    ruthejp13 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I've been dieting for 7 months straight now with daily calories between 1000-1550 per day and the occasional 2000 calorie day. I've cut way back on my drinking because of the calories. But the few times I've drank heavily, Super Bowl Sunday and last night in particular, I allocated for the calories but couldn't even catch a buzz. At Super Bowl I was drinking vodka and Crystal Light, last night I drank an entire bottle of red wine. There have been at least a half dozen other times since the diet that I've felt like it was a total waste of time and calories. Any thoughts? Any medical reasons why dieting deters drunkeness?

Both of these times I was NOT TRYING to get DRUNK. I drank heavily because I was trying to simply enjoy a little buzz with no effect what-so-ever.

As many have suggested, if I wanted to get DRUNK, I'd try shots of Tequila.
    fwiw: if you are going through menopause, or taking HRT of any kind, you*may* find that your tolerance goes up.

Interesting thought about menopause although not the case yet. However, I can say some times of the month I can hardly drink anything without feeling nauseous. I think you hit the nail on the head with female timing.
    FACTORS THAT AFFECT YOUR BAC - Blood Alcohol Content
    Thank you for all of that!
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I'm from an Irish background and share your problem - what helps is not eating - then drinking.

You I myself & DeadPool - takes a great deal to make us feel anything but glib ;b
  • cnmnmk
    cnmnmk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a build up of tollerance to me. How often do you really drink?