Weighted hula hoops

Options
2»

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Again - perhaps counter intuitively - the bigger the hoop the easier it is.
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    That's interesting - my (non-weighted) hoop comes to around my chest (I'm 5'3") and I am struggling to keep momentum without the hoop coming down my legs to the floor. Is my hoop too big for me I wonder?

The bigger/heavier the hoop is, the easier it is to work with because you can go slower. Smaller/lighter hoops travel much faster, which means you have a harder time keeping up with them. :smile:
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    OK - thank you. I think my hoop could be too light for me as a beginner as I seem to be working really hard to keep it above waist.

I did buy it off eBay, so it is possibly a toy. It's very lightweight.
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    OK - thank you. I think my hoop could be too light for me as a beginner as I seem to be working really hard to keep it above waist.

I did buy it off eBay, so it is possibly a toy. It's very lightweight.

Those are great for arm and off the body tricks. While I do know some beautiful hoop artists who can spin like crazy with small light hoops, I'm not one of them. I still have trouble just keeping it on my waist. :laugh:
  • Blackthorne82
    Options
    Hey I've got a 40" 625g (about 1.4lbs) weighted hoop in black & sparkly purple - I am a magpie hehe. I'm 5'3" and my hoop comes to just above my belly button - I have a short body and lanky 31" legs. It takes more movement on my part to keep a weighted one up and not falling to the hips which will give you painful bruises... I speak from experience whereas the un-weighted ones seem to just go round on their own momentum helped by the swaying, but using an un-weighted is not as rewarding it doesn't get my heart pumping like a weighted one does.
  • JagerLewis
    JagerLewis Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Hey I've got a 40" 625g (about 1.4lbs) weighted hoop in black & sparkly purple - I am a magpie hehe. I'm 5'3" and my hoop comes to just above my belly button - I have a short body and lanky 31" legs. It takes more movement on my part to keep a weighted one up and not falling to the hips which will give you painful bruises... I speak from experience whereas the un-weighted ones seem to just go round on their own momentum helped by the swaying, but using an un-weighted is not as rewarding it doesn't get my heart pumping like a weighted one does.
    Awesome! Thank you! I'm a shorty as well...I'm ALMOST 5'3", but short legs. :smile:
  • davidepatterson
    davidepatterson Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've actually tried one of these bad boys recently and it is quite a workout. I am a CrossFit instructor so that says a lot. I met the lady who founded PowerHoopz.com, carries a wide variety of weighted hula hoops, and was able to use of her hoops and they were well made and easier to hoop with than an unweighted BUT took more energy. She's actually going to be featured on the Home Shopping Network on July 10th, so you can see her talk about it on there. Her name is Chris Lowe.
  • pookeyism
    pookeyism Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Check for local hula hoop groups, and failing that poi or slack liner groups, maybe belly dancers - somewhere you are going to find someone who custom makes them, and usually cheaper than online, etc AND they love, love, love to have you come try them first...

Speaking of poi - it is excellent for upper body, and you don't even know you are working out, lol.
  • pookeyism
    pookeyism Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'll just leave this right here:love::flowerforyou: :wink:

http://www.hooplove.org/2011/05/plus-size-hooping.html