Dont starve yourself they say

Options

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    That has to be frustrating, but believe me, she is not doing herself any favors. There is a whole slew of medical problems that are results of bulimia, believe me you don't want to invite those into your life. Honestly, I would advise you to just cut ties with her and stay away, that is not a path you need to be tempted to go down.

On another note, I find dieting and weight loss annoying and tedious. I found it very helpful to set a fitness goal (currently training for my first half marathon) to help me along the way. Not only does it help with the weight loss, but I get a lot more satisfaction from hitting a new distance than I do slowly watching the pounds slowly drop off. Plus it has given me a whole new outtake on food; using it to fuel my workouts with the balance of still keeping a deficit and losing.

Hope you get in a better place soon. Best wishes~
    My goal is to get my Facebook back. Haven't had it for half a year and won't let myself get back on til I reach my goal.

not really the same thing.....

when you set a new PR it makes you feel like such a badass, that high can last quite a while :)
  • Artionis
    Artionis Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    It's called bulimia nervosa. It is a serious, potentially life-threatening eating disorder. DISORDER. If you meet a woman with stage 3 cancer who has lost more weight than you are you jealous of her weight loss? Or grateful to be healthy?

You are the architect of your life. "Lynn" is the architect of her life. And "Lynn" is doing a piss poor pathetic job. I fail to see why you consider her to be a role model for life choices.

Get better friends. Seriously. Get friends who are role models for living a healthy, fulfilling life.
  • TasteofEnvy
    TasteofEnvy Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I've heard meth addiction is a great way to lose weight too. Maybe you should start doing that? I mean...it's easier than actually being disciplined and putting effort into your physical health and working hard to achieve your goals.

Yup, that's it. Meth is totally the solution.
    but meth costs money haha. starving yourself is freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee~
    (^ said with humor)
    I understand your message.... it's just hard. Have you never had anyone in your life get things the easy way? And if you have, have you never wished there was an easy button? Or wished you could just do what they did just as easily? I plan on staying healthy... I'm just going through a sad phase right now b/c I want to lose weight just as easily as her.

Your friend is starving herself, and throwing up. This doesn't sound easy to me; it sounds sad. And it's actually really sad that you don't see that.
    you don't think I've tried to stop her? You don't think I tried talking to her mother or brothers? They don't care.
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Slow & steady wins the race. You're better off than she is in the long run because she will have lasting effects from what she is doing to herself. You will be healthy.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Yet my friend, "Lynn", does just that. And she's lost 27 pounds in just 3 months.... It's taken me six months just to lose 26.
    I exercise and watch what I eat. I have a standing job.
    She sits at her computer all day, starving herself. If she does eat, it's junk food, and then she makes herself throw up.

That sounds healthy. :eyeroll:

5bUfqWh.gif

Do something you can sustain for the rest of your life. Do you really want to be purging and puking, eating the enamel off your teeth for the rest of your life? Real and safe change is gradual and sustainable.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    You need to find more in your life than your weight. Your contentment should not be based solely on what you weigh. Getting to a healthy weight should be about your health, not about entire sense of self esteem. This should be a lifestyle change, not a diet, not a disorder, and I can tell you from personal experience that bulimia is no fun at all, and nor is starvation, aka anorexia. It sounds as if your friend is more in the realm of binge/purge subtype anorexia. Her weight loss will not last, unless she continues to the point where she literally starves and purges herself to death. You can literally drop dead from the electrolyte imbalances caused by bulimia, if it is severe enough and it can permanently damage the digestive system.

If your weight is so important to you that it is worth risking your life for, then I think maybe you should be seeking some sort of counselling.
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Big difference caloric restriction and bulimia nervosa. One is a weight loss strategy. The other is a psychological disorder.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    You need to find more in your life than your weight. Your contentment should not be based solely on what you weigh. Getting to a healthy weight should be about your health, not about entire sense of self esteem. This should be a lifestyle change, not a diet, not a disorder, and I can tell you from personal experience that bulimia is no fun at all, and nor is starvation, aka anorexia. It sounds as if your friend is more in the realm of binge/purge subtype anorexia. Her weight loss will not last, unless she continues to the point where she literally starves and purges herself to death. You can literally drop dead from the electrolyte imbalances caused by bulimia, if it is severe enough and it can permanently damage the digestive system.

If your weight is so important to you that it is worth risking your life for, then I think maybe you should be seeking some sort of counselling.

x1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Oh yuck - you don't want to be like that surely? She needs mental health help....
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to lose weight like that? Puking... no nutrition..please tell me you're a troll.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Would you rather be smaller with rotten teeth and bald patches (just to name a few), or be generally fitter and healthier? Your friend's strategy will only get you the first.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    in those psychology classes of yours, OP, perhaps you should read the chapter on eating disorders, and realize that what your friend Lynn is up to is not wise.
  • TasteofEnvy
    Options
    in those psychology classes of yours, OP, perhaps you should read the chapter on eating disorders, and realize that what your friend Lynn is up to is not wise.
    I have. But saying that is like telling every psych major they need to be perfect and not have any disorders or ever consider doing something stupid. I have not met a single psych professor or therapist who has not struggled, or continued to struggle, in their own way.
    Don't get me wrong... overall I understand it's unhealthy and wrong. But it's a little disheartening to see it working for someone and has yet to show any bad side affects.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight innumerable amounts of ways. It's KEEPING the weight off that's the hard part.

As soon as your friends starts eating regularly again, it's highly likely she'll gain it all back and then some.

Moderation is the key to success.
  • russkiballerina
    russkiballerina Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    As someone who's had anorexia nervosa for many years and developed afib as a result and had to have a heart ablation and now suffers with many other health related BS (mostly not related to AN, but the heart BS still is), let me tell you your post is srsly pretty damn offensive.

You can't "wish" to have an eating disorder, as I am sure you know. It's a psychiatric disorder and it's mainly about control, not food. You develop the disorder due to genetics and environment, not because you want to lose weight and think it's the "easy way"

There is absolutely nothing easy about having an eating disorder - AN specifically has the highest mortality rate of any psychiatric illness and bulimia doesn't fall too fa behind.

Please take a second look at what you wrote.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I have. But saying that is like telling every psych major they need to be perfect and not have any disorders or ever consider doing something stupid. I have not met a single psych professor or therapist who has not struggled, or continued to struggle, in their own way.
    Don't get me wrong... overall I understand it's unhealthy and wrong. But it's a little disheartening to see it working for someone and has yet to show any bad side affects.

well, I don't wish bad side effects on your friend, but if she keeps it up, that's what's going to happen. I know it sucks, but patience is worth it in this endeavor.
  • NikkiX0X0
    NikkiX0X0 Posts: 16
    Options
    Dude it is not easier to just starve yourself . Take it from someone who did that for a few years . It goes beyond just starving yourself . There's so much more too it . Its torture and you cant just stop when you want too .

Thanks to my eating disorder I have :

- Had hella seizures , resulting in me losing my license , resulting in me losing my job .
    - I have holes in my heart .
    - Possibly cant have kids , ever .
    - My mind is still ****ed .
    - Ive hit my head hella times during the seizures , mild brain trauma
    - There was a point where I gained weight eating only an egg and an apple a day , not just water weight , now I eat like six times a day and its pretty ****in dope if I don't say so myself .
    - But the biggest struggle is...MY MIND IS STILL COMPLETELY ****ED UP EVEN AFTER A YEAR OF TRYING TO REPROGRAM IT INTO A NORMAL PERSONS EATING & EXERCISE HABITS . A YEAR IN RECOVERY .

I cant be mad that you feel this way , cuz I understand in some ways . But its a road you don't wanna go down . Feel bad for your friend , don't envy her .

Congrats on the weight you've lost , keep doing it the healthy way .
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

This sounds like you would feel better if she were suffering from side effects. I am going to assume that is not what you mean here. She is harming herself and you know this. Take a step back for a minute, breath, and then think about what you want and what is the best (healthiest) way to go about it.
  • TasteofEnvy
    Options
    Dude it is not easier to just starve yourself . Take it from someone who did that for a few years . It goes beyond just starving yourself . There's so much more too it . Its torture and you cant just stop when you want too .

Thanks to my eating disorder I have :

- Had hella seizures , resulting in me losing my license , resulting in me losing my job .
    - I have holes in my heart .
    - Possibly cant have kids , ever .
    - My mind is still ****ed .
    - Ive hit my head hella times during the seizures , mild brain trauma
    - There was a point where I gained weight eating only an egg and an apple a day , not just water weight , now I eat like six times a day and its pretty ****in dope if I don't say so myself .
    - But the biggest struggle is...MY MIND IS STILL COMPLETELY ****ED UP EVEN AFTER A YEAR OF TRYING TO REPROGRAM IT INTO A NORMAL PERSONS EATING & EXERCISE HABITS . A YEAR IN RECOVERY .

I cant be mad that you feel this way , cuz I understand in some ways . But its a road you don't wanna go down . Feel bad for your friend , don't envy her .

Congrats on the weight you've lost , keep doing it the healthy way .
    I'm sorry you went through that. This post meant a lot to me. I may actually show this to my friend as well.
  • TasteofEnvy
    Options

This sounds like you would feel better if she were suffering from side effects. I am going to assume that is not what you mean here. She is harming herself and you know this. Take a step back for a minute, breath, and then think about what you want and what is the best (healthiest) way to go about it.
    no q.q
    i would never want anything bad to happen to her, which is why I tried telling her mom/brothers. But they don't care. And she won't listen to me.